Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 92507 times)

Raddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »
For all those of you complaining about the price tag in the US, shoulda check prices here in GerMoney.
It's 3300 Euros for the body only which would be $4400.
Even if its about 3000 Euros when it hits the streets, that would be ~$4000.
What do they think? Germans/Europeans grow Euros on trees??

$3500 should be €2640 (todays rate) Now that is a total different streetprice. I would consider that price. But in Europe they are greedy and just convert 1:1

I would say 2640 Euros would be somewhat fair as a starting price, compared to the announced price right now in Germany. Actually I'm quite curious what the street price will be as, not considering to pre-order that body to get one from the first batch. Guess I will be waiting a little and see what happens. I do want to upgrade to FF but not neccissarily now. So I will check prices at christmas and get myself a nice present if charge less then. ;-)
5D Mark III (gripped) | 60D (gripped)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Speedlite 430EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »

infamous619

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:05 AM »
Why complain about the price, I mean just ask yourselves do you need the mkiii right now? if so well be prepared to pay the price, and besides its just the 1st day of release, and someone mention on another topic its a supply and demand thing, YES we are demanding the camera, but there is not much of a supply, so canon spikes the prices just give it months you'll probably see deals left and right, and why would you buy it right away? wouldn't you want to get all the bugs cleared out first, that is why i'm going to wait couple months after release, to purchase it,  LETS BE SMART people,

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
Re: Mark III Price turning you off? Considering a different model now?
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2012, 05:11:33 AM »
720p at 60.... sry Canon, I know you gotta protect your large cams, but you just made the decission easy.... I WONT replace my mk II with a III. There's absolutely no point and definately not at that price point.

I'm thankful I bought the FS100, which is a MUCH BETTER camera at just a little more money, and can use my Canon lenses. You could probably even buy a used FS100 now for something like 4.5k or so.

Canon canon canon... fail, you are losing this game, and the C300 is not better.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:56 AM »
This may have been a strategic move.  It opens up a huge price gap in the canon line that should be filled.

7D: $1700
next body
5DIII: $3500

Seems odd that canon would have a camera 20+ cameras priced up to $1700, then suddenly double the price before different body is offered.  Something is going to fill that gap.

Actually, with the features and the price the 5D MK3 should have been named: 3D

Then you introduce a 5D MK3 with 19AF points etc etc for about $2500
That would have made sense sort of...

hoousi

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2012, 05:22:48 AM »
I think the mark3 is awesome in its specs and will prove to be a very nice camera, really a 1dx in a cheaper package, and the pics will be far from bad. As I just got the markII, which seems to be a horrible camera unable to take a decent picture according to many forum members, I don't yet feel the urge to upgrade and rather learn my way around this beauty of a cam and towards end of the year I'll probably be able to choose between the 1dx, 5dIII and probably even a high mp (3?)d if until then all the reviews are out and some bugs corrected and the gadget bug bites me.
But lets face it, we are at the point of diminishing returns, it makes more sense to jump one generation (unless of course you need a new feature, here the AF comes to mind, which I find to be awesome according to specs) if you want to see substantial improvement or upgrade 1 step.

gecko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:34 AM »
Want one......but don't need one, so the price settles it.  Could buy 2x MkII's for this.

No MkIII for me.  :'(

Let's see where the price is in 12-18 months (and how the 2nd price for a MkII is holding up - which, given the MkIII price, might be quite well!) and I might reconsider.
EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Re: IM FED UP OF PEOPLE COMPLANING ABOUT THE 5DIII PRICES.
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:42 AM »
00Q: Yes, I am also fed up with all these complaints.

But it is really rude to shut peoples' mouths. I think this forum is ran on base of democratic rules and it REQUIRES to ALLOW people to speak, no matter what they think. This is the reason YOU also COULD write what you think, although it is somehow arrogant, at least.

Everybody wants it cheap, people had their dreams, now came some dissapointment to some of them. I think we have here some kind of community of people excited with canon gears, technology and photography on the first place. Community has its goals, its hierarchy (formal and informal) and its members. I can't talk for everyone here but I am sure that the goal of this community IS NOT to offend anyone here or make anyone here feel worse, sad or undervaluated. I am here because of members' personal culture and readiness to help quite disinterestly, no matter what the problem is, and what skills represents a person who asks.

I am convinced, people would rather like to read what to do afford 5d3 AND NOT how meaningless they are.

I've read what you wrote. You are fed up with peoples' complaints. Ok. So you are complaining as well...

You were heard and read. Will you listen and read as well?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:28:08 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:42 AM »

smirkypants

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:45 AM »
It seems rather obvious to me that Canon is deliberately trying to adjust upwards the prices of its higher grade equipment. Everything new that's being produced seems to have a price tag that's around 25-35% higher than in the past.

We as consumers have three choices:
1. Pay the higher prices.
2. Sit tight with the equipment that we have.
3. Look at what other companies are offering.

To me it looks like Canon is relying on the fact that people are brand loyal and feel trapped by their investment in Canon lenses. To me it seems like the other guy is being a little more aggressive in their pricing. I don't see a lot of people complaining about the price of the D800; quite the opposite, in fact. I read lots of "how can they offer this much at this price." The 5D3 on the other hand just seems evolutionary rather than revolutionary. They could have combined the best features of the 7D along with the best features of the 5D and been 90% of the way there a couple of years ago.

So yeah, it costs too much. Their lenses cost too much. I think the pricing is arrogant and I hope people choose options 2 & 3 from above to smack Canon around a little.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
Never read such an arrogant statement before. Maybe I just didn't read too many of your posts...
Now, where's that bloody "ignore" button again?!?

This is about the DSLR market, it is about competitors and it is about ones oppinion on whether that price is justified or not. And seeing the D800 and comparing it to the 5dIII one gets the impression the MkIII is slightly overprised. And I think it is fully acceptable for people to actually write what they think.

I'm not too heavily invested in Canon lenses. Therefor I was actually starting to calculate how much it would cost to sell the canon equipment and get similar lenses plus D800 from Nikon. Did you see the price for that grip? I get the feeling Canon wants to rip us off. And to my oppinion it is fully acceptable to draw conclusions and act accordingly.

And if Canon thinks that only Pros should buy their 5series, I guess they will lose a significant market share. I know approx. 10 MkII owners and they're all enthusiasts. Non-Pro.

I was willing to buy a MkIII, the grip and get a new lens with it (17-40) and I even put aside some 4.000 € for that package. Ain't gonna happen...

Martin

Well said. 

Whilst I think that the 5D MkIII is a great camera, I think that Canon is going to have enough of a challenge convincing people that 22MP is enough resolution for them without having to explain why they want £600 more than the D800. 

baloudim

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 05:36:22 AM »
Price in europe is 3999euro http://www.fotokonijnenberg.be/product/1631461/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body.html
It's 5299$ !!!!
are they crazy!

biggles_no1

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »
The, body only, pre-order price in the UK is £2,999 and although the price will drop a bit I just can't afford it. The, body only, mkII price is now £1,500 on amazon.co.uk so it looks like I will be going for the mkII and I will still be able to comfortably afford to get the battery grip too.

Still, in a years time I'll think about it again  ;)

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »
The sad sad thing is that for a large majority of enthusiasts who want to jump up to FF and have an array of EF lenses there is NO CHOICE !! I can't buy 4 year technology with all the issues (c'mon guys, you can't call this a 'low-light camera' - this is exaggerated loyalty- go and push). But as you say 3500! Well, I'll have to wait again several months after the market release, who knows how this thing performs in real life.
I am not considering a different model. The 5D3 is the camera I've been waiting for. The price is probably not the issue, our salaries and income are the issue...
I said the 5D3 is about three quarters of the 1DX but at half the price. Someone remarked very wisely that BOTH are overpriced ! I'll wait and see what the Asian retailers have to offer in 3-4 months. I can accept 3500 USD but I can't accept 4200 AUD!! Especially when the AUD:USD=1:1.08 ! Sick retailers!
Anyway, I'll get it some day, but have to swallow the bitter pill and be convinced that there'll be no price change.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Astro

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »
if your username is 00Q.... shut the fuk up and troll another forum.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:24 AM »
That said, I hope that when the D800 and the 5D3 hit the market Canon will lower the price at least to the D800 level.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:57:14 AM by candyman »

canon rumors FORUM