I'm in a bit different camp but here is where my opinions have taken me.
- When the 1DX was announced, I put in a preorder immediately.
- Later on, I realized I didn't really need the 1DX and I allocated most of the budget elsewhere. I picked up an 8-15 fisheye, microscope objective, and a Stackshot. I do not regret this decision.
- I still kept enough money put aside for a 5D3 at $3k. My feeling was I would buy one.
- Now that the 5D3 has been (not fully) announced, I am disappointed. I am disappointed both by the higher price and the specs. I find it very difficult to justify it.
- When I look at the 1DX, though, I find it a bit more justifiable. The 5D3 really just looks like a 5D2 with a bit better high ISO and the AF of the 7D. The 1DX adds the following.
1) even better high ISO
2) better metering - ability to meter on an AF point
3) improved AF
4) double the fps
5) weather sealing
6) more customization
7) better ergonomics
- I therefore find myself in a debate. If I do move to another camera, the 1DX is more the camera I would expect. It is a significant improvement on top of the 5D2. On the other hand, it is very expensive.
Unless the 5D3 has much better high ISO than I think it will, at this point I am unlikely to move to it. I am, however, more likely to move to a 1DX in the future. Of course, I still have to justify the 1DX compared to other things that I would buy, but strongly in favor of the 1DX this time around is the fact that I have already bought them.