Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 92456 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:21 AM »
Many of us have complained about poor AF , slow fps, and others in the 5Dmk2.... NOW canon have solved almost all those problems, AF FPS etc. is not normal to keep the price at $2700 ( don't mention the inflation and other raw materials price increase).

In my opinion $3500 is a fair price for what this camera offers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:21 AM »

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 01:51:03 AM »

Who cares about megapixels.  Seriously.  22 megapixels can make HUGE prints.  I'm glad the price has increased so that people who care about megapixels (non pros) won't buy this camera.

You Sir, have no idea what you are spewing. 

MPs a extremely important to the studio and landscape crowd.  Landscape folks what better detail in big prints.  Studio folks want to satisfy clients needs for higher MPs so clients can crop as much as they want and still have enough MPs for a variety of uses.

In your mind MF folks using huge MP digital backs arent pros?

MF Folks, myself being one use a sensor 3 times the size of a 35mm DSLR. For certain portrait work I use a Leaf Aptus 22mp back from 2004, the pixel pitch is 9 microns and at ISO 50 it noticeably beats the 5D2, 1Ds3 and 1D4 for IQ.

I would never really consider a 40mp 35mm sensor. Not until a second generation version at least. Image quality is king and even with my 1Ds3 I've taken landscapes that print a meter wide.

High MP = Small pixels = not good for IQ
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Kliphten

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 01:54:39 AM »
I am hugely disappointed too. But not for the same reasons you are..
2 stops better ISO, Almost the same AF as the big dog. 22MP full frame. Better weather sealing. Now I can see not much of a reason to justify the purchase of the 1D X.. Faster frame rate, better body and slightly better AF.. Hard to justify the double price tag..
I seriously wish the 1Dx was $5K.

EDIT: for clarity.. I wish the 1D X was $5K

Well, that is definitely one way to think of it.  After seeing the price of the Mark III and the similar specs to the 1DX, I feel that Canon overpriced the 1DX because they know only the pros are going to buy it (not for the masses) and then set the price of the 5DIII where it is at so that everyone would think that it is such a great deal (because you're almost getting a 1DX).  I now feel both are over priced.

h4ldol

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
Of course I would have been thrilled if the 5DIII was being released for $3000, or even $3200, but since I'll be upgrading from a 40D (that has served me well for the past four years) I feel that it'll be worth the full $3500.  If I had a MKII I might feel differently, but this sounds exactly like the FF DSLR I've been waiting for (which is why I just preordered it!). 

Kliphten

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »
I am hugely disappointed too. But not for the same reasons you are..
2 stops better ISO, Almost the same AF as the big dog. 22MP full frame. Better weather sealing. Now I can see not much of a reason to justify the purchase of the 1D X.. Faster frame rate, better body and slightly better AF.. Hard to justify the double price tag..
I seriously wish the 1Dx was $5K.

EDIT: for clarity.. I wish the 1D X was $5K

Ah, okay, just saw your edit.  Thought you trying to say what a great deal the 5D III was.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:16 AM »
a pristine used 5d2 can be buy at around $1750 and it will be lower at the new price will reduce. i really want the 5d3. but at $3000 is convinceable.. NOT $3500..

Kliphten

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:33 AM »
Many of us have complained about poor AF , slow fps, and others in the 5Dmk2.... NOW canon have solved almost all those problems, AF FPS etc. is not normal to keep the price at $2700 ( don't mention the inflation and other raw materials price increase).

Other industries constantly come out with new technology at the same, or even lower, prices.  Why not the same for the camera industry?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:33 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:07 AM »
I understand what are you saying.... but if 5D3 was with 19 AF points (same as 7D) 4.9 fps, one card slot and others $3500  have been a high price.

Bennymiata

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:44 AM »
As DP Review says, this is not so much a replacement for the 5D2 (as it will remain in production for a reduced price), but halfway model between the 5D2 and 1Dx.
If you look at it this way, and seeing it has the 1Dx focussing, weather sealing, faster FPS etc etc, it doesn't look so expensive anymore.
We'll see in the near future how the Nikon D800 and the 5D3 compare when all the reviewers do their comparisons, but I think the 5D3 will hold its own.
Megapixels aren't everything, that's for sure.

Perhaps Canon should have called it the 3 or 4D just to say hey! This is a new camera, instead of calling it the 5D3, and then we would probably be happier about paying $3500 for it.

D_Rochat

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »
While I don't think $3500 is a great deal, I don't think it's unreasonable either. This is looking like a do it all work horse and I can't wait to see the reviews. If this thing is everything I think and hope it is, I'll hopefully have one by September. $3500 is just the MSRP and I'm sure you'll see the price drop a little once it hits the streets.... I hope.

capertillar

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »
quite true... changing the label to 3D would likely have justified the price tag in most peoples eyes...

at the end of the day, we can only compare it to whats available in the market, and since nikon has released a competitive product for 500 USD cheaper than what canon is marketing, then its natural to feel that the 5d3 price tag is a bit on the high side

its arguable whether or not the 5d3 and D800 are comparable, but i think in the most general sense of the term, regarding technology and simply put, capabilities, they both have desirable features... i love the fact the D800 can crop and that it can still accept crop lenses, the 36MP actually isnt a feature im in love with, but no matter, it DOES have features I would have liked to see in my vision of an "ultimate" compact FF dslr body

so from that perspective, competitive, yes.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:33 AM »
mmm... just wandering if this means that the 5D2 is going to stay current?

So 5d2 and 5d3 will remain in the market, offering FF-newcomers another option
for a lower-price FF model...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
Of course I would have been thrilled if the 5DIII was being released for $3000, or even $3200, but since I'll be upgrading from a 40D (that has served me well for the past four years) I feel that it'll be worth the full $3500.  If I had a MKII I might feel differently, but this sounds exactly like the FF DSLR I've been waiting for (which is why I just preordered it!).

So am I. The new cam is the one I was looking for. One year from now or maybe better fall 2013 I'll be upgrading from a 30D. As I am not a pro, and not even in wedding photography, time doesn't  matter, and if time is money, there's even a possibility to get it a lower price tag by then.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:21:01 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »

buster84

Mark III Price turning you off? Considering a different model now?
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »
I was hoping for a Mark III at 3k, but that didn't happen. So now I'm looking for a price dropped Mark II or getting a 60d for now and waiting for the Mark IV. I wanted a full frame, but my budget is now 2k. I also want new and not refurbished.  I'd rather buy used than refurbished.

SRHelicity

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »

Other industries constantly come out with new technology at the same, or even lower, prices.  Why not the same for the camera industry?

The price of technology almost always go down with time.  It's why I can buy a new, very nice laptop now for less than the new, very nice laptop I bought back in 2008 (much better specs for a lower price).  We *expect* that the latest models will bring more for less (or at least more for the same), within obvious reason.  Typically, for product differentiation purposes, the classes stay similarly-priced, but new models just pack in new or upgraded features.  It's quite clear that the 5D3 is not designed to "compete" against the D800.  By itself, the 5D3 looks pretty good, though it's out of my price range.  In comparison to the latest Nikon offerings, though, it falls quite short. 

If I had no Canon-mount glass, I'd be hard pressed to choose the 5D3 over the D800 right now. However, I do have EF-mount lenses, and my desired camera is a low-end FF.  I'd be nice of Canon could come out with a 5D3 "light" -- something with only 3-4 fps, less sophisticated AF, worse weather sealing, similar sensor, etc., for ~$1800-$1900.  I'd think that the 5D2 will drop in price to fill that role, but I've read quite mixed reviews about the 5D2 in regards to high ISO noise and AF reliability. 

I assume Canon will eventually put out a very high MP beast to rival the D800, but I'd also think that such a camera would be priced between the 5D3 and the 1D X. Obviously, that's likely a non-starter considering the $2999 price tag for the D800. 

Honestly, as someone who has some money in Canon products but who has little allegiance to the company, I think the D800 was a game changer. Of course, Canon knows that people get invested in the Canon ecosystem (lenses, accessories, etc.), and thus have relatively high inertia when it comes to brands.  Most people who own a bunch of Canon products are not going to up and leave the brand since the cost of switching into the Nikon ecosystem can be expensive (replace all lenses, etc.).  As such, they probably realize that they can charge a premium. Of course, this does little to attract new users, but it's apparent to me, based upon the 5D3's price, that Canon isn't focusing on that right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »