November 23, 2014, 11:12:14 AM

Author Topic: New Canon Speedlites and ST-E3!  (Read 52306 times)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: New Canon Speedlites and ST-E3!
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that you can trigger the shutter remotely with the new 600EX/STE3 combo. For instance, with the ST-E3 mounted on the body, I believe you can trigger the shutter on the camera via radio with a 600EX. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I really like the Odins, but this feature would be a nice perk. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that you can trigger the shutter remotely with the new 600EX/STE3 combo. For instance, with the ST-E3 mounted on the body, I believe you can trigger the shutter on the camera via radio with a 600EX. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I really like the Odins, but this feature would be a nice perk.

Yes I've read that multiple places. Only with a 2012 camera I believe (5DMKII and 1DX). A ST-E3-RT will also remote trigger.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

Yes I've read that multiple places. Only with a 2012 camera I believe (5DMKII and 1DX). A ST-E3-RT will also remote trigger.

Very cool. That does choosing between the Odins and the 600EX more difficult. I like the performance and price of the Odins, but having an OE Canon solution for radio flash triggering as well as radio shutter triggering would eliminate a half dozen accessories out of my camera bad, which is getting crowded as is already. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »

Very cool. That does choosing between the Odins and the 600EX more difficult. I like the performance and price of the Odins, but having an OE Canon solution for radio flash triggering as well as radio shutter triggering would eliminate a half dozen accessories out of my camera bad, which is getting crowded as is already.

I have a seperate bag for flash gear
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lowepro-NOVA-200-AW-SLR-Camera-Bag-/270688343239?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3f064854c7
It holds
4 x 580ex2
4 x yongnuo external battery packs
4 x odin recievers
2 x odin transmitters
1 x Ni-Mh battery charger
piles of spare AA eneloops
Gels
I also keep a physical eTTL cable in there just in case
and a gary fong light sphere and stofen omni bounce
also just in case
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lowepro-NOVA-200-AW-SLR-Camera-Bag-/270688343239?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3f064854c7
It holds
4 x 580ex2
4 x yongnuo external battery packs
4 x odin recievers
2 x odin transmitters
1 x Ni-Mh battery charger
piles of spare AA eneloops
Gels
I also keep a physical eTTL cable in there just in case
and a gary fong light sphere and stofen omni bounce
also just in case

Its not the flash gear that is hard to carry it is the stands and umbrellas that are hard. 3 stands, 3 7ft parabola, couple of small 42inch , various light modifiers.

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
With the integrated RT flash solution I'll be able to keep my kit down to a single Pelican 1510 case http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510 and a small photo backpack.

Basically a few lenses, flashes, tripod head and pano bar, compact Manfrotto stands and light modifiers. OK I cheat and the tripod is extra.

I'm working my way down to one lens, and a total bare minimum of equipment. I'm working on a way to use the flashes without stands or umbrellas.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »

Me too. I just don't like having lots of gear, but I suppose that makes me a freak. I've tried my best to keep the amount of equipment I have to minimum, but this s**t keeps piling up, I tell ya :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »
With the integrated RT flash solution I'll be able to keep my kit down to a single Pelican 1510 case http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510 and a small photo backpack.

Basically a few lenses, flashes, tripod head and pano bar, compact Manfrotto stands and light modifiers. OK I cheat and the tripod is extra.

I'm working my way down to one lens, and a total bare minimum of equipment. I'm working on a way to use the flashes without stands or umbrellas.

Love to hear about the standless flashes - I find I use 3 for portraits - one each side, one overhead. Using the supersize umbrellas do give wonderfull soft light that wraps around amazingly well

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
Love to hear about the standless flashes - I find I use 3 for portraits - one each side, one overhead. Using the supersize umbrellas do give wonderfull soft light that wraps around amazingly well

Its a work in progress. I love to use stands and big modifiers, but don't like carrying, setting up and breaking them down. It seems like every piece of gear is just another thing keeping me from taking pictures.

So far I've got good success with a few techniques, that I won't spill here! I'll either put up a web page, or write a small book on the subject when the experiments are concluded.

briansquibb

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »

Its a work in progress. I love to use stands and big modifiers, but don't like carrying, setting up and breaking them down. It seems like every piece of gear is just another thing keeping me from taking pictures.

So far I've got good success with a few techniques, that I won't spill here! I'll either put up a web page, or write a small book on the subject when the experiments are concluded.

Sounds revolutionary -good luck!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »
i've got some stands and umbrellas that fit into a couple of old cheap rubbish tripod bags i had lying around you know the wobbly $10 aluminim tripods that struggle to hold a point and shoot. turns out those nylon bags hold a flash stand with head and 33" umbrella attached so nothing to break down

then i have a bigger stand with C stand and 40" umbrella in bigger manfrotto tripod bag

I have also seen 1m long bags on ebay that claim to hold 3 stands but i like this setup as i can pick and choose but there is no breaking down of stands which is nice

backdrops however :( thats another storey

also i find gorrilla pods make awesome standless flash supports if you have trees or poles around on location
so i keep a couple of them handy in my kit
APS-H Fanboy

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »

Yes they can trigger remotely.  Saw them demo this weekend at Canon seminar. 
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »
Sounds revolutionary -good luck!

Probably not, experiments end up with nothing more often then not.  :) But sometimes ....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »

patz

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2012, 06:58:47 AM »

Yes they can trigger remotely.  Saw them demo this weekend at Canon seminar.
Can I trigger the camera with IR instead of radio? I'm using 600D and not planning to buy ST-E3 (I would rather upgrade my camera in the future than using an on-top accessories, unconvenient).

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
Can I trigger the camera with IR instead of radio? I'm using 600D and not planning to buy ST-E3 (I would rather upgrade my camera in the future than using an on-top accessories, unconvenient).

Don't know about the 600D but I have an IR remote trigger for the 5DMKII. Annoying little thing, it only supports 2S delay shoot mode (AFAIK), and the remote has to be pointed just right to get it to fire. For self shots (group and self portrait) I have to quickly try and trigger and put my arm down.

It does work and is cheap however.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »