Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 404

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 93240 times)

ippikiokami

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
I just recently switched from Nikon to Canon.

The reason i switched to Canon was for the glass. In my opinion that will give you the best image quality boost for your buck. I too was waiting for the Mark3 but I am still happy with a Mark2 for $2000.

I dont understand all the complaining on the $3500 price tag. If you don't want to spend it... don't. But don't think that $500 will be left in your pocket after your switch to Nikon. Nikon glass is more expensive so it will cost ya more.
I absolutely would have agreed with you..... until I saw the 24-70 2.8 II
2300 dollars!
After that, I thought for sure the 5DIII would be a reasonable price so as to tempt people with the camera then get them to buy expensive glass later... but no.
Now i'm looking at an extra 1000 dollars to have a Canon 5DIII and a 24-70 instead of an 800 with the same.
The recent trend at Canon is really high priced glass(and now camera bodies too,) and I don't see any sign that this will be changing.

Oh please dont make me explain yet again the difference between msrp and street prices. Wait 3 months and you will find the difference disappear like ice in the Grand Canyon in the summer
I know you know a lot about cameras, gear and whatnot, but I really don't need your help in understanding the difference between MSRP and the actual street price.
I was hoping(and expecting) that this body would fall in at or below the Nikon offering of 3000 dollars. I was looking forward to waiting a few months and buying this at XMas or early next year hopefully for around 2500-2700 or less. At this point I'm thinking at best this camera will be 3100 for XMas, which is just too much for me to consider spending on a camera.
While this camera will obviously be a step up from the 5DII, it is basically exactly what I expected(with maybe a few more AF points), if I would have been absolutely blown away by some specs or something maybe I'd accept the price a little easier. But nothing in this camera is earthshatteringly impressive or unexpected.

Brian, I know you have a truckload of Canon gear and were obviously going to buy this camera whether it was 2200 or 4000 dollars, so why are you in the "hugely disappointed in the price" thread?
Not everyone who is disappointed in the price is clueless or lacks understanding of pricing, exchange rates, or inflation.

The thing is... considering all the information about the inflation... Is it not right to say some peoples' expectations of the price were pretty much unreasonable?

I'm not saying this thing is cheap by any means but I wasn't really surprised at all about the prices after seeing lenses and bodies of both Nikon and Canon "increase" due to the fluctuation in the Yen. Japan has been trying to prop up the dollars for a few years due to this exact issue. All of the Japanese companies that count on exporting have been hurting big time because of it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
And again: Why is this thread pinned, too?

Unnecessary and inappropriate.
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
That's actually not quite correct.  The wheel still physically moves as it does on the Mark II, but now also includes the touch controls for video.  And Thank God for that, I hate touch sensitive scrolling.  It always makes it hard to select things and would be tough to impossible to use with gloves.

Look at 1:18, doesn't look like the wheel is moving to me.  I know it has that lock switch below it, but it doesn't appear to be engaged. 
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Preview by dpreview.com

Then at 1:31 in this video it refers to the wheel as "touch pad"
EOS 5D Mark III Walkaround COOL!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:40:52 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

amarelux

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
Amazon Japan lists the body-only for ¥322,201, so at the current exchange rate this is $3,940, which makes the US price significantly lower than what it sells for in Japan.
5D Mark lll, 24-70L, 70-200L, TC 2X lll, 580EX

XanuFoto

« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
You must not have been shooting for very long.  Remember that the 5D original was the only full frame on the market for a long time?  People were shooting with D200s and D2xs at that time.  Remember than until this past year Nikon didn't even have a 35mm 1.4 prime?  And a couple years ago they didn't have a 24mm 1.4 prime?  Remember that Nikon still doesn't have 1.2 primes at all? 

Once the D700 came out, the market shifted decidedly toward Nikon.  I'll be the first to admit it, from 2008 until now, Nikon has had better bodies than Canon period.  But the 5D3 has evened things out.  It's going to shift back and forth, but don't give me bull about Nikon just being plain old more customer oriented.  That has a really short memory and these companies are much older than that.

I know exactly what you writing about, however at present Nikon has it's 35 and 24 there's unfortunately no 135. I shoot since Canon G3, Nikon D70 than, Nikon D300 and finally C 5d2. You writing about the past, and I have to admit then the past looked different, but competition never sleeps, and the result can bee seen now. The only thing than Nikon missed a while ago was a MP at affordable price. Tell me who will chose a 5d3 if one has no canon lens? Do you really need ISO beyond 6400? Let's see what reviews and tests bring, but imho D800 is better in almost every aspect. It would be really strange if someone makes a decison based only on producer's past achievements. Take a look at present and the future.
Do you really need ISO 6400?? I guess we need it because the D4 has it. See Nikon made a high MP decision. Good for them. I guess they will drive the middle market towards the D4. Maybe tactically its a good move. But i know well known wedding photogs like Lee Morris have publicly stately they woud have love Nikon to come out with a 22-24 MP camera becuase of the nightmare of dealsing with 36MP files. I am pretty sure lots of this technology is in both R&D labs. It the marketing and business divisions decide when and how to release it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:00:06 PM by XanuFoto »

tivoboy

« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Amazon Japan lists the body-only for ¥322,201, so at the current exchange rate this is $3,940, which makes the US price significantly lower than what it sells for in Japan.

various country pricing isn't really all about one country pricing and then exchange rate conversion.  Companies will set an exchange rate level for the YEAR or even SEVERAL YEARS and stick with that.  Current retail pricing and competition are actually much better gauges of what future pricing is going to be than simply Country A pricing and then conversion to other countries based on exchange rate. 

Take a look at things like apple.  International pricing is WAY higher than even the exchange rate would predict and even though USD$ and apple pricing power might get stronger/weaker, pricing doesn't change, it simply stays same or GOES up regardless.

Take a look at european import car pricing in the USA.  Pricing has remained in the same lock-step up over time even though the strength of the dollar over the last 10-12 years has gone down 50%, then UP 100%, and now back down 25% and yet, a mercedes/bmw/audi/ferrari pricing has been simply steadily climbing over that time period.

erfon

« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »
That's actually not quite correct.  The wheel still physically moves as it does on the Mark II, but now also includes the touch controls for video.  And Thank God for that, I hate touch sensitive scrolling.  It always makes it hard to select things and would be tough to impossible to use with gloves.

Look at 1:18, doesn't look like the wheel is moving to me.  I know it has that lock switch below it, but it doesn't appear to be engaged. 

i've read other reviews though that specifically say the wheel now does both.  plus he was controlling video volume levels, exactly what the touch sensitiviy was added for.

but think about this:  if the wheel is purely touch sensitive, why does it have those grippy teeth on it still?  if it was touch only wouldn't you think they'd take those off?  teeth don't make sense when you're using a touch wheel that's supposed to be easy to slide your finger around.

While the rear command wheel turns as normal, making a clicking sound as it does, it also functions as a touch-sensitive d-pad for silent use when shooting video.
- hardware zone's review http://www.hardwarezone.com/tech-news-canon-5d-mark-iii-announced-brand-new-22mp-sensor-and-digic-5-processor
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:34:07 PM by erfon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

tt

« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

i've read other reviews though that specifically say the wheel now does both.  plus he was controlling video volume levels, exactly what the touch sensitiviy was added for.

but think about this:  if the wheel is purely touch sensitive, why does it have those grippy teeth on it still?  if it was touch only wouldn't you think they'd take those off?  teeth don't make sense when you're using a touch wheel that's supposed to be easy to slide your finger around.

While the rear command wheel turns as normal, making a clicking sound as it does, it also functions as a touch-sensitive d-pad for silent use when shooting video.
- hardware zone's review http://www.hardwarezone.com/tech-news-canon-5d-mark-iii-announced-brand-new-22mp-sensor-and-digic-5-processor

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_hd_video_features.htmlp

Silent control with Quick Control Dial – during actual recording:
Both new high-end EOS models have a newly-engineered rear Quick Control Dial. In addition to its conventional rotational operation, a new touch-sensitive technology has been developed. This allows the video shooter to make selections of what he or she would like to adjust – ± exposure compensation, shutter speed or aperture adjustment, manual audio recording level, or ISO setting. And, by just lightly tapping on the left or right side of the inner surface of the Quick Control Dial, its new touch-sensitive capability lets users silently make these adjustments, without the audible "click" of normal dial rotation. Two steps are required: make sure Quick Control Dial/silent operation is active in the video shooting menu, and then during recording, press the "Q" button to call-up the on-screen displays. Tap up or down to select the option to be changed, tap left or right to actually change the setting.

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
Yeah I was a little disappointed in the Mark III price though I think its worth it price and feature wise. Coming from 4 year old XSI, I planned on going full frame for awhile now most like grabbing the Mark II after the price drop. Since its a hobby for me, I still couldn't quite convince myself to spend the 1750+ or so yet. Especially with upgrades to my house and other expenses.

However I really needed the upgrade and while I think the T4i is right around the corner (anyone notice the price drop straight from Canon on the T3i just like the 5D II) I ordered the 60D for only $630 through the CLP program today.. i know it lacks some prosumer features namely the AFMA but it is still a huge upgrade from where I was at.

I figure in a year from now the Mark II might be quite a bit less maybe even the III around Christmas so thats a possibility. I figure I could still get 450-500 for then for the 60D and im only down a couple hundred.

Plus Ive been really interested in doing some video with a 9 month old son ready to crawl/walk.. Otherwise may even considered a 5D classic

Ive heard people on this forum say it best or along these lines: you can always wait for the next best thing but then you miss capturing memories of your best thing :)
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
Plus who knows with Canons new pricing even the new rebel may come in at $1599 or so  ::)
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Plus who knows with Canons new pricing even the new rebel may come in at $1599 or so  ::)
;D Would that include a kit lens???

Drama79

« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2012, 04:46:11 AM »

Silent control with Quick Control Dial – during actual recording:
Both new high-end EOS models have a newly-engineered rear Quick Control Dial. In addition to its conventional rotational operation, a new touch-sensitive technology has been developed. This allows the video shooter to make selections of what he or she would like to adjust – ± exposure compensation, shutter speed or aperture adjustment, manual audio recording level, or ISO setting. And, by just lightly tapping on the left or right side of the inner surface of the Quick Control Dial, its new touch-sensitive capability lets users silently make these adjustments, without the audible "click" of normal dial rotation. Two steps are required: make sure Quick Control Dial/silent operation is active in the video shooting menu, and then during recording, press the "Q" button to call-up the on-screen displays. Tap up or down to select the option to be changed, tap left or right to actually change the setting.
[/quote]

I didn't realise this was how it was going to work when I ordered. This is excellent, excellent news. I can map ISO or audio volume to it. Hooray! Thanks for the share.

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Say what you want but firstly I was disappointed with the priced bur after I saw a sample pics from both 5d3 and d800 I think I made my decision. Being honest, samples from canon looks like from kind of high mpix good compact camera. All look like after in camera pp, but even with ISO 200??? Where is sharpness, it looks like crap for me in 100%. After seeing those photos from Canon site i thought maybe it's only due to jpg, but i realize that some photos presented there where taken from RAWs and developed (animal). For me it looks very very bad. Then I took a look on d800 samples. Have a close look on hair, eyebrows, lashes. It's not only due to resolution guys. Take a honest look and judge. Unfortunately for me the 1 year with canon adventure probably finishes. I ll wait till some professional and unbiased reviews but from what I see know I think my decision has been already made. Please take a close look on all samples, and then enter a discussion. That's a huge disappointed for me, not even the price. I would be happy to hear some professional voices.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:16:36 AM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

rj79in

« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »
Say what you want but firstly I was disappointed with the priced bur after I saw a sample pics from both 5d3 and d800 I think I made my decision. Being honest, samples from canon looks like from kind of high mpix good compact camera. All look like after in camera pp, but even with ISO 200??? Where is sharpness, it looks like crap for me in 100%. After seeing those photos from Canon site i thought maybe it's only due to jpg, but i realize that some photos presented there where taken from RAWs and developed (animal). For me it looks very very bad. Then I took a look on d800 samples. Have a close look on hair, eyebrows, lashes. It's not only due to resolution guys. Take a honest look and judge. Unfortunately for me the 1 year with canon adventure probably finishes. I ll wait till some professional and unbiased reviews but from what I see know I think my decision has been already made. Please take a close look on all samples, and then enter a discussion. That's a huge disappointed for me, not even the price. I would be happy to hear some professional voices.

You see what you want to see.

I've seen this "alleged ISO200" picture on a 50" screen and it appears fine ... unless you are talking of the Bengal Tiger pic shot at ISO3200 with EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM + Extender EF2x III!

Maybe Canon and I have got a faulty pair of eyes ... couldn't say, I get mine tested ASAP! ;-)

rj79in

« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
An Indian Perspective ...

* INR price not announced at product launch
* Pre-ordering not available
* 5D3 expected to hit stores by end of March

5D2 sells around for INR 130K (equivalent to USD 2,680) - the taxes don't help either, so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Have been saving for some time for this and the 24-70L II lens ... Indian prices don't change all that frequently, so it is a BUY ASAP - minus the lens though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »