November 27, 2014, 03:14:31 PM

Author Topic: Biggest Hardware Issue still not fixed?  (Read 3405 times)

DeepShadows

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Biggest Hardware Issue still not fixed?
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
By far the biggest hardware issue with Canon cameras for me that has not been fixed in the last ten years..... Poor grip build. The P-L-A-S-T-I-C gear wheel in their grips is the cause of so much grief for myself and the rest of the shooters in my circle. I personally have replaced 3 of them from BG-E2, BG-E2N, and BG-E6! It's a metal gear attached to the threads but a plastic one for the thumb wheel! Unbelievable and it makes the connection feel very flimsy at times, and the reason the grip loosens from the body from time to time. Added on to that is that it gets over tightened because it seems so loose! I finally decided to not use a grip on my current 5d2 because of this and the weakness, and I really miss the vertical shooting when I switch from my 1D3! The new grip for the D800 is finally magnesium to match the body and I suspect it is much sturdier! Anyone else hoping for the same from the new BG-E11????? I wouldn't mind paying the extra dough for it if it was actually solid! (hopefully not the same crazy hike that the D800 grip saw)
Anybody else have problems with the current lines of grips and their build quality?

p.s. it effects which RRS L-Plate I purchase as well, and they are expensive! worth it but expensive.

canon rumors FORUM

Biggest Hardware Issue still not fixed?
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Hardware Issue still not fixed?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
I've had several over the past 10 + years with no breakage problems.  I do not, however overtighten them.

That said, they are totally unsuitable for use on a tripod with anything other than a smallish normal lens.  I no longer use them, because of this.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
I lined the edges of my 5D II grip with electrical tape and this firmed up the connection, no problems in 3 years of shooting with it.

But of course, if you lay your hands on the built-in vertical grip of an EOS 1, or Nikon D_, you'll realize how much add-on grips suck.

Bennymiata

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
I had the same problem with the Canon grip on my 60D, so much so that one of the brass gears inside the grip broke within a few days of purchasing it.
So, I got a Zeikos grip, and after some months of usage, it is still performing really well and feels more solid than the Canon one.
Sometimes the aftermarket accessories work better, and for a lot less money, than the originals.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Oh, by the way...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »

Oh, by the way....

If I decide to buy the new 5D3, my 1V is for sale. The new 5D should be the equal (or better) of the VF and AF in the 1V.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Not sure if it's a hardware issue, but for me the biggest annoyance with my 7D is the DOF-preview button. Now I know they've moved it in the 1DX and 5D3 presumably too.
But even if it's a button, no matter where it is, and no matter how stable your tripod, it's still useless for really really small macro work, where you definitely need a dof-preview button, same with landscapes but there the smallest vibrations don't muck with your framing as much.

It doesn't have to be a dedicated switch, just a menu-option like MLU is currently is good enough for me. But it's stopping me from ever buying an MP-E 65, and until there is such a feature, i'm sticking with old/manual lenses for tabletop maro work...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
Not sure if it's a hardware issue, but for me the biggest annoyance with my 7D is the DOF-preview button. Now I know they've moved it in the 1DX and 5D3 presumably too.
But even if it's a button, no matter where it is, and no matter how stable your tripod, it's still useless for really really small macro work, where you definitely need a dof-preview button, same with landscapes but there the smallest vibrations don't muck with your framing as much.

It doesn't have to be a dedicated switch, just a menu-option like MLU is currently is good enough for me. But it's stopping me from ever buying an MP-E 65, and until there is such a feature, i'm sticking with old/manual lenses for tabletop maro work...

You might also consider using liveview.  Then, you can lock the DOF preview.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »
Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography link=topic=3773.msg80216#msg80216 date=1330658350
You might also consider using liveview.  Then, you can lock the DOF preview.
[/quote

I just tried this on my 40D and the DoF button worked but did not stay enagaged - is this correct?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »