Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 405

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 89760 times)

briansquibb

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
Perhaps this was mentioned earlier in one of the 24 pages of this thread but it seems to me that Canon is creating some space in their product line by upping the 5Dmk3 price by $1k to $3499 (USD).  They now have room to bump up the 7Dmk2 to a full frame and come in the $2300 range and effectively reduce the entry cost into the full frame world with a current camera while giving a better AF system than the outgoing 5Dmk2.  Canon could do this at minimal development cost by carrying the new 22mp sensor and shutter assembly, down grade the processor to a Digic 5 thus reducing the FPS and possibly ISO slightly to create a "justifiable" difference from a marketing perspective.  Currently the Canon line up is pretty crowded below $1500 point with the 7D/60D/T3i and other Rebels and you can only take a cropped sensor so far.  This scenario seems to be to be right out of Canons recent marketing playbook if you look at this from a business perspective.  I would not be "Hugely Disappointed" in the 5Dmk3 price unless Canon fails to deliver a lower priced full frame camera later this year.

Get rid of the 7D and 60D and replace with a 70D will create that gap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
the 5Dmk2  IS the low priced full frame its here right now

the 7D mk2 will be king of the crops with high FPS dusl digics to satisfy all the sports wildlife shooters that want the reach I really dont think canon will ignore this market, It will have the same AF as the 5dmk3 too and it will cost more and everyone will be sad and unhappy at the price :D

I do think 1 crop body will disappear i'm guessing the xxxxD line and rebels will be the new entry level DSLR with 70D mid way
APS-H Fanboy

ippikiokami

« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
As wisely stated before they will charge what the market will bear and definitely not a penny less. Canon is a business not a fairy godmother.

I know that I am the consumer.
 Many people here would hate to see that I negotiate when buying a car or house.

So if I state "The price is wrong Dick!" Will Bob launch through the air & beat the snot out of me?

Perhaps there should also be the topic -   Hugely satisfied with the price Canon is charging.

I think most people's argument against the initial statement is that... it should be made with some context of what the real life situation is.  If you make a statement like that as the main subject line of your post. You should also be ready to back it up no?

Back it up?
 Likely it is relative to a persons situation, temperament and even education.

Seeing the statement  "I will gladly pay" seems a bit odd.

What does that have anything to do with the fact you should be able to back up your statement?

NaturaLight

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
CR writes "It’s also rumored Canon will regulate the price of this camera starting in May."

That used to be called price fixing, and was illegal...

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:29 AM »
Now that the high ISO samples are available do you think that the price is to high??? i personally don't think so.

evenfy

« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2012, 04:08:21 AM »
CR writes "It’s also rumored Canon will regulate the price of this camera starting in May."

According to Wikipedia, this is resale price maintenance, and as such not directly price fixing.

In the US, it is not directly unlawful, and essentially allowed in most commercial situations.

In the EU, resale price maintenance seems to be "generally prohibited".

Drama79

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »

Which is fine, given the astronomic markup EU vendors are charging. Picking up my camera in the US is saving me £800. That's with NY sales tax. VAT in the UK is 20%, but that's still a healthy bit of extra profit UK vendors will be seeing, and could play with.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:53 AM »

ouch and i thought we got a rough deal down here that is terrible, 800 pounds!

Which is fine, given the astronomic markup EU vendors are charging. Picking up my camera in the US is saving me £800. That's with NY sales tax. VAT in the UK is 20%, but that's still a healthy bit of extra profit UK vendors will be seeing, and could play with.
APS-H Fanboy

bdeutsch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
the 5Dmk2  IS the low priced full frame its here right now

the 7D mk2 will be king of the crops with high FPS dusl digics to satisfy all the sports wildlife shooters that want the reach I really dont think canon will ignore this market, It will have the same AF as the 5dmk3 too and it will cost more and everyone will be sad and unhappy at the price :D

I do think 1 crop body will disappear i'm guessing the xxxxD line and rebels will be the new entry level DSLR with 70D mid way
I agree.  I can't imagine them upgrading the 7d to FF.  It's just going to be top of the line crop camera.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

smirkypants

« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
I agree.  I can't imagine them upgrading the 7d to FF.  It's just going to be top of the line crop camera.
Upgrade. Ugh. Can we stop saying this? To me full frame is almost always a downgrade. There are fewer pixels on target when shooting something at a distance so the image quality is much lower.

hallwal

« Reply #355 on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
I can't imagine them upgrading the 7d to FF.
Upgrade. Ugh. Can we stop saying this? To me full frame is almost always a downgrade. There are fewer pixels on target when shooting something at a distance so the image quality is much lower.
So by your logic, telephoto lenses are amazing quality, normal lenses are average quality, and wide angle lenses must be downright worst quality imaginable.   :o

smirkypants

« Reply #356 on: March 07, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
So by your logic, telephoto lenses are amazing quality, normal lenses are average quality, and wide angle lenses must be downright worst quality imaginable.   :o
No. The new 22MP only has 8.5MP in the same area as the 18MP found on the 7D. Using the same lens, you'll probably get better IQ with a 7D than a 5D3.

briansquibb

« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
No. The new 22MP only has 8.5MP in the same area as the 18MP found on the 7D. Using the same lens, you'll probably get better IQ with a 7D than a 5D3.

Not so - with the same framing the 22mp will always look better than 18mp.

FF shooters are clever enough to have the extra reach lens. So 250mm on a 1.6 would be matched against a 400 on a ff. I know which image will have the best IQ.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #357 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »

smirkypants

« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »
Not so - with the same framing the 22mp will always look better than 18mp.

FF shooters are clever enough to have the extra reach lens. So 250mm on a 1.6 would be matched against a 400 on a ff. I know which image will have the best IQ.
Squibby, please. It's unfair to say "well my FF with a lens that costs $7000 more than your lens does better than your crop."

Put that same 400 on the crop and shoot a subject 100 yards away and we'll see who wins.

I'm curious to see how the 5D3 with a 1.4 extender compares to a 7D without. The extender loses you a stop of light, but that's made up for by the much better ISO performance. The main problem is that you can't put that extender on an f/5.6 lens (or the 100-400mm).

Of course the 5D3 + 1.4 = almost $4000, which is about what I paid for my refurbished 1D4.

ImageZone

« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
 >:(Hugely disappointed in the price?  No, hugely disappointed in the price AND the 5D III.  You are definitely not getting your monies worth.  I have been a Canon user since before the F-1 35mm.  I currently use the 5D and was waiting for the 5D III.  I was terribly disappointed in the specs.  Canon has definitely shot themselves in the foot.  If you want to be emotional about Canon go ahead but, make yourself a Ben Franklin spec comparison list with the 5D III and the Nikon D800.  I'm sad, but I'm thinking of switching my gear to Nikon as Canon has gotten to be a big ProMo with a lot of hype and no meat in the sandwich.  Another thing why is Canon going to control the price?  What happened to free trade?  If I were a dealer, sell me the camera at $XX, suggest a MSRP but don't tell me what I HAVE to sell it at.  Isn't that a violation of free trade?  There goes the competition!  Seems Canon is trying to protect the smaller dealers so that the bigger houses don't beat them on price.  Well, are they or are they just afraid of losing a lot of dealers because there is a lot of competition.  Instead of controlling the price point just sell to ALL dealers at the same price instead of giving quanity discounts.  That would level the playing field.
My two cent worth!
Image Zone Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »