Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 405

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 82956 times)

briansquibb

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

Which would you rahter carry up a mountian? A 300 3=2.8 or a 400 2.8? A little waith makes a hug =e deal!!!!

Up a mountain I would take a wide angle

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:05 AM »

takoman46

« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
Dude, take pictures of something other than toenails in the dark and your will see that their really isn't that much IQ difference. Especially if you actually ever print the pictures, you will see that the gains are to a significant part imaginary.

You don't need to take low light photos to see the difference between the 5DmkII and the 7D.  Even in well exposed shots where I'm blowing flash, the 5DmkII kills the 7D in IQ. The amount of detail dwarfs what the 7D produces.  The 5DmkII FF sensor is just that much better even though it is older tech. You may not think so, but the difference was apparent enough for me to immediately recognize that I was not particularly impressed with the 7D IQ in comparison to my 5DmkII.  I bought the 7D for the 8fps and because I was curious about the 19pt AF.  The gains are not imaginary. If you have a 5DmkII and a 7D then I can agree to disagree that our standards are clearly different and that's fine. But I wouldn't be so bold as to claim that the 7D can hang with the 5DmkII or 1DSmkIII for that matter (being that the latter 2 FF bodies have comparable IQ) in terms of IQ in any given light. That's laughable.

You nake a lto of tlak, but the lack of a crop on the 5d makes it wortheless for real world shooting . SUre now nad manybe the d anod others look better on test charts and brick walls, but ir real life, the 7D kills them with drop and resolution.

Define real world shooting please? Also, I'm not going off of charts and stats... I stated earlier that I have a 7D and a 5DmkII. So based on my experience shooting with both bodies, the 7D is getting sold because it is really not needed now that the 5DmkIII is coming out.  You're living in some kind of fairy tale land where the 7D "kills" the 5DmkII. I dunno if you heard the saying... but "once you go full frame, you can't go back" is true lmao.If you're a nature shooter then maybe you would like a crop sensor for the extra reach. But nature photography is only a small fraction of what is considered real world shooting (i.e. weddings, portraits, landscapes... basically every type of photography that is not shot in controlled studio settings). You can believe whatever you want to believe, I'm not stopping you... but don't make blasphemous claims that are logically and reasonable untrue. That's crazy talk lol :o

takoman46

« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:13 AM »
Is the 7D your god?  :o

Believe what you want in your narrow minded and twisted version of reality. BTW, I pray to my 5DmkII on a little shrine in my living room every night before I go to sleep.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:57:09 AM by takoman46 »

xROELOFx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:07 AM »
@Ardea
wtf is wrong with you?! stop bitching and go outside, take some pictures!
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

takoman46

« Reply #439 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:52 AM »
@Ardea

+1

gabriele

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
Because I want to. When I put the full list I got flamed and accused of being a rich kid
unctionality.

Well you skipped all the other questions and answered in a manner that also you tainted the questions you tried to answer to me.

You didn't tell me what kind of pictures you take when shooting with a 1200mm lens with a flash at f/8 ISO 400, this makes me quite curious.

You don't consider the 52D better in picture quality than the 1Ds3 because you don't want to consider better performance in low light as a pro, ok do as you wish but still you can't say the 1Ds3 performs better because as you  can also see in DxO graphs they're EXACTLY the same at low ISO.

And it hasn't been proven erroneous that the 5D2 gives better performance than the 1Ds3, this because you don't want to consider high ISO. If you don't want to consider something as a pro is your own thing, but it's not objective. If I let you notice the pros of a camera and you don't want to see them is another matter.
If you use long lenses and you don't need high ISO performance I really don't see the point for you to own a FF camera, even worse you say you own 2 FF cameras. The point of FF cameras is mainly using wide angle lenses and have better picture quality especially at high ISO and possibly a better bokeh.
You'd better use just a 7D or a 1D4 and end this since FF seems not suited for your uses.

The only functionality you're supposed to lose (and it's not for sure since as I already said Canon said it's not final) compared to a 1D series with the 5D3 is the f/8 focus, all the other things are gains.
But since you say own more cameras than a camera store I don't think getting another one just to have fun will be a problem for your big fat wallet (of course if what you say is true).
http://flickr.com/gabriele83
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

gabriele

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »

It's funny that hwne you washx clithes what really comes out imn the dryer.

What about writing in english so everybody could understand you?
Canon EOS 5D Mark II + EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM + EF 70-200L f/2.8L IS II USM + EF 85 f/1.8 USM + Samyang 14mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »

te4o

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

It's funny that hwne you washx clithes what really comes out imn the dryer.

What about writing in english so everybody could understand you?

He is using his smartphone and that's what the automatic correction does to it: just like the clothes from the dryer ;D
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

gabriele

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #443 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:14 AM »
And what is that supposed to mean and who is it for?
I just noticed that briansquibb even said that he had a 7D and exchanged it for a 5D2 for picture quality.
While I  agree with this it doesn't still make sense if he says he owns all the other pro bodies (1Ds3 1D4) and he says that for him 5D2 picture quality is inferior to the 1Ds3 (even though we know it's not true and also graphs on DxO show this).

By the way, I'll end up here, there's a saying: "there's no worse deaf than who doesn't want to listen".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:18:48 AM by gabriele »

dbduchene

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
I have only shoot my 7D in low light once and it was VERY LOW light trying to shoot a night water polo match at a HS that did not have many lights. Shooting full day light with nothing but L series lenses I have been very happy with my 7D. In the very first playing with it when I got it I found that it did not look good with anything but my L series lenses. I kind of expected that do to the pixel density. The lower cost lenses just do not resolve well with the many Pixels in the little size.

Anyways here comes the smites I guess as I am again saying that I am happy with both camera as long as I use good glass
5D, 7D, 5D Mk II, Canon EF 28-300 L, 100-400L, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 85 F1.2, 15 MM Fisheye Sigma 50 F1.4, Tamron 17-35 F2.8/4, 28-300 Canon EX 430

briansquibb

« Reply #445 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

I just noticed that briansquibb even said that he had a 7D and exchanged it for a 5D2 for picture quality.

You need to read it again - I already had the 5D2 and bought two 7D because everyone was recommending it. The IQ was poor incomparison to the 5D2 so I sold them and bought a 1D4 - this was in september 2011.  It is so irritating when people misquote me.

@Ardea You are wrong in everything you say. DxO say that the 1Ds3 is better than the 5D2 up to iso400 which is the maximum I use the 1Ds3 for. Why would I use the 1Ds3 in low light when I have a 1D4?

Why should I tell you what I am shooting@1200 with flash? If I choose to use ff that is my choice - it is the way that Canon is going - hence the 5D3 and the 1DX

You say I should use ff for wide angle - well I have been shooting with wide angle all afternoon as I will be on Friday. On Saturday and Wednesday the long lens will be out.

@Ardea + @Gabriele I may do things which you disapprove or disagree with - but that doesn't make me wrong or  you right to flame me because I choose to exercise my right of free choice in how I spend my money

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #446 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
Is the 7D your god?  :o

Believe what you want in your narrow minded and twisted version of reality. BTW, I pray to my 5DmkII on a little shrine in my living room every night before I go to sleep.  ;)

Well see if it gets you anything for Christmas or hannukah or whatever it likes. Maybe Westfallday?

@Ardea

***Complain all you want, but watch your language***

You got ripped off..
@Ardea

It is dark wherei s I am, and will will likely not be very light soond...

Lol Andrea that wasn't who wrote it, it was the Admin.  lol owned

Mr. Fence, how do you have as many smites as posts?
What is truth?

gabriele

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »

You need to read it again - I already had the 5D2 and bought two 7D because everyone was recommending it. The IQ was poor incomparison to the 5D2 so I sold them and bought a 1D4 - this was in september 2011.  It is so irritating when people misquote me.

@Ardea You are wrong in everything you say. DxO say that the 1Ds3 is better than the 5D2 up to iso400 which is the maximum I use the 1Ds3 for. Why would I use the 1Ds3 in low light when I have a 1D4?

Why should I tell you what I am shooting@1200 with flash? If I choose to use ff that is my choice - it is the way that Canon is going - hence the 5D3 and the 1DX

You say I should use ff for wide angle - well I have been shooting with wide angle all afternoon as I will be on Friday. On Saturday and Wednesday the long lens will be out.

@Ardea + @Gabriele I may do things which you disapprove or disagree with - but that doesn't make me wrong or  you right to flame me because I choose to exercise my right of free choice in how I spend my money

Haven't read you saying you sold one 5D2 for 2 7D (you could have tried just one before getting 2 logic says)...by the way today I've been to the Canon official event where they presented 5D3, 1DX and C300.
The Canon representative himself told me that 5D3 is better compared to a 1Ds3.

Why I want to know what do you shoot at 1200mm f/8 ISO 400 with flash? Well because I'm really curious about this combination and really what kind of pictures would you ever want to take with such a setup.
Still today Canon guys told me about the f/8 focus and the way focus works, they preferred to do it this way because an f/8 sensor is bigger than an f/5.6 thus they wouldn't have been able with the actual technology to stuff so many focus points on the sensor.
What kind of pictures would you take with AF at f/8 1200mm BTW? A 600mm is quite a heavy lens so you'd probably use it on a gimbal head, to subject that don't move too much, so there's the chance you could still use manual focus.
In any case they told me that there's still the chance that the central AF point might still work with some selected lenses even if f/8 (but they didn't tell me which ones).
You seem also not clear about what do you want: do you want speed? Do you want quality? Do you want full frame or crop? What kind of pictures do you take mainly?

Also final thing since you seem blind at the graphs on DxO I'll post them here so you can see how 5D2 has better IQ than Ds3 (as also the canon representative said and like lot of people and tests can confirm).

Why would you use the 1Ds3 in low light when you have a 1D4?
This underlines that you haven't understood that FF cameras perform better in low light: a 1Ds3, a 5D2 or 5D3 are surely better than a 1D4 in low light-high ISO situation.

Here your tests where you can see how 1Ds3 is not better than 5D2: as you can see the 1Ds3 has more dynamic range than the 5D2 only at 100ISO, after that the 5D2 beats the 1Ds...beside the fact the difference at 100ISO is really marginal. This is why you shouldn't look only at the final numbers but at the whole graph.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:02:55 PM by gabriele »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »

you do thats why i have a 550d and a 7D, because im a Nikon troll

Your post reads as if you are unhappy with Canon and you would like to be with Nikon - so that would not be unreasonable.

Im because i was expecting a bit more from the 5d, especially if im using a 7d, it would be a small improvement.

oo yes i forgot, it seems that the moire is badass on the 5d compared to the D800 in video, well it seems that the best card the Canon had is not that good anymore:

Moire test of 5dMarkus the 3rd. vs the D800:

D800vs5Dmark2_moire/ISO.mov

thats a test of a 5D mrk2 vs the D800. but whatever....you seem generally confused about alot of things.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

briansquibb

« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

Haven't read you saying you sold one 5D2 for 2 7D

That is because I didn't say that

Why I want to know what do you shoot at 1200mm f/8 ISO 400 with flash? Well because I'm really curious about this combination and really what kind of pictures would you ever want to take with such a setup.

Wild life

Still today Canon guys told me about the f/8 focus and the way focus works, they preferred to do it this way because an f/8 sensor is bigger than an f/5.6 thus they wouldn't have been able with the actual technology to stuff so many focus points on the sensor.
What kind of pictures would you take with AF at f/8 1200mm BTW? A 600mm is quite a heavy lens so you'd probably use it on a gimbal head, to subject that don't move too much, so there's the chance you could still use manual focus

Birds in flight, no chance for manual focus

You seem also not clear about what do you want: do you want speed? Do you want quality? Do you want full frame or crop? What kind of pictures do you take mainly?

Also final thing since you seem blind at the graphs on DxO I'll post them here so you can see how 5D2 has better IQ than Ds3 (as also the canon representative said and like lot of people and tests can confirm).

Well the 1ds3 scores higher than the 5D2 in everything except the high iso. The 1ds3 is a far better camera than the 5D2 in more than IQ

Why would you use the 1Ds3 in low light when you have a 1D4?

I take pictures in low light - but with iso no higher than 400

I also take pictures with the 1D4 in low light with the iso up to 1600 - although sometimes higher if needed for the shot

This underlines that you haven't understood that FF cameras perform better in low light: a 1Ds3, a 5D2 or 5D3 are surely better than a 1D4 in low light-high ISO situation.

Here your tests where you can see how 1Ds3 is not better than 5D2: as you can see the 1Ds3 has more dynamic range than the 5D2 only at 100ISO, after that the 5D2 beats the 1Ds...beside the fact the difference at 100ISO is really marginal. This is why you shouldn't look only at the final numbers but at the whole graph.

I think you are talking rubbish - you clearly dont understand my comments and constantly misquote/ misunderstand/misread what I am saying

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:17:26 PM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »