September 22, 2014, 04:20:14 PM

Author Topic: New Canon Speedlites and ST-E3!  (Read 50709 times)

patz

Re: New Canon Speedlites and ST-E3!
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »
some sites say Speedlite 600EX-RT has infrared wireless function too. So, can I use it with my 600D?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »
I did a quick range test and they fired just fine up to about 300-400' for me...I don't know if they work well beyond that as I ran out of room to go further. I've been using them in much shorter distances like 100-150' regularly and they've been 100% reliable there. Like any 2.4ghz trigger (canon 600ex rt included), you should get good consistent results for a couple hundred feet, but they can still be susceptible to wifi interference. I haven't had that problem yet since I'm out in the woods, but I know it's a potential problem. The 600exrt has a nice feature where you can compare signal strengths to choose a good one. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback. That's some very impressive range, and more than adequate for my needs. The Canon setup is nice, and I particularly like how you can use the STE3 and 600EX to remotely trigger the shutter, but I'm not sure I can justify the price premium over the Odins. I can pick up a 550EX, which has nearly as much power as a 600EX, for $200, throw on a $140 Odin receiver, and add an extra off-camera flash while retaining ETTL capability for $340. That's half the price one one 600EX.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
some sites say Speedlite 600EX-RT has infrared wireless function too. So, can I use it with my 600D?
I would certainly hope so, also so you can mix it up with existing collections of 580 s

I'm looking forward to comparing this flash against the 580 II with on camera flash and 70-200
to see how good the 200 zoom is relative to the 105
APS-H Fanboy

SPG

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
I would certainly hope so, also so you can mix it up with existing collections of 580 s

I was under the impression that it could do either radio or IR, but not both at the same time.

briansquibb

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 03:07:26 AM »

I was under the impression that it could do either radio or IR, but not both at the same time.

It would be interesting to see what could be achieved to drive 580's through PW/Odins whilst at the same time drive the 600s through radio

patz

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »

It's ok not to do both at the same time. I don't have any flash yet. I just want to buy one for my 600D and hope I'll be able to use wireless function.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
Price doesn't bother me. Trying to make good photos is a pain, lugging equip around, lens, filter, flash, gel selection ... I've held off buying a PW system because it's clunky and doesn't fully integrate with my cameras capabilities. The Canon system is clean, simple and will work flawlessly. Even gels - I hate stupid tape or velcro solutions, finally there is a nice holder and a clean way to manage them.

I saw a comparison somewhere of the new Canon against some 3rd party wireless, and the Canon came out $75 more expensive for a three flash with ST-E3-RT solution (and that was before the ST-E3 last minute price drop).

So I preordered three flashes and the ST-E3-RT.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
Price doesn't bother me. Trying to make good photos is a pain, lugging equip around, lens, filter, flash, gel selection ... I've held off buying a PW system because it's clunky and doesn't fully integrate with my cameras capabilities. The Canon system is clean, simple and will work flawlessly. Even gels - I hate stupid tape or velcro solutions, finally there is a nice holder and a clean way to manage them.

I saw a comparison somewhere of the new Canon against some 3rd party wireless, and the Canon came out $75 more expensive for a three flash with ST-E3-RT solution (and that was before the ST-E3 last minute price drop).

So I preordered three flashes and the ST-E3-RT.

In what way does the PW not integrate with your system?

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

My understanding is that I cannot fully control the speed lights from the back of the camera, as I can with a Canon flash on a Canon body using the full menu system. I would have to walk around and change settings by hand, which would slow down my workflow too much. The new Speedlights also have the slaves communicating back to the master when they have recharged, with a friendly beep to tell you when they're ready (hurrah! no more black frames). Finally, while the PW have a new version out that is smaller and more streamlined I believe, when I last considered it I thought they were way too large and clumsy on the top of my camera.

If I'm wrong on any of these particulars please let me know. I'm not trying to bash PW or any 3rd party trigger - just saying that I've held out for the fully integrated Canon solution.

briansquibb

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

My understanding is that I cannot fully control the speed lights from the back of the camera, as I can with a Canon flash on a Canon body using the full menu system. I would have to walk around and change settings by hand, which would slow down my workflow too much. The new Speedlights also have the slaves communicating back to the master when they have recharged, with a friendly beep to tell you when they're ready (hurrah! no more black frames). Finally, while the PW have a new version out that is smaller and more streamlined I believe, when I last considered it I thought they were way too large and clumsy on the top of my camera.

If I'm wrong on any of these particulars please let me know. I'm not trying to bash PW or any 3rd party trigger - just saying that I've held out for the fully integrated Canon solution.

Are you talking manual flash then?

With eTTL there is full control when putting a master in the hotshoe (such as a 580EXII or ST-E2. Full flash compensation is available that goes to all slaves automatically). I believe this is the same with the Odins.

The recently relased PW Plus III is not an eTTL controller

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »

With eTTL there is full control when putting a master in the hotshoe (such as a 580EXII or ST-E2. Full flash compensation is available that goes to all slaves automatically). I believe this is the same with the Odins.

My understanding is that HSS isn't available, manual isn't available, and I wasn't sure about ETTL. Sounds like the latest isn't eTTL. I don't know about flash exposure compensation and the other bits.

The only thing that doesn't work with Canon is 2nd curtain sync over wireless - and odd omission. I don't think there are technical reasons preventing it, but since Canon doesn't support it I have to assume there is some timing problem or other.

briansquibb

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 06:03:09 PM »

My understanding is that HSS isn't available, manual isn't available, and I wasn't sure about ETTL. Sounds like the latest isn't eTTL. I don't know about flash exposure compensation and the other bits.

The only thing that doesn't work with Canon is 2nd curtain sync over wireless - and odd omission. I don't think there are technical reasons preventing it, but since Canon doesn't support it I have to assume there is some timing problem or other.

HSS is definitely available with PW - it is totally automatically and is an improvement on the Canon HSS. Manual is the same as the infared system. Also the PW can fire a manual slave (such as a studio light)

Second curtain does work with PW

I am using PW miniTT1 and flexTT5.

I believe Odins have the same functionality at a lower price.

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

HSS is definitely available with PW - it is totally automatically and is an improvement on the Canon HSS. Manual is the same as the infared system. Also the PW can fire a manual slave (such as a studio light)

Interesting, Syl Arena has stated unequivocally that HSS is only available with an all Canon system, maybe I misunderstood him. 

I read through their theory for improved performance. I've noticed that the Canon engineers are extremely conservative, a trait that I can appreciate being I'm an engineer is a similar field (i.e. my customers are, shall we say, intolerant of errors on my part). So they also under spec and over deliver. Since they bracket HSS with guard bands I expect they want to make sure that you get the shot - the flash tube is warmed up before the shutter opens. The PW guys are willing to live closer to the edge.

No matter, Canon RT is still less equip, lower profile (wireless built into flash and eventually built into bodies I'm sure), and I've heard a rumor from a Canon rep that they'll be releasing receivers for legacy flashes and studio strobes, plus of course the recycle report back. I'm glad I waited.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »

Interesting, Syl Arena has stated unequivocally that HSS is only available with an all Canon system, maybe I misunderstood him. 

I read through their theory for improved performance. I've noticed that the Canon engineers are extremely conservative, a trait that I can appreciate being I'm an engineer is a similar field (i.e. my customers are, shall we say, intolerant of errors on my part). So they also under spec and over deliver. Since they bracket HSS with guard bands I expect they want to make sure that you get the shot - the flash tube is warmed up before the shutter opens. The PW guys are willing to live closer to the edge.

No matter, Canon RT is still less equip, lower profile (wireless built into flash and eventually built into bodies I'm sure), and I've heard a rumor from a Canon rep that they'll be releasing receivers for legacy flashes and studio strobes, plus of course the recycle report back. I'm glad I waited.

I have a stack of 580EX/580EXII so to move to all Canon 600 RT would mean a big hit and high cost. I hope you are right about the inclusion of legacy speedlights - that would potentially make life easier in the future

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »
I have a stack of 580EX/580EXII so to move to all Canon 600 RT would mean a big hit and high cost. I hope you are right about the inclusion of legacy speedlights - that would potentially make life easier in the future

I hear you, keeping up with the technology curve can be painful! I've just got a 430EX, a 530-IIex and I was planning on buying a third and final flash when they did the latest upgrade - and it happens that they didn't include mixing optical and RF wireless. Purely a software omission I'm sure for marketing purposes.

At any rate I pretty much decided to go whole hog and get the three 600's and digital controller. For the times I want more flashes I can go optical, futz with line of site, hotshoe cord and use all five. If they do release a legacy receiver then I'll buy two for my older flashes.

I've been surprised before, but I think/hope these flashes will last a long, long time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »