July 26, 2014, 07:21:13 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 65935 times)

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
As stated, MP count isn't necessarily the most important factor, or even an important factor for many.  The 21 MP of the 5DII was fine, the 18 MP of the 1D X is fine. 

The big improvement, IMO, is the AF system of the 5DIII.  It's still not 1D X AF, and as I expected the metering is the 7D's metering system (and 60D, 600D, etc.), not the 100K RGB sensor of the 1D X, and that sensor also assists the AF system. 

Obviously it's still very early, but what are your initial thoughts/guesses on this AF system and the 41 cross points?  Is this essentially the 7D's AF system transplanted into FF with more points?

If certainly looks to me like the camera features the same button-lock in the center of the mode dial, as on the 60D (and optional retrofit for the 5DII and 7D).  I'm not happy about this 'feature' since anything that slows down a mode change is annoying.

As a 60D user, I can tell you that after the first few times you use the camera you'll develop a new technique and muscle memory and you won't even notice the lock is there.  I change my modes on the fly without even thinking about the lock, I just think clicks (different modes).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:11:53 PM by bigblue1ca »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »

5) 6 fps....not the 6.9fps/7fps we saw in the earlier specs.  That one item is a near deal breaker for me and why I'm strongly leaning towards the 1Dx.  I have a 5Dmk2 and a 7D, I shoot work across the spectrum....kids...high school...weddings...studio...sports.  I need the higher frame rate and 8fps does that for me.  I'm not looking to have "a camera for X and a camera for Y and a camera for Z".  I just want one and a backup body.  The 5D3 does not go far enough for me to do that if I sell the 5D2 and replace it with the 5D3.  It comes close, but I'd still be shooting the 7D for the frame rate.

However........

What could make the difference is if the AF/Metering in the 5D3 is improved enough over the 7D to compensate for a lower frame rate....in other words, I might get fewer shots in the burst, but the AF improvements result in more of them in solid focus.  In addition, if the 5D3 shares the 1Dx's ability to shoot RAW's of 50-60 frames with a decent CF card before the buffer starts to complain, that could, with improved AF, offset the 6fps vs. the 7D's 8fps vs. the 1Dx's 12fps.  I'd be happy if I can shoot 6fps and get 30 RAWs before the buffer causes the frame rate to stutter. 

So, if the 5D3 can shoot 6fps sustained for 30 RAW shots, with AF and metering resulting in a higher number of in-focus and well exposed images, I'd give it serious consideration over a 1Dx.  If it's ISO noise at at 6400 is improved by 1 to 2 stops, that will be a bonus.  If it cannot perform at these levels, I'm going 1Dx to get to where I need to be.

I'd much rather spend $3500 on a 5D3 than $6800 on a 1Dx if I can get 90% of what I need and no deal breakers.  My gut tells me the 5D3 will not do this, but I'll wait until it's out and in some folks hands before deciding.  I have time, not like I need to buy a body today or in the next 3 months.

Thanks for your thoughts.

How many frames can you get with your 7D before buffer stutters?   It seems to me that fps is not the best metric; maybe number of sustained frames before buffer fills is better performance measure. That, in turn, is clearly a function of shutter speed being used and file size (RAW vs JPG) - and that changes for every shooting situation.   The fastest shutter speed is limited by the available light and lens being used.

With my 7D, I shoot my dog chasing other dogs in dog park.  On a sunny day, I typically shoot in AI Servo mode at ISO 400 at about 1/250 sec shutter speed and f/8 with 70-300 zoom, which results in less than 30 sustained RAW frames (25 MB/frame) before buffer fills.   I'm very happy with this.   

I could use even higher ISO with faster shutter speed, and get more sustained frames, but this would reduce IQ. Some performance trades need to be made.

The 7D rating of 8 fps must be quoted for some shooting condition, but I honestly do not know what that is.  I could not find any such spec in the 7D user's guide. 

Obviously, the maximum number of sustained frames is achievable in lots of light with the fastest shutter speed available.   

In the end, I think the performance difference between 6 fps and 6.9 fps quoted for the 5D3 would be very hard to measure.  And not that relevant. 
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

Eric

« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »

6/ And yes I would love to have a full frame with no Video, but better ISO and AF with a price that would not bring me to huge troubles about what-if I loose or break my camera-body.

I still hope for 5DMx could be it. ;-)

Yeah I guess a lot of us want that … but Canon won't hear it !!! :(
Sorry, you won't get this. Other than a mic input, onboard mic, and maybe one button, there are no other hardware differences between adding video and not. All the features are mostly software based so it doesn't add alot to the price. Just think, the Canon t2i does video just as well as the 5D mark II (minus the full frame) and canon didn't add more than $50 to the cost of the t1i. My 60D has full manual audio control as well and that is a cheap camera. It really does not add much to the price.

I think there are other differences as a consequence of adding video. As others have stated, the MP's of the 5D III are likely a direct result of optimizing for video (and a subject of much discussion by those concerned primarily about stills). If video were not a consideration, what choices would Canon have made with respect to MP's? It may not affect the price significantly, but it does affect specification choices. (I know the OP was concerned about saving money, but I wanted to add this anyway.)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

Well, the D800 may have lower cost...higher shutter actuations...I'm sure a Nikon fan could list other objective advantages.

First, we dont know price, it's unknown until it really hits retail sites... secondly, you want objective comparisons of A) a camera that isn't RELEASED and B) a camera that isn't even announced.  Just looking at pure specs... AF advantage Canon, Metering/Tracking advantage unknown, MP advantage Nikon/maybe/depends/we will see, AF Pop-up flash advantage Nikon/depending if you pro/con pop up flash, FPS advantage Canon, IQ advantage unknown, is this what you are looking for?  Wait at least until tonight when we get the full scope and can compare paper to paper, but then again, we wont fully know until we get tests of production models... it's a pointless comparison right now. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
If certainly looks to me like the camera features the same button-lock in the center of the mode dial, as on the 60D (and optional retrofit for the 5DII and 7D).  I'm not happy about this 'feature' since anything that slows down a mode change is annoying.

As a 60D user, I can tell you that after the first few times you use the camera you'll develop a new technique and muscle memory and you won't even notice the lock is there.  I change my modes on the fly without even thinking about the lock, I just think clicks (different modes).
As a 60D user also, it is REALLY annoying when switching from Manual mode where I shoot to video mode which is the extreme other end of the dial. Otherwise, I don't switch modes so the lock is not an issue but going from manual to video is a freaking pain.

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
interesting (if true) things missing:

iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor instead of the 100K pixel sensor of the 1DX. Does this mean no face recognition? Unlike nikon's D800, canon seems to have crippled the metering on the 5DII.

Video Resolution – Full HD 1080. NOT 4K. I expected this because storing and processing  4K is no easy task and it won't happen on a mere 5D line camera. This is high end more suited to the canon C line.

AF system looks the same as the 1DX this means no f/8 AF.

Things not listed that seem strange:
Uncompressed clean HDMI like the nikons.
Audio monitor jack for headphones.
Framerate for the 1080. I suspect it will be 30fps just like the 1DX

So how credible is that list? not sure but everything looks right in line with reasonable expectations so I'm going to belive it.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »

First, we dont know price, it's unknown until it really hits retail sites... secondly, you want objective comparisons of A) a camera that isn't RELEASED and B) a camera that isn't even announced.  Just looking at pure specs... AF advantage Canon, Metering/Tracking advantage unknown, MP advantage Nikon/maybe/depends/we will see, AF Pop-up flash advantage Nikon/depending if you pro/con pop up flash, FPS advantage Canon, IQ advantage unknown, is this what you are looking for?  Wait at least until tonight when we get the full scope and can compare paper to paper, but then again, we wont fully know until we get tests of production models... it's a pointless comparison right now.

I know the price, it's $3499.  I just went to my local store and preordered it, they already had an SKU.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts.

How many frames can you get with your 7D before buffer stutters?   It seems to me that fps is not the best metric; maybe number of sustained frames before buffer fills is better performance measure. That, in turn, is clearly a function of shutter speed being used and file size (RAW vs JPG) - and that changes for every shooting situation.   The fastest shutter speed is limited by the available light and lens being used.

With my 7D, I shoot my dog chasing other dogs in dog park.  On a sunny day, I typically shoot in AI Servo mode at ISO 400 at about 1/250 sec shutter speed and f/8 with 70-300 zoom, which results in less than 30 sustained RAW frames (25 MB/frame) before buffer fills.   I'm very happy with this.   

I could use even higher ISO with faster shutter speed, and get more sustained frames, but this would reduce IQ. Some performance trades need to be made.

The 7D rating of 8 fps must be quoted for some shooting condition, but I honestly do not know what that is.  I could not find any such spec in the 7D user's guide. 

Obviously, the maximum number of sustained frames is achievable in lots of light with the fastest shutter speed available.   

In the end, I think the performance difference between 6 fps and 6.9 fps quoted for the 5D3 would be very hard to measure.  And not that relevant.

Lighting conditions will slow the max burst of the 7D down. I'm not sure if it's true with other cameras or not. But in low light the burst slows to 5fps or so. Bryan at The Digital Picture noted this in his review and suppose the metering system was the bottle neck in low light situations. You can try it with the lens cap on. However, if you are in AV or TV mode you can use exposure lock to "override" it and get 8fps regardless of lighting.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor instead of the 100K pixel sensor of the 1DX. Does this mean no face recognition? Unlike nikon's D800, canon seems to have crippled the metering on the 5DII.

Ok, here's the deal. Just because the 5D Mark III doesn't have all the features of the 1Dx doesn't mean it's "crippled". It just means it's a cheaper camera and can't have all the features.

I think we need to stop using the word "crippled".
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

gputah

« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

As a 60D user also, it is REALLY annoying when switching from Manual mode where I shoot to video mode which is the extreme other end of the dial. Otherwise, I don't switch modes so the lock is not an issue but going from manual to video is a freaking pain.

It appears that he 5dMKIII will have the Live View/video mode button on the back to the right of the view finder like the 7D. No need to touch the dial for video mode. Move it to M, flip the switch to move and click the start button. Of course, I may not even be close to what you are talking about as I do not have a 60D, just a 7D and a 5DMKII.

canonpro

not sure about those photos of the new 5d3
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
As a long time canon pro user, I really don't believe that those are images are of the new 5d3. It's hard to believe that canon would have a control dial put back on the top of the camera body like their pro consumer camera bodies. This camera looks like the new model Canon is going to release later this year that will be more geared toward upgrading the video features of a new 7D type of body with a full frame sensor.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »

Video Resolution – Full HD 1080. NOT 4K. I expected this because storing and processing  4K is no easy task and it won't happen on a mere 5D line camera. This is high end more suited to the canon C line.

So how credible is that list? not sure but everything looks right in line with reasonable expectations so I'm going to belive it.

The list is very credible.

For example, no mention is made of the data rate for H.264 or MPEG-4, just that those formats are available.

Further, we know there is a headphone jack (from the pictures.)

Wait for the full announcement and you'll see.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: not sure about those photos of the new 5d3
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »
As a long time canon pro user, I really don't believe that those are images are of the new 5d3. It's hard to believe that canon would have a control dial put back on the top of the camera body like their pro consumer camera bodies. This camera looks like the new model Canon is going to release later this year that will be more geared toward upgrading the video features of a new 7D type of body with a full frame sensor.

Troll.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: not sure about those photos of the new 5d3
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been addressed.  But is anyone else curious as to the purpose of the CR1616 battery listed in the box contents?  That's a nickle-sized, flat disc type battery.

For date/time functions to keep running when you are charging your batteries

It came factory installed on my new 50D and 7D and my CLP 7D. When you read the "Getting Started" section of the manual there is no mention of installing the CRxxxx battery. It's back in the "Replacing the Date/Time Battery" section. I imagine the 40D and 5D2 are the same.

Boy, don't I feel stupid  :-\  I've been shooting with a 5DMKII that I bought new a year ago and I swear I don't remember seeing or installing this battery.  But I just looked in the manual and sure enough, there it is on page 217.  Did this come factory installed on the Mark II?
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

People pointed out in other posts that they saw a Mic icon on the side of the inputs so it may have that, just check again tonight when it's announced... Uncompressed HDMI, check tonight, framerate, check tonight.  List looks like NL's list, so I assume that's where he got his list.  F8, check tonight, 4000 resolution video, uhh.... severely doubt it... If the C300 doesn't have it, no shot in heck this does. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »