Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 405

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 88544 times)

Kliphten

Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
So it's out.  Seems like a great camera, but I'm incredibly disappointed in the price.  After about 4 years after the II, the III comes out at a much higher price tag.  Now, if you look at Apple, they release products every year that are better spec'ed yet they don't increase the price with each release just because it was better than the last iteration.

It's expected that technology improves, right?  I understand the dollar has weakened over the last few years but this just seems like a ridiculous price increase.  Looks like I won't be getting one, not because I can't but because I feel it isn't worth it.

How's everyone else feel about it?

canon rumors FORUM

Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »

lseamer

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:02:54 AM »
That sucking sound you hear is market-share going to Nikon and Sony. I can not believe the MkIII has only
22 Mega pixels, 2 different memory card formats (ugh), very little (if any) new technology and a hefty price increase. The EF 24 -70 II has no IS. Both at a significantly increased price. The only upside is that my MkII and 24 - 70 are still the best values in the market. I CAN believe that the Canon CEO recently resigned. 

randplaty

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:17 AM »
That sucking sound you hear is market-share going to Nikon and Sony. I can not believe the MkIII has only
22 Mega pixels, 2 different memory card formats (ugh), very little (if any) new technology and a hefty price increase. The EF 24 -70 II has no IS. Both at a significantly increased price. The only upside is that my MkII and 24 - 70 are still the best values in the market. I CAN believe that the Canon CEO recently resigned.

Who cares about megapixels.  Seriously.  22 megapixels can make HUGE prints.  I'm glad the price has increased so that people who care about megapixels (non pros) won't buy this camera.

Kliphten

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:19:31 AM »

Who cares about megapixels.  Seriously.  22 megapixels can make HUGE prints.  I'm glad the price has increased so that people who care about megapixels (non pros) won't buy this camera.

That's not really the best reason to increase the price.  I think this is a great camera but after 4 years of R&D, to come out with this price seems unreasonable, to me.

StevenBrianSamuels

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »

You Sir, have no idea what you are spewing. 

MPs a extremely important to the studio and landscape crowd.  Landscape folks what better detail in big prints.  Studio folks want to satisfy clients needs for higher MPs so clients can crop as much as they want and still have enough MPs for a variety of uses.

In your mind MF folks using huge MP digital backs arent pros?

Kingw

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:24 AM »
Well what do you expect the price will be, below 3k? It won't happen because it is Canon.

If you're unhappy about the price, just wait until next year and maybe the price will drop.

jaduffy007

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »
It's a 5d2n for $3,500.  No thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »

Bob_McBob

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
I'm wondering who would pay $300 extra for the privilege of buying their 5D3 from a Canadian vendor when the dollar is above par.

Bonnau_Photo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
I am hugely disappointed too. But not for the same reasons you are..
2 stops better ISO, Almost the same AF as the big dog. 22MP full frame. Better weather sealing. Now I can see not much of a reason to justify the purchase of the 1D X.. Faster frame rate, better body and slightly better AF.. Hard to justify the double price tag..
I seriously wish the 1Dx was $5K.

EDIT: for clarity.. I wish the 1D X was $5K
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:48:24 AM by Bonnau_Photo »

BlueMixWhite

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »
Overall, seem like a FF sensor living in 7D. Currently in my country, the price for Mk2 is MYR6,700 and converting latest mk3 USD3,500 to MYR....it would be MYR10,500. That like paying extra MYR3,800 for it.

SwanSong

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »
At 3500 I would rather just pick up a used 5d2 with a 70-200 2.8l mkii and call it a spring! I'm pretty sure the 3500 sticker price will scare many non-pros away.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »
Is this inflation?  Canon has always charged top dollar but.....
                   :o
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

capertillar

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »
yeah, it's a shame...

question is *why* they set that price point...

my random guess is they already know that there will be severe shortage of the product, given that they need to produce sufficient supply of both the 1DX and 5Dmk3... so during this low supply, high demand period, they figured they may as well boost the price, pocket the extra dollars, and when they're able to produce the 5Dmk3 in larger supply, they can cut the price and market to the "rest" of us

could be awhile before the price cuts happen though... but i cant justify dropping 3500 on this... specs are awesome, but no matter how i see it, it's just a boosted 5dmk2, which as many others have outlined, is expected for the next iteration of the 5dmk3...

imagine what wouldve happened if they released the 5dmk3 with 4 fps, 45 pt AF, same MP (which happened), similar video capabilities, etc etc... wouldve been a major flop (i.e. beaten in most every category by the D800), so all they did was keep the darn thing competitive, while overcharging by a solid 500 USD
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:40:24 AM by capertillar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »

buster84

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »
The price should have been 3k to at least compete with Nikon. I'm betting that the CEO of Nikon is laughing at canon for sending them lots of new customers.

takoman46

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »
I didn't want the 5DmkIII to be priced at $3500 but I pre ordered one anyway because I feel it is still worth it based on the specs and the sample images from the canon japan website.  But then again I do not fall into the "non-pro" category as the many of you have described.  I think it is a great value compared to the 1Dx, especially for shooting portraits and weddings.  :) Much more of what I want compared to the Nikon D800. It just depends on what your purposes are and what you expect out of your tools.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:46:34 AM by takoman46 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »