Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 172426 times)

gabriele

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • My Flickr page
Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »
You have it your way - I am sticking to my 5D2 priced series 1.

F/8 is the real bonus to me - yes I do use the 2x on a F/4 lens or is it a 1.4 x on a 5.6? That was a dealmaker for me

All the other things you mention are not relevant to me - as I said I use this at iso400 or less for studio type work. I dont do video either.

I feel you have no experience of a 1Ds3 and certainly none of a 5D3 so your 'way better than a 1Ds3' is not based on fact or experience just hearsay and a spec sheet.

I have quite a good experience with 5D2 and not such a long experience with 1Ds3 but I used it for some time.
I didn't notice picture quality difference (and I've been using it at low ISO).

The weird thing is that you say you don't use ISO more than 400 but then you say you need focus at f/8, this somewhat doesn't make sense beside maybe you shoot always under direct sunlight or in a studio where I doubt you'll ever need a TC, also why on your signature it says EOS 40D + 18-55 + 55-250?
I don't get how you say you use a 1Ds3 and a 5D2 but not nice lenses, I mean the only very good lens that won't work used together with a 1.4xTC is the 800 f/5.6L.
Notice also how the new AF is still better than the old one as  the review on CR homepage today is noticing, so maybe f/8 is not everything and in any case you don't know if things will change with a firmware update, as Canon said they're considering it.
Other thing is that I checked the prices of the old 1Ds3 on eBay...welll they range from $4,450 to $4,750 and those are mainly used bodies so tell me how is that less expensive than a 5D3 which new comes at $3500.
No one told you to change your camera, I would be happier too if the 5D3 was less expensive and this is why I'm not switching yet, but I was only mentioning facts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:00:09 AM by gabriele »
http://flickr.com/gabriele83
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:02 AM »

caMARYnon

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
Here, pre-order price already dropped to 3300 euros (from 3,680 euros). At this rate, in two weeks will cost the same as  D800  :P
5D mkIII, 35 f1.4L II, 100 f2.8L IS

briansquibb

« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »

F/8 is the real bonus to me - yes I do use the 2x on a F/4 lens or is it a 1.4 x on a 5.6? That was a dealmaker for me

All the other things you mention are not relevant to me - as I said I use this at iso400 or less for studio type work. I dont do video either.

I feel you have no experience of a 1Ds3 and certainly none of a 5D3 so your 'way better than a 1Ds3' is not based on fact or experience just hearsay and a spec sheet.

I have quite a good experience with 5D2 and not such a long experience with 1Ds3 but I used it for some time.

The weird thing is that you say you don't use ISO more than 400 but then you say you need focus at f/8, this somewhat doesn't make sense beside maybe you shoot always under direct sunlight or in a studio where I doubt you'll ever need a TC, also why on your signature it says EOS 40D + 18-55 + 55-250?
I don't get how you say you use a 1Ds3 and a 5D2 but not nice lenses, I mean the only very good lens that won't work used together with a 1.4xTC is the 800 f/5.6L

My sig shows the 40D because I have one

I also have a couple of long white lens and flash. Put the two together and you end up shooting outdoors at F/8 @ 1/2000 @1200mm without a problem. Try 100-400 + 1.4 for a f/8 - perhaps ypu dont consider the 100-400 good?

I have never said that I have poor lens - in fact the only non L lens I have are the 50 f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8 apart from my 2 old ef-s that came with my old 40d.

I am not suggesting the 5DIII is poor - just disagreeing with your statement that the 5DIII is 'way  better' than the 1Ds3. If I was to replace the 1Ds3 it probably would be with a 1DX and keep my 1D4 as a backup.

briansquibb

« Reply #423 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Thats because the real price of the 5dMarkus the 3rd. should lower than the D800 because it is a inferior camera in many aspects like build quality, AF system, F/8 support, hdmi free feed, atm seems that even the lenses will cost less even thou they are better, we all know that the video will be better on the 5d, but hey, we have dx support so we can shoot at 16mp if we want, and also have the crop power which is a plus for landscapes and PP, 5d will be more like a workhorse, but the d800 will be more like a specific public type, it would't be a biggy if all Canon lovers knew that the 5d Markus the 3rd. was better than the D800, but they don't know, that's why they complaint about the price, otherwise they would just have said: It is ok at least we have the better product. ATM i see more Canon fans upset with Canon than Nikon fans upset with Nikon, hell it is even more than Xpro1 fans, at least they know what they are getting. Just look at this thread it has 32590 Views so far, this is just as much as the thead that shows the 5d specs.

Do I detect a Nikon troll? :D :D :D

briansquibb

« Reply #424 on: March 13, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »

you do thats why i have a 550d and a 7D, because im a Nikon troll

Your post reads as if you are unhappy with Canon and you would like to be with Nikon - so that would not be unreasonable.

xROELOFx

• EOS M5
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:58 AM »

you do thats why i have a 550d and a 7D, because im a Nikon troll

Your post reads as if you are unhappy with Canon and you would like to be with Nikon - so that would not be unreasonable.

Im because i was expecting a bit more from the 5d, especially if im using a 7d, it would be a small improvement.

oo yes i forgot, it seems that the moire is badass on the 5d compared to the D800 in video, well it seems that the best card the Canon had is not that good anymore:

Moire test of 5dMarkus the 3rd. vs the D800:

D800vs5Dmark2_moire/ISO.mov
dude, you know the video you have posted is a comparison between the 5D mark II (<-- look closely, that's 2) and the D800. not the 5D mark III right?
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

iso79

• EOS M5
« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »

gabriele

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

I don't get how you say you use a 1Ds3 and a 5D2 but not nice lenses, I mean the only very good lens that won't work used together with a 1.4xTC is the 800 f/5.6L

My sig shows the 40D because I have one

I also have a couple of long white lens and flash. Put the two together and you end up shooting outdoors at F/8 @ 1/2000 @1200mm without a problem. Try 100-400 + 1.4 for a f/8 - perhaps ypu dont consider the 100-400 good?

I have never said that I have poor lens - in fact the only non L lens I have are the 50 f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8 apart from my 2 old ef-s that came with my old 40d.

I am not suggesting the 5DIII is poor - just disagreeing with your statement that the 5DIII is 'way  better' than the 1Ds3. If I was to replace the 1Ds3 it probably would be with a 1DX and keep my 1D4 as a backup.

So let me recap: you say you own a 1D4, a 1Ds3, a 5D2 and a 40D and since you say you reach 1200mm at f/8 this makes me think you use a 600 f/4 which is a uber expensive lens, and then you comment about 3500 bucks being a lot? And also why you put in your signature your worst camera with worst lenses?
But also, I would like to know how you get 1/2000 at f/8 at 400ISO if not only under strong sunlight. Also I would like to know what do you do with a 1200mm lens and a flash, what kind of pictures do you take?
I never said 400ISO is bad, what I said is that the old 5D2 behaves practically the same as the 1Ds3 at low ISO (so 1Ds3 is no better than 5D2 in picture quality at low ISO), but behaves better at high ISO and that the 5D3 is 2 stops better than the 5D2 so even way better than the 1Ds at high ISO, also I underlined the new features of the 5D3 which makes it better than the 1Ds3:

WAY better performance in low light
Better AF (as said already f/8 could be not that important and it's not final since Canon said they're considering this matter).
1 fps faster
Slightly better resolution
Way more functions also including multiple exposures, HDR, more options for braketing, better screen and so on.
Better overall price even considering the used market the new 5D3 is at least 1000 dollars less expensive than an used 1Ds3.

You can say whatever you want but you know that a 5D3 (without considering the apparently so important for you f/8 focus) with a battery grip is a better overall camera compared to a 1Ds3.
http://flickr.com/gabriele83
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

briansquibb

« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
And also why you put in your signature your worst camera with worst lenses?

Because I want to. When I put the full list I got flamed and accused of being a rich kid

But also, I would like to know how you get 1/2000 at f/8 at 400ISO if not only under strong sunlight.

As I said before - I use flash

WAY better performance in low light

I dont use low light which is why thoughout I qualified myself with the shooting at 400iso or less

You can say whatever you want but you know that a 5D3 (without considering the apparently so important for you f/8 focus) with a battery grip is a better overall camera compared to a 1Ds3.

I dont know this at all and neither do you at this point - you are guessing.  You stated that the 5D2 gave better performance than the 1Ds3 and that has been proven erroneous.

I suggest this debate is terminated now

As I said I have nothing against the 5D3, it looks like a nice camera but at this point for me there are few if any benefits to be gained without losing some of the series 1 functionality.

takoman46

« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

Im because i was expecting a bit more from the 5d, especially if im using a 7d, it would be a small improvement.

I don't understand this. You currently use a 7D and you don't think the 5DmkIII is a big improvement from your 7D?  ???

Have you used a 5DmkII before? If you have, you would know that the 5DmkII is a beast of a camera in terms of ISO performance and IQ.  It lacks the speed of the 7D and 19pt AF. I have a 7D and 5DmkII and am now selling my 7D because the 5DmkIII is here. At least to me, the 2 fps more I get out the 7D doesn't justify keeping it around.

So how can the 5DmkIII be a small improvement over the 7D? It is a significant improvement over the 5DmkII IMO; which was a already a lot better than the 7D... Try out a 5DmkII and compare the IQ and ISO performance to your 7D. It's night and day  ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2012, 02:45:06 AM »

I don't understand this. You currently use a 7D and you don't think the 5DmkIII is a big improvement from your 7D?  ???

Have you used a 5DmkII before? If you have, you would know that the 5DmkII is a beast of a camera in terms of ISO performance and IQ.  It lacks the speed of the 7D and 19pt AF. I have a 7D and 5DmkII and am now selling my 7D because the 5DmkIII is here. At least to me, the 2 fps more I get out the 7D doesn't justify keeping it around.

So how can the 5DmkIII be a small improvement over the 7D? It is a significant improvement over the 5DmkII IMO; which was a already a lot better than the 7D... Try out a 5DmkII and compare the IQ and ISO performance to your 7D. It's night and day  ;D

Totally agree, sold my 7Ds because of the poor IQ compared to my 5D2

briansquibb

« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »

Dude, take pictures of something other than toenails in the dark and your will see that their really isn't that much IQ difference. Especially if you actually ever print the pictures, you will see that the gains are to a significant part imaginary.

I dont think it is an appropriate response to be rude to someone just because they have done something that you dont approve of.

If you have been following the threads on this forum you would have spotted that I am into low iso images, flash and printing - so your comments are doubly out of order.  >:( >:( >:(

briansquibb

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:02 AM »

Dude, take pictures of something other than toenails in the dark and your will see that their really isn't that much IQ difference. Especially if you actually ever print the pictures, you will see that the gains are to a significant part imaginary.

I dont think it is an appropriate response to be rude to someone just because they have done something that you dont approve of.

If you have been following the threads on this forum you would have spotted that I am into low iso images, flash and printing - so your comments are doubly out of order.  >:( >:( >:(

Says the guy with the 40 d and  some kit lienses

Wrong again  >:( >:( >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:02 AM »

takoman46

« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2012, 05:19:45 AM »

You don't need to take low light photos to see the difference between the 5DmkII and the 7D.  Even in well exposed shots where I'm blowing flash, the 5DmkII kills the 7D in IQ. The amount of detail dwarfs what the 7D produces.  The 5DmkII FF sensor is just that much better even though it is older tech. You may not think so, but the difference was apparent enough for me to immediately recognize that I was not particularly impressed with the 7D IQ in comparison to my 5DmkII.  I bought the 7D for the 8fps and because I was curious about the 19pt AF.  The gains are not imaginary. If you have a 5DmkII and a 7D then I can agree to disagree that our standards are clearly different and that's fine. But I wouldn't be so bold as to claim that the 7D can hang with the 5DmkII or 1DSmkIII for that matter (being that the latter 2 FF bodies have comparable IQ) in terms of IQ in any given light. That's laughable.

briansquibb

« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »
You don't need to take low light photos to see the difference between the 5DmkII and the 7D.  Even in well exposed shots where I'm blowing flash, the 5DmkII kills the 7D in IQ. The amount of detail dwarfs what the 7D produces.  The 5DmkII FF sensor is just that much better even though it is older tech. You may not think so, but the difference was apparent enough for me to immediately recognize that I was not particularly impressed with the 7D IQ in comparison to my 5DmkII.  I bought the 7D for the 8fps and because I was curious about the 19pt AF.  The gains are not imaginary. If you have a 5DmkII and a 7D then I can agree to disagree that our standards are clearly different and that's fine. But I wouldn't be so bold as to claim that the 7D can hang with the 5DmkII or 1DSmkIII for that matter (being that the latter 2 FF bodies have comparable IQ) in terms of IQ in any given light. That's laughable.

You nake a lto of tlak, but the lack of a crop on the 5d makes it wortheless for real world shooting . SUre now nad manybe the d anod others look better on test charts and brick walls, but ir real life, the 7D kills them with drop and resolution.

Use a longer lens ie for a 250 on a 1.6 will give the same framing as a 400 on a full frame.

21mp of the 5D2 gives a higher resolution than the 7D so a 5D2 with a 400 will always be better than a 7D with a 250.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »