November 28, 2014, 03:02:27 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 69912 times)

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
I think we should just keep saving our pennies and get the 1dx

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
Seriously... has Canon introduced full-time AF (autofocus) during video shooting starting from 5D Mark III ? I have been longing for this feature for a couple years now.

I highly doubt it, there are too many situations that you would want manual control for that.  I do suspect there are some video features that we don't know about just yet, as the spec list didn't talk much about that aspect of it.

OK. Having the feature and not using it is fine. But not offering the feature is a total different story.  Just think how seldom you have been switching to manual. I guess most people stay on AF most of the time.

And the argument would be while all point-and-shoots, Micro 4/3s, and Nikon have it for a couple years, why is Canon not offering it?

hows this for food for thought... Lets say they get it in there... it's finicky, but it's there... Lets say you are filming your kids recital or even better, lets say you film your kids graduation outdoors... the kid is walking across the stage, all of a sudden a bird flys by, the AF freaks out, focuses on the new object, you lose focus that critical moment, then it's over... I've seen a lot of video cameras that do continuous AF do just this... The noise and grumblings about the feature would be so great it would be deafening... And secondly, the 60D, 7d, 5d2, etc... when you have IS lenses, you can hear the freaking IS buzzing in your shots... if you have regular lenses, you're going to hear whirling of the lens, even USM has some movement noise, all that's going to be picked up by the video feed... so unless you then have an external mic or get rid of all on board mic audio, it creates more havoc then good.  In theory it sounds good, but this camera, in particular, is geared for pro's and semi pros and advanced amateurs... Even the weakest indi shooter wants their own control.  If you want a dumbed down video camera, buy a $200 walmart special.

Again, you are thinking in a pro-Canon way.
I have been using a Canon T1i with MF video of my kid. You wouldn't understand how hard it has been.

Don't find birds flying through as an excuse because there are no birds in 99% of the time.

Yes I am a pro shooter and "pro" canon, and I fully understand where you're getting at... I'm just explaining there are more liabilities and roadblocks that is to be hand, let alone the fact that it can go through more lenses AF motors even more quickly and depending on the lens, it could be more bad than good.  Canon TYPICALLY dont half a$$ things and if there is something that could cause them any more bad press, they may be more inclined to not partake. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Smith

« Reply #317 on: March 01, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
More details released from French magazine article

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=40776144

D.Sim

« Reply #318 on: March 01, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »

Yes I am a pro shooter and "pro" canon, and I fully understand where you're getting at... I'm just explaining there are more liabilities and roadblocks that is to be hand, let alone the fact that it can go through more lenses AF motors even more quickly and depending on the lens, it could be more bad than good.  Canon TYPICALLY dont half a$$ things and if there is something that could cause them any more bad press, they may be more inclined to not partake.
Agree with you here... AF on movie mode is just too... unpredictable for Canon to implement without knowing its foolproof...
One thing that could work though - being able to pre-set focal distances, and use the multi controller to switch to your chosen distance. Pre-set focal distances of your choice - press multi controller in selected position - during shoot, use multi controller to quickly move to a set distance of your choice. Its like having a focus puller =D

tbubrick

« Reply #319 on: March 01, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
When will sample shots be posted?

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
Anybody knows if it has 60fps?

Doesn't say.

No full specs yet.

I'm really hoping it does slow motion. My plan was to sell the 7D and replace it with the 5D mk III, but I use the slow motion all the time. Hmmm. Decisions....

A french magazine appears to say 30p is the max.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
Apparently they have removed the option to change view finder focusing screens. :(

French mag claims they use the actual 1DX AF sensor, certainly very good if so, but it says nothing about whether they lock out high precision, fast lens stills mode or whether it has the same speed and AI Servo tracking logic. We can hope.

It says that you can shoot 16,000 large, highest quality jpgs at 6fps in a row before the buffer will overflow.

It says that all moire and aliasing problems have been removed from the video mode.

It also says a stinking 6fps. Man this thing needed the 6.9 or 7.5fps of all the earlier rumors sooooooooooo badly for it to really look good. :(  Hopefully they just rounded down from 6.9  ;D.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:41:23 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »
Specs are as are not bad, but they already seem like Canon could have delivered them a while back and the price increase of $800 is insanity if these specs are to the T.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. The 5DIII is my DREAM camera. But until I turn this hobby into a profession I just cannot justify paying more than 2500ish for a new camera. I can buy sooo many other things for 3500 dollars(I'm almost at an M9 by then.)
The specs just seem like what I've been wanting in the 5DII for all this time, not like some revolutionary new features that blow my mind and make me consider spending amounts i've never considered spending on anything other than a car.
I don't see the reason why after 3.5 years the technology hasn't improved enough to make similar specs to these in a 2000-2800 dollar body.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »

Note a few things from the French article:

Always the best/strongest
Canon interviewed thousands of users and has used their suggestions.
100% viewfinder coverage
More realistic colours
150000 shutter actuation life rather than 100000 with the 5DMKII

Revised AF
-Uses the same 61 point AF module of the 1DX usable up to f5.6

-Canon has chosen to concentrate on image quality rather than image size (megapixels)

-With ISO becoming more important to photographers and videographers the ISO is now up to 25600 (with boost up to 100200)
-This new sensor captures images without moiré or aliasing
-The benchmark of the MKII is broken with the new Digic 5 processor.

Professional technology
The dual card slots allow mirroring or separating your JPEGs and RAW files.

Our recommendation
-We would have liked to have had a pop up flash

Note the f/5.6 for the AF....means no AF at f/8 just like the 1Dx.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #324 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Seriously... has Canon introduced full-time AF (autofocus) during video shooting starting from 5D Mark III ? I have been longing for this feature for a couple years now.

I highly doubt it, there are too many situations that you would want manual control for that.  I do suspect there are some video features that we don't know about just yet, as the spec list didn't talk much about that aspect of it.

OK. Having the feature and not using it is fine. But not offering the feature is a total different story.  Just think how seldom you have been switching to manual. I guess most people stay on AF most of the time.

And the argument would be while all point-and-shoots, Micro 4/3s, and Nikon have it for a couple years, why is Canon not offering it?

hows this for food for thought... Lets say they get it in there... it's finicky, but it's there... Lets say you are filming your kids recital or even better, lets say you film your kids graduation outdoors... the kid is walking across the stage, all of a sudden a bird flys by, the AF freaks out, focuses on the new object, you lose focus that critical moment, then it's over... I've seen a lot of video cameras that do continuous AF do just this... The noise and grumblings about the feature would be so great it would be deafening... And secondly, the 60D, 7d, 5d2, etc... when you have IS lenses, you can hear the freaking IS buzzing in your shots... if you have regular lenses, you're going to hear whirling of the lens, even USM has some movement noise, all that's going to be picked up by the video feed... so unless you then have an external mic or get rid of all on board mic audio, it creates more havoc then good.  In theory it sounds good, but this camera, in particular, is geared for pro's and semi pros and advanced amateurs... Even the weakest indi shooter wants their own control.  If you want a dumbed down video camera, buy a $200 walmart special.

Again, you are thinking in a pro-Canon way.
I have been using a Canon T1i with MF video of my kid. You wouldn't understand how hard it has been.

Don't find birds flying through as an excuse because there are no birds in 99% of the time.

Although knowing advantages, I'm not sure if I would use it at all in fact. Why? Because it should be really much better  than manual (if you know howto).
1 - battery use. Imagine IS and USM working constantly.
2 - quality of it. Will it work really fine with narrow DOF without constant hunting?
3 - neccessity. There are indeed rather rare cases, where it would help me and not disturb. In most cases maybe not bird but there is always something (person, dog, wall, etc.) what would make AF out.

I find high ISO more important and for this I'd pay. Why? Yo can close lens a bit, get wider DOF and don't care. If you wish great control of focus with lens open, then better do it with manual focus with viewfinder on a screen.
Presetting focus distances (like D.Sim) mentioned makes more sense for me as well.
Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:45:37 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Diko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »

Thanks for the update with that link.

However now I am devastated:

Always the best/strongest
Canon interviewed thousands of users and has used their suggestions.
100% viewfinder coverage
More realistic colours
150000 shutter actuation life rather than 100000 with the 5DMKII
Revised AF
-Uses the same 61 point AF module of the 1DX usable up to f5.6
-Canon has chosen to concentrate on image quality rather than image size (megapixels)
-With ISO becoming more important to photographers and videographers the ISO is now up to 25600 (with boost up to 100200)
-This new sensor captures images without moiré or aliasing
-The benchmark of the MKII is broken with the new Digic 5 processor.

* - AF is as in 1Dx - cool.
* - This new sensor captures images without moiré or aliasing - great!
* - More realistic colours - where on the viewfinder or where?
And if the word is for IQ - that has to be awaited in order to be compared.
if what Canon provides (on book - theoretically) I might go for Nikon D800 - if test shows what I expect to see. BETTER performance in very low scenes.

So far as from rumors point of view: EPIC Fail! :-( No game changer. Nothing.

Specs are as are not bad, but they already seem like Canon could have delivered them a while back and the price increase of $800 is insanity if these specs are to the T.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. The 5DIII is my DREAM camera. But until I turn this hobby into a profession I just cannot justify paying more than 2500ish for a new camera. I can buy sooo many other things for 3500 dollars(I'm almost at an M9 by then.)
The specs just seem like what I've been wanting in the 5DII for all this time, not like some revolutionary new features that blow my mind and make me consider spending amounts i've never considered spending on anything other than a car.
I don't see the reason why after 3.5 years the technology hasn't improved enough to make similar specs to these in a 2000-2800 dollar body.

Totally agree. Compared to old and enemy camp. And extra  $ cost. Unrealistic choice. :-( If Canon have released 5D and then 1Dx, situation would be differend due to human nature

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:45:25 PM by Diko »

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
More from the French article:

Add to that what they call a "true silent mode" in which burst mode goes down to 3fps.

3.2inches screen at 1,040,000 dots

The same AF module as the one in the 1Dx

They specify that the censor is a brand new one and as danharperphotography says above, they claim it captures images without moiré or aliasing

Auto ISO up to 25600

Digic5+ can burst out 16270 Large jpg at 6fps before it fills up (Is there a card that can actually contain that many?)

Dual slot cards CF and SD

They also mention an HDR Mode, Smart Auto, Image addition?, in camera editing and micro adjust per seial number but don't go into details about any of them.

Microphone and headphone jack, optical connection and continuous or progressive timecode?, ALL-I individual image encoding, wireless video release

nighstar

« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

+1

this camera is considered a prosumer/semi-pro camera, but its pricing puts it out of reach for a lot of prosumers/semi-pros. :/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
I can buy sooo many other things for 3500 dollars(I'm almost at an M9 by then.)

Just *another* $3500 short! (Since you're basing this on retail price.)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

The answer is corporate and investor demands  ;) The justification is weak dollar / R&D cost / Tsunami and the list goes on...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »