Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 90084 times)

DogoftheMoon

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
I agree with Takoman46.  Price is relative to your needs. When I heard the price for the Mark iii was going to be $3500, I though I'd pass and wait for it to drop.  But when I read what the improvements actually were, I pre-ordered one right away.  A year and a half ago I did a comparison between the image quality of the Sony XDCAM ($6400) and 5D mark ii ($3200--body and 24-70 2.8L zoom). The mark ii blew it away, so I sold the XDCAM and got the 5D m2, a couple of L lenses, and  viewing accessories, and started getting cinematography jobs precisely because clients where looking for experienced  5D m2  operators who came with the camera, and they were in short supply. And business the last year has been great. And while I still think the Mark ii is an awesome camera,  the mark iii has addressed some of the short comings of the mark ii shooting video, especially in low light.   Just the improved 2-stop lower video  noise is worth the price increase, let alone the audio metering. The more I shoot in low, natural light, spend less on lights and lighting crew, but keep a rich, clean professional looking image, the cheaper the budgets and  happier the clients. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »

dkingentertainment

Re: IM FED UP OF PEOPLE COMPLANING ABOUT THE 5DIII PRICES.
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:39 AM »
Is it 4yrs of technology better than my 5D mark II. NO!! So shut up!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joellll

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
I suspect canon is doing this because they want to boost the 5d3 sales even more, since it will still be in production.

Well played canon.

starstreak

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 04:40:19 AM »
Too bad, I'll complain.  I have the mkII.  I would love to get the mkIII but $3500?  That hurts.  Granted it's no 1DX price, but still...
Who does Canon think they are?  Apple?  :P

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 04:42:08 AM »
Canon did us a favour. I had 2 x 1Dx's on onrder, now I have a 1Dx, 5D3 and a 24-70 II instead.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

capertillar

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:11 AM »
so ur sick of reading other ppl rant about the price, so you go and rant about... nothing?

forums are meant for discussing individual thoughts and concerns

people are entitled to offering their opinions about how various companies are producing and marketing their products

likewise, many of these forums are visited by corporations to gain a better understanding of what their ideal customers are seeking and expecting

it's through these "discussions" that we are able to at least passively inform canon about our views.

im a firm believer that they do "hear" us, and whether or not they take action, they at least are listening.

you choose to participate in these forums, so just accept what it is. many feel the price is high, many feel the price is reasonable. there is no right answer, let the forums be what they are meant to be.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »
There are lots of people who have been waiting over a year for this camera, hoping it would improve on the 5d mkii, and come in at a similar price to what the 5d mkii started at £2200ish. Even a modest increase would have been perfectly fine. The extra 35% cost puts it out of reach of lots of enthusiasts who would have otherwise bought this camera. Please allow people to express their frustrations. It might even reach the right ears. Just dont read the threads titled 'dissapointed at price' etc then you wont be annoyed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »

epiem

Re: Mark III Price turning you off? Considering a different model now?
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
As far as being a Producer:
I agree with DKing, we have several 5DmII's and were looking at the 5DmIII as a video upgrade.
Sad to see there is no 1080 @ 60. We would have bought 3 right off the bat at the listed price for 1080 @ 60. But alas...not part of the specs.

As far as Photography goes:
Nice camera, good specs, but let's be honest...is this *really* an upgrade for almost double the price of a 5DmII?

If you can take a good photo, -to an extent- the equipment doesn't really matter. People have been doing just fine with a lot less for a long time.

Bottom line:
-At this price- I would rather buy two 5DmII's or a 5DmII and another 70-200 2.8L II

We could and DO take great photos with the equipment we already have.

I believe Canon is pulling some BS here and will probably see a bad drop in their bottom line for this one.

Rush-G

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »
Jessops in the UK have posted pre order prices of £2999 for 5D MK III Body only. Thats a steep price when its $3500 in the states, I'd rather fly to US buy a 5D MKIII and back to blighty with a couple o 100 pounds left over...ok so I may loose out on the warranty front...but the warrantees really aren't that great anyway.

smartysmart34

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
Never read such an arrogant statement before. Maybe I just didn't read too many of your posts...
Now, where's that bloody "ignore" button again?!?

This is about the DSLR market, it is about competitors and it is about ones oppinion on whether that price is justified or not. And seeing the D800 and comparing it to the 5dIII one gets the impression the MkIII is slightly overprised. And I think it is fully acceptable for people to actually write what they think.

I'm not too heavily invested in Canon lenses. Therefor I was actually starting to calculate how much it would cost to sell the canon equipment and get similar lenses plus D800 from Nikon. Did you see the price for that grip? I get the feeling Canon wants to rip us off. And to my oppinion it is fully acceptable to draw conclusions and act accordingly.

And if Canon thinks that only Pros should buy their 5series, I guess they will lose a significant market share. I know approx. 10 MkII owners and they're all enthusiasts. Non-Pro.

I was willing to buy a MkIII, the grip and get a new lens with it (17-40) and I even put aside some 4.000 € for that package. Ain't gonna happen...

Martin

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:42 AM »
Jessops in the UK have posted pre order prices of £2999 for 5D MK III Body only. Thats a steep price when its $3500 in the states, I'd rather fly to US buy a 5D MKIII and back to blighty with a couple o 100 pounds left over...ok so I may loose out on the warranty front...but the warrantees really aren't that great anyway.
we in the uk have been well and truly shafted yet again but our shite government is to blame also i wish the price would come down to at least 2500 which it will but when...
i had a good laugh at the price of the new flash lol nearly 700 uk haha

T3Heavyshop

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:42 AM »
This may have been a strategic move.  It opens up a huge price gap in the canon line that should be filled.

7D: $1700
next body
5DIII: $3500

Seems odd that canon would have a camera 20+ cameras priced up to $1700, then suddenly double the price before different body is offered.  Something is going to fill that gap.

Drama79

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 04:56:52 AM »
I'm in the UK, and have pre-ordered from B&H. I'm over there April2nd-12th, so here's hoping. Otherwise friends will ship it to me, and I still "save" compared to the crippling UK markup. Not as bad as some Eurozone countries, mind you....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 04:56:52 AM »

Steamy

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2012, 04:57:38 AM »
I agree, that markup to 3K puts the price up there with the 1D now, I have seen the 1D MkIV for less than 3K. Very disappointing, I am not paying 50% more for something for the sake of geography, especially at this price point . Would have stretched to £2500-£2600, but £500 is the log that broke the camels back. Might as well go for the Nikon D800 as I don't have a huge collection of lenses.

Rexepic

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 05:00:03 AM »
You guys in the USA should consider yourselves lucky!!! Here in the UK, the 5DmkIII is retailing for £2999.95 - that's $4780 USD!!!!!!!

I would happily pay $3,500 USD for the 5DmkIII. The US price tag translates into around 2,100 GBP, which is roughly the same as the 5DmkII when first released in the UK.

As usual, the prices over here are ridiculous. For 3,000, I'd rather get a refurbished 1Dmk4.

I get it. I live in GerMONEY (as someone else on the threads here put it). Hell, if you have to spend the money, buy a ticket to NYC for a weekend (cheaper than the price difference) and buy it at BH's store. You'll get a camera and a weekend getaway (with ample shooting opportunities) for the same price!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 05:00:03 AM »