Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 90445 times)

Michael7

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 03:14:47 AM »
You expect a company that doesn't include lens hoods with lenses in 2012 to include that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 03:14:47 AM »

Flake

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
I'm more annoyed at US$850 for the WFT-E7A wireless file transmitter.  And am reading this right - you need the ST-E3-RT transmitter (US$470) to wirelessly trigger the new flash?  Plus another US$390 for the GP-E2 GPS receiver if you want GPS data?

Seriously people, it's 2012.  We're in the age of connectivity and the cloud.  You'd expect all of the above to be built into a new, $3,500 camera.

And the transmitter doesn't have AF assist! 

Rank_90

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 03:17:34 AM »
And am reading this right - you need the ST-E3-RT transmitter (US$470) to wirelessly trigger the new flash? 

The way I read it, the transmiter is built in to the Mark III. Very impressed with the Camera. Love it! Liver and lung are on ebay to cover cost. Happy Bidding!

Global Express

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 03:18:40 AM »
You guys in the USA should consider yourselves lucky!!! Here in the UK, the 5DmkIII is retailing for £2999.95 - that's $4780 USD!!!!!!!

I would happily pay $3,500 USD for the 5DmkIII. The US price tag translates into around 2,100 GBP, which is roughly the same as the 5DmkII when first released in the UK.

As usual, the prices over here are ridiculous. For 3,000, I'd rather get a refurbished 1Dmk4.

nighstar

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 03:19:01 AM »
i too am saddened by the high price of the camera (particularly the ridiculous premium Australia is made to pay), but do i think the price is completely unwarranted? well, i think it's too early to really tell.

this camera with its specs is my dream digital camera.... i just wish it were more affordable.

damn Australia and its high prices. i miss America!

randplaty

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:44 AM »

Who cares about megapixels.  Seriously.  22 megapixels can make HUGE prints.  I'm glad the price has increased so that people who care about megapixels (non pros) won't buy this camera.

You Sir, have no idea what you are spewing. 

MPs a extremely important to the studio and landscape crowd.  Landscape folks what better detail in big prints.  Studio folks want to satisfy clients needs for higher MPs so clients can crop as much as they want and still have enough MPs for a variety of uses.

In your mind MF folks using huge MP digital backs arent pros?

MF folks will not buy this camera even if it had 40 mpix. MF is not all about Mpix.

It's fine to speculate on what other people want, but do you actually know professionals who want more megapixels?  I know hundreds of professionals and the vast majority do not care about megapixels.  Speculate on the landscape crowd or the studio crowd or whatever crowd.  Canon knows who the professionals are and Canon is talking to them.  I am a wedding photographer and everyone on our pro forum is singing praises literally.  Canon FINALLY listened.  Canon is actively engaging with professionals and they have seriously listened.  They have designed this camera for professionals and not for the hobbyist bird shooter.  Professionals will not blink at spending an extra $1000 to get pretty much the perfect camera.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:22:20 AM by randplaty »

Flake

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:18 AM »
A major mistake on the price.  Is this camera so good it warrants a launch price double the high street price of the previous model, and 25% more expensive than the D800?  Somehow I doubt it, the improvements seem very incremental over the MkII, and while that camera sold in massive numbers I'll stick my neck out and say that this one won't.

I'm going to hold off buying one, I'm convinced Canon are going to get a shock when customer demand isn't any where close to what they expect, and that the price will fall quite dramatically within 6 months of launch.  I bought the 5D MkII soon after launch with a battery grip and spent £1900  I'd now have to spend close to twice that for a camera which isn't going to give me twice the image quality.

For me it's a big thumbs down I'll keep my cash until Canon get some sense, I remember the outcry of Nikon shooters over the D3x price, and a lot of them boycotted the camera, it didn't sell well at all, this is how I see the MkIII, it's just not enough of a step change to justify the price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:18 AM »

Drama79

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »
Well, I'm getting one (Pre-order is in). Like I've said before, I use my 7D for 50/50 photo and video, and this will move everything along nicely. I'd been looking to jump to the 5D2 six months ago, and this actually makes the translation easier, as I think it will operate very similar to the 7, at first use. It IS expensive, but it is also a big jump forward, and will make the 5D2 seem very slow.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:38 AM »
Im just annoyed that somehow $3500 equals £3000. Had it had been at the correct exchange rate i would have had some confidence that by december i would have bought it (historically new cameras are usually 15% off ish in december).

They have done an excellent job at protecting the 5d mkii price at £1500. This also makes me doubnt how much the 5d mkii will be discounted from now (as rumored for the 4th march), as nothing else is that close to its price.

I cant justify double the cost for the 5d mkiii. Also ill wait for the reviews but an extra 25% above the d800 seems alot. Maybe ill take a trip to new york for xmas and it get then :P (keep the missus happy too)

Im sure its worth it, but i just cant afford it. Id rather have a lesser camera and an extra l lens. Gutted.

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
Re: Mark III Price turning you off? Considering a different model now?
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:29 AM »
I'm staying with 60D - too expensive new cameras for hobby and more expensive high quality EF lens...   

crunchy

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 03:36:25 AM »
I'm still baffled by the people who are constantly prattling on about how the low-MP sensor means better DR and high ISO compared to the (less expensive) D800.

Have those people even seen the D800 sample images?

I so want the 5DIII to have amazing DR and high ISO (in raw, not some jpeg noise reduction hell) but I wouldn't call it just yet.

Bring on the reviews, comparisons etc.

And a RAW file or two wouldn't hurt.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Thornmill Images
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 03:38:55 AM »
In Europe the price of $3500 shall be converted 1:1 so it will be €3500
That is twice the price of the new price of the 5DMKII, which is €1750.
I find the new price of the 5DMK3 way too much.

They should open at €2500 that is still €750 (approx. $1000) above the new price of the 5D MKII !!!
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

briansquibb

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »
How many times does it have to be said that the MSRP is not the street price and therefore shouldn't be compared with a heavily discounted street price

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Mark III Price turning you off? Considering a different model now?
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
If I didn't feel I needed the higher resolution (and "lens reach" through the crop factor) of a 7D I would be very pleased with this.  As it is, it doesn't seem like a good solution for a cheap bird photographer.  If I had 800mm and 200mm f/2 lenses, I would consider it, though, because what it will do for wide angle and standard shots is not inconsiderable.  I'd expect the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II and a 5D III to be a better (though not lighter) combination overall than my 7D and 135mm f/2L, for example, at the 200mm end.  But the cost is high enough that I'd rather just stick with the 7D format for now.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Thornmill Images
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
How many times does it have to be said that the MSRP is not the street price and therefore shouldn't be compared with a heavily discounted street price

Brian, you are right.
Though the shops copy the MSRP. The 24-70 MK II is currently for sale at around €2500. Yes, they may drop the price in competition but that will be between €250 and max. €500. So it will still be very very expensive

Ah well, good that we have an economy crisis. May they are forced to drop the price more in order to meet the 2012 sales target. Don't know  :-\
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »