October 02, 2014, 08:38:54 AM

Author Topic: Who thinks this is an ANTI-CLIMATIC product? As in, the 5DIII  (Read 15545 times)

BornNearDaBayou

I already have 5dII. I wanted more MP (more than D3X at 24MP), much better ISO performance, and better AF.

Why did Canon play this so foolishly? I am invested in Canon somewhat, and don't care about this new announcement. What a monumental letdown. I don't know how any current 5d owner could get very excited about this "ground-breaking" new DSLR.

I would rather have the 1dX. Even at over $3k more, you will have similar IQ at low ISO. I can't believe the resolution went up by 1 measly MEGAPIXEL!!!!!

I hope I am wrong. This is like the ending to Saving Private Ryan. An old man crying is all I see.....

canon rumors FORUM

RedEye

Re: Who thinks this is an ANTI-CLIMATIC product? As in, the 5DIII
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
Yeah... welll, back to bed. 

Actionpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:31:46 AM »
These are specs I wanted to see for the 5D II. (fps, not the MP) I am a crop camera user and keep on wondering why the pixelsize of the 5D II (And 5D III) only equals that of the very old 20D. Only when I can get real close, so no soccer pics, no airshow pics, no wildlife pics, I can get more pixels on my subject. (Than with the 20D) For air to air photography, where I can come closer, I would like the shallower DoF but wonder why I still have only about the pixelssize of the 20D and not that of the newer crop cameras resulting in more detail. (I do not care for high ISO settings as for action photography I need long exposure time and because of DoF I also want to shoot wide open.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:43:55 AM by Actionpix »

Apple Tree Studios

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:47 AM »
I think this is a great upgrade. I shoot weddings and 15 mega pixels is enough so I am not worried about the pixels. I am excited about the better AF. If I get better AF and one stop of light I am happy. Just as excited about the new flash. Looks great.

tooslick2k

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:47 AM »
I think this is a superb upgrade from the mk2. Anti-climatic? Not at all. Maybe your better suited for the D800. either way dont knock it solely based on MP. It has a lot of awesome features!

D_Rochat

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:26 AM »
Just because Canon didn't build the camera you want doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. By all means, go with Nikon. I'm not being rude, it's just that they may be a better fit for your needs. I'm very excited about this one.

Kliphten

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »
This seems like a great camera but I'm disappointed in the price.  Technology is expected to improve over the years so saying that it has better tech specs doesn't really make sense.  I know the dollar has weakened as well but this price is ridiculous.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »

SPG

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:36 AM »
I'm waiting to see what this camera actually DOES, and not just what the specs are.
When Canon launched the C300 there were a ton of RED fanboys screaming that it didn't have 4k resolution, or that it didn't shoot R3DRAW or whatever other spec they read. What they all overlooked is that the camera itself recorded an amazing image, was rock solid dependable, and had a smooth workflow for production. People who should have known better were declaring the RED Scarlet the winner, and that the C300 was DOA. Well.....now we can see that the C300 is actually an incredible camera, especially for documentary and TV production. Point is, don't just judge any camera purely on the specs. Let's see what the 5DIII does.

randplaty

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »
Who cares about megapixels... only uncle bobs.  I'm glad the price is a bit above what it was before.  I see too many people who don't know anything about photography with mkIIs.  Now hopefully less of them will buy the mkIII.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
Are you kidding ?
It sure looks like a great camera that was improved in many significant ways. Often I have file size dialed down for professional assignments, so 22 mp is fine by me.
I have two on order and can't wait to get them.
I will say I'm not thrilled by the price of the new 24-70, and we all know the price of the new 5D grip will be outrageous.
I wonder if the current grip will fit the new body ?

Kliphten

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
Who cares about megapixels... only uncle bobs.  I'm glad the price is a bit above what it was before.  I see too many people who don't know anything about photography with mkIIs.  Now hopefully less of them will buy the mkIII.

Why do you care so much about what other people purchase?  You will always have people doing things they don't know much about, but I feel it's pointless to fret over it.  Maybe help those people with Mark IIs understand more about it so that they do know more about photography instead of thinking they don't deserve it even when they are spending their own money on it.

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
Why did Canon play this so foolishly?

Canon isn't here to build you your own personal perfect camera.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:13 AM »

Why does it matter that people who don't know how to use it have it?

According to you, you'd rather only really good photographers with high amounts of disposable income have this camera than really good photographers with high disposable income along with really good photographers without too much money and n00bs.

Its not like other people having it makes your pictures any less good.

I'm not complaining about the price necessarily.  Maybe it is worth what its being priced for - although it seems a little steep for a progression of a model.  I just don't buy the argument that you're glad its expensive, so it will be a little more exclusive.

p.s. - there are still plenty of rich people out there who don't know squat about photography who will still buy this thing.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:13 AM »

BDD

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
On paper the 5D3 looks perfect for me spec wise...BUT...it just dawned on me it has no AF-Illumination on front (as the Nikon D800 does...D3s/D4 does not incidentally...nor does the 1D-X). WHY?? Is that not vital for low light shooting?? To utilize the 100-25,600 native ISO of the 5D3?? Or is there something about the design of the 5D3, 1D-X, and the Nikon D3s/D4 that allow them to getaway with out having AF-Illum?

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
On paper the 5D3 looks perfect for me spec wise...BUT...it just dawned on me it has no AF-Illumination on front (as the Nikon D800 does...D3s/D4 does not incidentally...nor does the 1D-X). WHY?? Is that not vital for low light shooting?? To utilize the 100-25,600 native ISO of the 5D3?? Or is there something about the design of the 5D3, 1D-X, and the Nikon D3s/D4 that allow them to getaway with out having AF-Illum?

I dont think that using a speed light for AF assist is a deal breaker

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »