September 02, 2014, 05:58:42 AM

Author Topic: Who thinks this is an ANTI-CLIMATIC product? As in, the 5DIII  (Read 15439 times)

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Who thinks this is an ANTI-CLIMATIC product? As in, the 5DIII
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »
I already have 5dII. I wanted more MP (more than D3X at 24MP), much better ISO performance, and better AF.

Why did Canon play this so foolishly? I am invested in Canon somewhat, and don't care about this new announcement. What a monumental letdown. I don't know how any current 5d owner could get very excited about this "ground-breaking" new DSLR.

I would rather have the 1dX. Even at over $3k more, you will have similar IQ at low ISO. I can't believe the resolution went up by 1 measly MEGAPIXEL!!!!!

I hope I am wrong. This is like the ending to Saving Private Ryan. An old man crying is all I see.....

I'm sorry, but I have to smite you, my friend. If I could smite you ten times in a row, I'd do that, too. You don't seem to get that for the last several years, the ENTIRE time we've all been waiting for this camera, we all heard nothing but "LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!!". Here we are, on the day the long-awaited 5D III is released, and everyone is BITCHING about the fact that we  "only" got a "measly" single extra megapixel. Well DAMN, PPL?!? If you wanted uberpixels, why did you demand less mp and ask for better ISO?!?!

Simply put, the 5D III is a FANTASTIC camera from a specs standpoint. Canon listend to ALL of their users complaints, and fixed just about all of them, from what I can tell! Like the 1D X, it STOPPED focuing on megapixels, megapixels, megapixels, and STARTED focusing on WHAT PEOPLE FRIGGIN ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!! We just got a whopping TWO STOPS of NATIVE ISO improvement!!! The Nikon D4 didn't change native ISO one tiny bit, and neither did the D800!!

But DAMN, the D800 has uberpixels!!

We just got an unbelievable, entirely unexpected 61 point AF system with 41 cross-type sensors!!! And to go along with that, we got a nice boost from 3.9fps to 6fps, 18 continuous frames, and dual memory card slots (and don't you DARE complain about the fact that they are not both CF or both SD...YOU HAVE TWO FRIGGIN MEMORY CARD SLOTS, and are probably sitting pretty on 50,000 unused SD cards that you couldn't use any more once you went to the 5D II!)

But DAMN, the D800 has uberpixels!!

"WHAAAA! So screw Canon, they are a bunch of b*tards for listening to their CUSTOMERS. PFFAH! Nikon HERE I COME!!" - anonymous, ubiquitous complainer

GROW THE FRACK UP PPL!!

YOU...GOT...WHAT YOU ASKED FOR!!

-.-

MEH.  :o

</rant>

And what you asked for...IS AWESOME! Can't wait to get mine. :D

+1
ftw
~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
+1
ftw

Heh, sorry. Reading that again, it came off as a bigger rant than it sounded like when I wrote it. I'd been listening for hours to more people bitch about the 5D III than praise it, and it was really getting annoying at the time. And I found it so unbelievably ironic that Canon users got EXACTLY what they asked for, and it still wasn't enough. Couldn't be a better demonstration of the sad, sad, selfish nature of humankind than that!  :P
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Neeneko

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but I have to smite you, my friend. If I could smite you ten times in a row, I'd do that, too. You don't seem to get that for the last several years, the ENTIRE time we've all been waiting for this camera, we all heard nothing but "LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!!".

You do realize there is more then one person on the internet, no?
Sounds like you were listening to the people who agreed with what you wanted and took that for the whole community.  Believe it or not, but Canon has multiple types of customers who have been asking for a variety of things, some of them wanting 'better ISO, less MP', others wanting 'more MP' and *gasp* these are not the same people!

Simply put, the 5D III is a FANTASTIC camera from a specs standpoint. Canon listend to ALL of their users complaints, and fixed just about all of them, from what I can tell! Like the 1D X, it STOPPED focuing on megapixels, megapixels, megapixels, and STARTED focusing on WHAT PEOPLE FRIGGIN ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!! We just got a whopping TWO STOPS of NATIVE ISO improvement!!! The Nikon D4 didn't change native ISO one tiny bit, and neither did the D800!!

No.  They listened to some submarkets and ignored others.  Right now the people who were paid attention to are riding high and many, like yourself, seem to delight in bashing those who are not thrilled.  Congratz, you are on top, I am sure your epeen is very large.

We just got an unbelievable, entirely unexpected 61 point AF system with 41 cross-type sensors!!! And to go along with that, we got a nice boost from 3.9fps to 6fps, 18 continuous frames, and dual memory card slots (and don't you DARE complain about the fact that they are not both CF or both SD...YOU HAVE TWO FRIGGIN MEMORY CARD SLOTS, and are probably sitting pretty on 50,000 unused SD cards that you couldn't use any more once you went to the 5D II!)

Which only really matters if one cares about autofocus (I rarely use it personally), high drive speeds (I usually go a minute or more between shots) and SD support (I don't own a single SD card, and having to keep two formats around is doable, but a little obnoxious).

So I will not call it a bad camera, I think it will be an excellent body for the submarkets it is targeted towards, but it is not everything to everyone, and there are people who have been wanting a MP monster, saying they want an MP monster, and still want one and are kinda miffed that not only do they seem to have been ignored by Canon (I suspect such a camera is in the pipes though) but people like you are retconning things to make it sound like we were asking for what you wanted all along, which negates our existence.. and oddly enough people get kinda pissed at rhetoric like that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:39:24 PM by Neeneko »

rj79in

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
+1
ftw

Heh, sorry. Reading that again, it came off as a bigger rant than it sounded like when I wrote it. I'd been listening for hours to more people bitch about the 5D III than praise it, and it was really getting annoying at the time. And I found it so unbelievably ironic that Canon users got EXACTLY what they asked for, and it still wasn't enough. Couldn't be a better demonstration of the sad, sad, selfish nature of humankind than that!  :P

Agree ... people are too obsessed with mega pixels since the D800 was announced. The gripes sound as if NO camera was good enough in the past, let alone the 5DMII with a measly 21MP which stopped taking excellent pics ONLY in the past two months.

Lessons in human psychology ... nothing, ever, is quite good enough!

D_Rochat

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
Lessons in human psychology ... nothing, ever, is quite good enough!

Truth

sjprg

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
For those of you whom don't beleive the camera manufacturers are ripping us off. Here is a price list for a 16 bit 80MSPS ADC. Talk about milking the technology.

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/ad-converters/ist/191/pst.html

Orion

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
I'm convinced Canon are going to get a shock when customer demand isn't any where close to what they expect, and that the price will fall quite dramatically within 6 months of launch. . . .

If anywhere near true, then why release it at wedding season only to pry our pockets open since we are loyal consumers, only to give the break to those that buy it later on, and maybe not as loyal, etc etc etc.  . . . ?

AF is a MAJOR . . .MAJOR improvment over mkII . . . and a reported 2 stop difference in ISO performance. . . . . . . . with better video . . . . 3500 is a jab we can probably accept, but if the Nikon D800 is as close to the 5D as it gets (vice versa), then why not start the price out at the same as the Nikon???

They probably think that the ld "videographers" of the older mkII will stick around and not notice this little mishap. . . . or care?

P.S.

Yes. . . I am ordering the 5DmkIII. . . .and will upgrade to 1DxmkII when IT comes out, in 5+years.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:39:39 PM by Orion »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
I am not a pro photographer - hence this new camera is out of my reach.

I can say - purely from a business instinct perspective - that this new camera will probably be purchased and used by pro's who can make a living from it.

All of us amateurs will probably pass on a $3,500 body, especially in the current economic climate.

If I choose FF - I'd go for the mark 2.
Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

XanuFoto

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
I believe this new sub segment emerged suddenly after the release of the 36 mp monster by Nikon. Until then I had not seen many people clamouring for a huge mp camera. Maybe one day canon will satisfy that segment. But for years now world renouned landscape photographers like Joshua holko, Alain broit and David noton have done well with 21 mp or less. I am sure they will not mind the extra mp, but how many people make money out of landscape anyway. And portrait and fashion has been served well between 21-24 so far.

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
I believe this new sub segment emerged suddenly after the release of the 36 mp monster by Nikon. Until then I had not seen many people clamouring for a huge mp camera. Maybe one day canon will satisfy that segment. But for years now world renouned landscape photographers like Joshua holko, Alain broit and David noton have done well with 21 mp or less. I am sure they will not mind the extra mp, but how many people make money out of landscape anyway. And portrait and fashion has been served well between 21-24 so far.

I agree, The D800 is a new segment in dslrs... I'd call it "medium format wannabe"

I don't mean that nastily... I'd love to have a $50k medium format camera and $20k lenses but that ain't gonna happen. A dslr that leans in the medium format direction but with the smaller cheaper sensor that can use lenses from big selling dslr segment (therefore helping keeping the lens price down too) is good news as far as a wannabe medium format user like me is concerned. Obviously not a segment for everybody but definitely an interesting one, pushing in that direction will also help develop tech for more "normal" dslrs in future too.

tt

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »

I agree, The D800 is a new segment in dslrs... I'd call it "medium format wannabe"

I don't mean that nastily... I'd love to have a $50k medium format camera and $20k lenses but that ain't gonna happen. A dslr that leans in the medium format direction but with the smaller cheaper sensor that can use lenses from big selling dslr segment (therefore helping keeping the lens price down too) is good news as far as a wannabe medium format user like me is concerned. Obviously not a segment for everybody but definitely an interesting one, pushing in that direction will also help develop tech for more "normal" dslrs in future too.

It's going to be an interesting battle for the 5d MkIV and the D900 - Whilst the prices of a MF sensor is in the 10,000 $/£ range now - i'd wager that should possible half. So for a 1DX price, you could get a MF. For brighter conditions, it'll be an interest factor into the next round of models eg will sports keep with FF, landscape go MF, videographers go videographer specific dSLR? Till then - As Harry Hill would say - there's only one way to find out about 5DMkIII and D800.

Neeneko

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »

Yeah. and before that people were 'happy' with 12MP.  In fact when I first got into digital photography the big meme was that 12MP was '35mm film equivalent' meaning it was all you needed to do just as well as people had been doing for decades.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
I'm sorry, but I have to smite you, my friend. If I could smite you ten times in a row, I'd do that, too. You don't seem to get that for the last several years, the ENTIRE time we've all been waiting for this camera, we all heard nothing but "LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!! LESS MP, BETTER ISO!!".

You do realize there is more then one person on the internet, no?
Sounds like you were listening to the people who agreed with what you wanted and took that for the whole community.  Believe it or not, but Canon has multiple types of customers who have been asking for a variety of things, some of them wanting 'better ISO, less MP', others wanting 'more MP' and *gasp* these are not the same people!

Your assuming I fully agreed with the "Less MP, Better ISO" crowd (which, BTW, IS what MOST professionals were begging for...obviously there are outliers.) I personally was hoping for about 28mp, a stop or two better DR, and better AF (although I never dreamed of 61pt AF!) I personally wanted more MP, and the same level of ISO would have been fine as I'd mostly use a full-frame camera for landscape photography. I was hoping for a modest boost to mp that wouldn't make better DR impossible, not a revolutionary boost to 35mp or more that could have left me with the same DR and noise limitations. However despite not getting what I wanted, I'm PERFECTLY HAPPY with what Canon's given us. It was not a reduction of MP (which was certainly a plausible outcome, given the 1D X), and it appears to have been improved in ways I never imagined.

No.  They listened to some submarkets and ignored others.  Right now the people who were paid attention to are riding high and many, like yourself, seem to delight in bashing those who are not thrilled.  Congratz, you are on top, I am sure your epeen is very large.

Canon so far (remember, its likely we'll see more cameras from them by the end of the year) HAS LISTENED to their customers. Whenever I'd meet a gathering of Canon users, online or in real life, the most vocal groups were those who wanted better ISO (and more than a few were plenty happy to see that improvement accompanied by what they believed would be a necessary REDUCTION on megapixels.) There is an intriguing tendency about the people who are largely satisfied with what they have: they aren't overpoweringly vocal! When it comes to resolution, Canon users in general have seemed pretty satisfied with 21.1mp on the 5D II and 1Ds III. It was the highest resolution sensor for a long time, and only relegated to second highest relatively recently...so they complained about what wasn't good: ISO.

The only reason the most vocal complaining is about megapixels now is because of the release of the D800. Canon users are NOW GETTING VOCAL because Nikon released a fairly revolutionary (from a megapixels standpoint) high resolution full frame sensor at 36.3mp. It wasn't just 28mp, or 30mp, at 36.3mp it was a whole 15.2 megapixels higher resolution than the 5D II...a 72% increase. People want what they don't have, and suddenly, now they don't have 36.3mp in any currently announced Canon products. Ironically, thats about the only thing that really improved on the Nikon front from a stills photography standpoint (obviously there were improvements to video, however no one seems to be complaining about...or praising...that much at the moment for the 5D III). Nikon made a lot of noise about an extra stop or two ISO, but that was only expanded settings...the native ISO on Nikon cameras remained the same as the preceding models. The Nikon AF system remained the same. The frame rates remained about the same (or increased by 1fps in some cases). Metering systems did not change, etc.

Now contrast all that with the 5D III. The megapixels were improved by a small amount, but on top of that, it was given the RADICALLY improved top of the line AF module of the 1D X, a two full stop improvement in native ISO (to 25,600) making it the most sensitive DSLR camera on the market outside of the 1D X, significant improvements in noise at all levels of ISO despite the small increase in resolution,
what appears to be a fairly significant improvement in DR (yet to be proven by the likes of DXO and DPR, but apparent by manipulating the sample JPEG's floating around the net are very impressive indeed), the improved metering system of the 7D, the greatly improved 100% coverage transmissive LCD VF of the 7D and 1D X (which is fantastic, btw!!), a 54% increase in frame rate from 3.9 to 6, an extra CF slot that the 5D II did not have, and a host of other improvements over its predecessor (such as in-camera HDR and multi-exposure, in-camera photo editing, etc.)

From the standpoint of improvements over their predecessors, there is no question Canon has packed a HELL of a LOT into the 5D III, as well as the 1D X for that matter. The degree of improvement is stunning, and on all fronts, not just in the area of megapixels (which, from a factual standpoint, did still IMPROVE.) The improvements in Nikon's new cameras are marginal at best on the stills front (their improvements on the video front are still quite impressive), with the only significant point outstanding being the megapixel count of the D800...and the primary reason we have the NEW vocal group of Cannonites...the ones trying to scratch an itch they can't yet reach, and likely to be the next thing Canon addresses for their customers.

Which only really matters if one cares about autofocus (I rarely use it personally), high drive speeds (I usually go a minute or more between shots) and SD support (I don't own a single SD card, and having to keep two formats around is doable, but a little obnoxious).

Granted, having to use two types of memory cards is rather obnoxious, and there could be better improvement on that front. I'm sure there will be. The simple point I was trying to make is...you DID GET IMPROVEMENT. Based on some of the videos from Canon (I believe on the EU site), customers asked for both types most often, for whatever reasons, so Canon answered their customers by putting in both types of slots. Just another example of human nature...bitch and complain when you get something new that isn't 100% exactly what you personally wanted. I would prefer two CF cards, but I have a ton of SD cards from when I used my 450D that I can now use again...rather than have them waste away on a shelf serving zero purpose whatsoever (which I believe is very probably the majority case.)

So I will not call it a bad camera, I think it will be an excellent body for the submarkets it is targeted towards, but it is not everything to everyone, and there are people who have been wanting a MP monster, saying they want an MP monster, and still want one and are kinda miffed that not only do they seem to have been ignored by Canon (I suspect such a camera is in the pipes though) but people like you are retconning things to make it sound like we were asking for what you wanted all along, which negates our existence.. and oddly enough people get kinda pissed at rhetoric like that.

I think saying they have not been answered is a bit premature. There are still rumors out there about a 40mp+ high resolution D800 competitor due later this year from Canon. It may be an HDSLR, more part of the cinema line than the stills line, but then again, it could just as likely be Canon's response to the D800. Once plans are in motion and prototypes hit the field, manufacturers don't generally make radical changes in direction. I'd imagine the 5D III has been in production since shortly after the 5D II was released, and has probably had prototypes out in the field for nearly a year. I'm sure Canon knew about the D800 36.3mp monster long before any of the public, but you still can't spin up a whole new product to compete that fast (it seems to take canon 3-4 years to produce a new version of existing cameras, let alone develop something entirely new like a 40mp sensor stills camera that is still deserving of the "professional grade" title.)

As for retconning....well, your assuming what I want personally is the same as what most vocal Canon users have wanted (which is not the case, as I mentioned above.) I don't think I'm rewriting history at all. Canon users (not just a submarket, the larger market in general, but particularly professionals...who live and die by their gear and the quality of their work) have been very vocal about wanting better ISO performance, and they became only more vocal after Sony Exmor started blowing Canon (and pretty much any other) sensors out of the water from a read noise standpoint. There were legitimate reasons to be vocal about it as well...Canon sensors had improved, but usually at some cost (the 5D II sensor has very high low-ISO read noise at 27 e- which could sometimes produce fixed-pattern noise even in the low midtones (making it visible even without exposure adjustment), and the 7D, while it has lower read noise, is still considerably noisier than the competition at high ISO.) Canon did have an MP monster, all things being equal, at 21.1mp. The next highest resolution sensors at the time were about 10-12mp, so a 21.1mp camera was truly a revolutionary MP monster (being some 72% larger than the next highest MP DSLR sensor at the time...which is more than the 51% improvement the D800 has over Sony 24mp sensors.) Canon users, for a long time, did not need to complain...they already had the best, and claiming they have been begging for a new record-setting MP monster as vocally as they were asking for better ISO performance is a bit misleading itself. I  don't deny that there are different groups of people asking for different things from Canon, such as myself, who would greatly prefer improved DR over anything else in a FF camera...but I know I'm a minority. That's nothing to mention the fact that most people who have done any printing themselves know that 21.1mp (let alone 36.3mp) is more than enough to blow photos up many times larger to multi-foot wall-spanning dimensions, without any marked loss in quality at proper viewing distances. The real power of higher MP these days comes from cropping (unless you literally want a perfect 300ppi print at 15x20 feet that can be viewed without any loss of detail from 4 feet away), however when cropping you simultaneously lose the ability to scale down and absorb noise that way as well...so uberpixels have their limitations regardless.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
For those of you whom don't beleive the camera manufacturers are ripping us off. Here is a price list for a 16 bit 80MSPS ADC. Talk about milking the technology.

http://www.analog.com/en/analog-to-digital-converters/ad-converters/ist/191/pst.html

Well, if we use $50 as a base, and assume Canon has one ADC per read channel from the sensor (which I think would be essential to achieve 12fps@18mp)...that would be 16 ADC's at $50 each for a total of $800 (for 1D X), or 8 @ $50 for a total of $400 (for the 5D III). Thats assuming the ADC's are independent components. In the past, I believe they have been an integrated part of their DIGIC processors, and its entirely possible Canon has partly taken the approach Sony did, and are now embedding the ADC right on the sensor itself. Integrating the ADC component with any other component, and doing so while keeping electronic noise low, while still supporting the very high readout rates for 10-12 fps...is expensive.

I don't think camera manufacturers are ripping us off with their ADC's.
My Photography

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »

Well, if we use $50 as a base, and assume Canon has one ADC per read channel from the sensor (which I think would be essential to achieve 12fps@18mp)...that would be 16 ADC's at $50 each for a total of $800 (for 1D X), or 8 @ $50 for a total of $400 (for the 5D III). Thats assuming the ADC's are independent components. In the past, I believe they have been an integrated part of their DIGIC processors, and its entirely possible Canon has partly taken the approach Sony did, and are now embedding the ADC right on the sensor itself. Integrating the ADC component with any other component, and doing so while keeping electronic noise low, while still supporting the very high readout rates for 10-12 fps...is expensive.

I don't think camera manufacturers are ripping us off with their ADC's.

You missed the part where the price is $50.... for each PACK of 1000    ;D
(i.e. 5 cents each)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »