June 19, 2018, 12:47:17 PM

Author Topic: Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III  (Read 49699 times)

fotoray

• EOS M5
  • 5D Mark III
Re: Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
Pre-ordered my 5D3/24-105 today from Amazon.  From what I've read they should be shipping by the end of March. 

I bought the 7D when it first came out and like it a lot, especially the AF, 8fps, and friendly controls.  However, I had the opportunity to use a 5D2 and have wanted a FF ever since.  The 5D3 upgrades the AF (nearly same as 1DX) and has controls layout almost the same as 7D.   I like the new location of the DOF preview button - makes much more sense.   Looking forward to using new multiple exposure capabilities - about time Canon.  And HDR seems to allow in-camera processing and/or save for later in Photomatix or PS. 

I'm jazzed!!!
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF 100-400 Mk II | EF 35 f1.4L II | EF-S 60 f2.8 macro | EF 100 f2.8L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »

jdavis37

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • EOS 5D MkIII + 500F4 II + 1.4X TC MkIII
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »
Why still no AF point linked spot metering :'( :'( :'(

This is part of the Canon heritage. years ago when other manufacturers were putting ISO in the viewfinder, Canon resisted and kept that feature locked to the 1 series. Now the people who bought the 1 series were glad to ahve their investment protected ( how do you think the Nikon D3 people felt when the D700 + grip came out? is why there was never a D700S camera).

That said, I find the lack of a spot meter to track with the selected Af indicator to be the single biggest irritation my 7D brings me. And find it lame that a $3500 camera cannot do that given 41199 nikons can. Just a rant.. not dissing Canon as I have had Canon since 1980. But at this price point I think this is  a feature they should have afforded the 5D to have.

The 5D3 looks like a FF 7DMkII though it would not surprise me for Canon to leave the 19 pt Af in the 7DMKII in order to protect the 5d3 buyers. Canon has a history of protecting the upper cameras by not sharing features. trouble is other manufacturers are more willing to share. 5d is 4500 more than D800 and appears to be less weather sealed, features like the spot meter, the D800 offers the full nikon best Af module, etc. Perhaps the 5d will have some advantages such as it accepts Canon lens mounts. But it does make one wonder how long can Canon do what theya re doing( in recent days their lenses are considerably more expensive than Nikon's.. $11K for a 400 f2.8 Canon 8.9K for Nikon's ) and now their camera bodies cost more. I guess as long as sales stay up.. like gas prices!

JoeDavid

• EOS M5
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
1D X AF sensor layout = +1
No spot AF listed in any of the specs = -1
In camera HDR function = +1 (if it works)
In camera HDR outputs a JPEG only = -1
Two card slots = +1
One of them is an SD, not two CF = -1 (for me at least)
Better metering than the 5DM2 = +1
Vastly inferior metering than the 1D X = -1
Canon's sample images look better than the 5DM2 = +1
Canon's sample images from the 1D X look sharper in the "in focus" areas = -1 (stronger AA filter perhaps for video?)
6FPS = +1 (compared to 5DM2)
Crazy high price = -1

So far I'm adding it up to be a zero.  The funny thing to me is that, if you read through the CPN information on the Canon-Europe site, they reference features "first introduced in the 1D X".  Wouldn't the 1D X have to actually be available before the 5DM3 to make that statement!  Late March versus late April; hummm...

Martin

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »
AF point-linked spot metering not provided......no comment!
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

MazV-L

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
In camera HDR function = +1 (if it works)
In camera HDR outputs a JPEG only = -1
Two card slots = +1
One of them is an SD, not two CF = -1 (for me at least)
Better metering than the 5DM2 = +1
Vastly inferior metering than the 1D X = -1
Canon's sample images look better than the 5DM2 = +1
Canon's sample images from the 1D X look sharper in the "in focus" areas = -1 (stronger AA filter perhaps for video?)
6FPS = +1 (compared to 5DM2)
Crazy high price = -1

So far I'm adding it up to be a zero.  The funny thing to me is that, if you read through the CPN information on the Canon-Europe site, they reference features "first introduced in the 1D X".  Wouldn't the 1D X have to actually be available before the 5DM3 to make that statement!  Late March versus late April; hummm...
No spot AF, really :o

JoeDavid

• EOS M5
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »

I didn't find it mentioned anywhere in the specs or in the technical info at Canon Europe:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do

Unless I missed it.  I'd love to be proven wrong...

MazV-L

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

I didn't find it mentioned anywhere in the specs or in the technical info at Canon Europe:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do

Unless I missed it.  I'd love to be proven wrong...
Actually it does have spot AF and metering, Phew! (check out Necator's link on page 6)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

JoeDavid

• EOS M5
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
Actually it does have spot AF and metering, Phew! (check out Necator's link on page 6)
[/quote]

Thanks I missed it.  I guess that's +1.  It's really +2 becuase I left out the improved bracketing capability in the original post. 

nschwarz

Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
We shall have to see what the picture quality is compared to the Nikon D800.
So far we are being asked to pay more for less MP, No built in flash and no autofocus during video mode.
The D800 is looking like a tough competitor. Shame that Canon is charging a premium.

jdavis37

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »

Thanks I missed it.  I guess that's +1.  It's really +2 becuase I left out the improved bracketing capability in the original post.
[/quote]

This isn't what some of us have been expressing our disappointment about. Yes the 5D3 has spot metering. yes it has Spot AF. Identical to the 7D.

it does NOT however have spot metering tied to the AF sensor: Per the link provided by Necator on Page 6):

·AF point-linked spot metering not provided.

This probably won't be an issue for many people, but for those who use spot metering often it creates issues. The spot meter in the 5D is linked to the center Af sensor only.

Thus if you move to a different sensor while shooting in spot metering mode, your exposure can do all kinds of whacky things ranging from complete overexposure or underexposure. This omission is magnified by fact very inexpensive bodies made by other manufacturers provide AF point linked spot metering.

Not to rant or jump off a cliff or anything but this is a lame decision on Canon's part IMHO. The body is $3500. It is not entry level. But Canon has always worked hard to protect its 1 series and this may well be another example

On other hand the 1D-X:

AF point-linked spot metering (Custom Function)
     -Linkable to all AF points.

This sounds like a firmware crippling of the feature on the 5D3 unless it is tied to the metering hardware (which it could because it sounds like the 5D3 is using the 7D metering system).

Am really not bashing the 5D3.. am sure it will be a very good camera. I just cannot figure out Canon's marketing at times but am sure they know what they are doing.

This is from the Nikon D7000 specifications:

Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5 % of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)

An $1199 body and it has this feature.

Fleetie

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • My Facebook
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
We shall have to see what the picture quality is compared to the Nikon D800.
So far we are being asked to pay more for less MP, No built in flash and no autofocus during video mode.
The D800 is looking like a tough competitor. Shame that Canon is charging a premium.
I am pleased with today's announcement.

22MP are enough for me at the moment.

I have never used the flash on my 7D in nearly 2 years of ownership.

I am an "available light" person.

I have never shot a single second of video on my 7D, not even to experiment with the "feature".

I am satisfied, having viewed the out-of-camera high-ISO JPGs, that as I hoped, the 5D3 delivers a fairly solid THREE STOPS better high-ISO noise performance than my 7D, when the 5D3 is outputting direct to JPG. The ISO6400 pictures are about as noisy as my 7D is at ISO800. Which suits me very well indeed. I am happy.

I think the £3000 price is not unreasonable. I conditioned myself to expect £2700-£3000 months ago now, so I was already prepared for it.

I will be buying one as soon as I can walk into a shop and buy one. I don't think I'll go as far as to pre-order one, but as soon as it's in the shops, and I can get one that is new in its box, then I shall buy it.

I shall not buy a display model that impecunious tyre-kicking Herberts have been greasily dabbing just for kicks because they "wanted a go on it". If I'm laying £3k on a shop for one, I am entitled to know that I am buying a fresh, new one in an un-opened box.

It's a done deal, as long as I don't lose my job, die, or go blind.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:52:41 PM by Fleetie »
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8  ,  EF 2x III
Canon EOS M5  ,  EF-M 18-150  ,  Samyang EF-M 50mm T/1.3
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.

MazV-L

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »

This isn't what some of us have been expressing our disappointment about. Yes the 5D3 has spot metering. yes it has Spot AF. Identical to the 7D.

it does NOT however have spot metering tied to the AF sensor: Per the link provided by Necator on Page 6):

·AF point-linked spot metering not provided.

This probably won't be an issue for many people, but for those who use spot metering often it creates issues. The spot meter in the 5D is linked to the center Af sensor only.

Thus if you move to a different sensor while shooting in spot metering mode, your exposure can do all kinds of whacky things ranging from complete overexposure or underexposure. This omission is magnified by fact very inexpensive bodies made by other manufacturers provide AF point linked spot metering.

Not to rant or jump off a cliff or anything but this is a lame decision on Canon's part IMHO. The body is $3500. It is not entry level. But Canon has always worked hard to protect its 1 series and this may well be another example

On other hand the 1D-X:

AF point-linked spot metering (Custom Function)
     -Linkable to all AF points.

This sounds like a firmware crippling of the feature on the 5D3 unless it is tied to the metering hardware (which it could because it sounds like the 5D3 is using the 7D metering system).

Am really not bashing the 5D3.. am sure it will be a very good camera. I just cannot figure out Canon's marketing at times but am sure they know what they are doing.

Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5 % of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)

[/quote]

Using AEB in combination with non-centre spot-focusing would help in most scenarios though wouldn't it? I usually use centre-spot focus and recompose anyway, although this doesn't work so well for wide apertures.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:49:33 PM by MazV-L »

jdavis37

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

[/quote]

Using AEB in combination with non-centre spot-focusing would help in most scenarios though wouldn't it? I usually use centre-spot focus and recompose anyway, although this doesn't work so well for wide apertures.
[/quote]

I mostly shoot birds which move rapidly even over very short distances at times. If I am using Spot meter but need to use a different AF spot to get focus on eyes/head very often the center square will go over something of totally different color resulting in bad exposures. No easy to way to get around it other than post. Just seems  a feature that should be in a $3500 body. Priced like a BMW 3 series but handles like a Jetta :) ok that was extreme but hopefully you get my gripe :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

simonxu11

• EOS M5
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »

Even Nikon D3100 has this feature, that's a $600 body

RileyJoseph

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
Very happy after several years of waiting but why did they not put in a rotating back display??????
Thankfully they didn't.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »