Poll

What are your plans with regards to purchasing a new camera

I'm buying the Mark III for $3500
181 (44.7%)
I'm keeping my Mark II since the Mark III is priced to high
92 (22.7%)
I'm selling my Mark II and buying a Nikon D800 for $2999
35 (8.6%)
I'm a crop owner (or first time buyer) and now I'm waiting for the Mark II Price drop.
69 (17%)
I'm waiting for the T4i specs before purchasing a 60d, 7d, or t3i.
17 (4.2%)
I'm just going to purchase a T3i, 60d, or 7d and call it a day.
11 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 405

Author Topic: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price  (Read 89497 times)

thure1982

Re: Hugely Disappointed In 5D III Price
« Reply #465 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
I'd love to see a survey of posters on this thread who even qualify for CPS.

Yep - I am platinum CPS

And I'm Silver. No biggie after a couple of years shooting and gathering gear. I will never be platinum because I keep selling my old body's and you need to own 3 to become platinum.

EDIT:
Also... Is this thread still going? Buy one or don't...
Min is ordered and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. I bought it in Sweden from a friend who owns a camera-shop. He gave me the same price he would have to give plus handling-fees.

30 500 Swedish kronor = 4 528.3 U.S. dollars
That is the cheapest you can get it in my country.

SO STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT F*****G $3500
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:41:34 PM by thure1982 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #465 on: March 16, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 17, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
I'd love to see a survey of posters on this thread who even qualify for CPS.

Yep - I am platinum CPS

And I'm Silver. No biggie after a couple of years shooting and gathering gear. I will never be platinum because I keep selling my old body's and you need to own 3 to become platinum.

EDIT:
Also... Is this thread still going? Buy one or don't...
Min is ordered and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. I bought it in Sweden from a friend who owns a camera-shop. He gave me the same price he would have to give plus handling-fees.

Its Ironic How some people say the money doesn't matter because the product is worth it..... Yet at the same time they take measures to find the best price.
 Should not these so called pros or individuals with money to burn purchase directly from canon so that canon will make the maximum profit?

This logic is actually confusing me.  :o
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

piotr.c

« Reply #467 on: March 18, 2012, 04:15:43 AM »

Please visit Poland - it will costs about 13.000 PLN (1 EUR = 4PLN, 23% VAT) where average monthly income is about 2.500PLN (600 EUR) .. so please everybody stop complaining about prices  :P :P :P In Poland you need to work for almost 6 months without eating, drinking & paying for rent if you want to buy 5D3 ...

briansquibb

« Reply #468 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »

Its Ironic How some people say the money doesn't matter because the product is worth it..... Yet at the same time they take measures to find the best price.
 Should not these so called pros or individuals with money to burn purchase directly from canon so that canon will make the maximum profit?

This logic is actually confusing me.  :o

I aim for the best kit but make sure that I get the best deal when buying it - my pension only goes so far ....

I have only bought 2 new cameras new, a 50D and 5D2. Have only bought two new lens as well - 70-300L and the 8-15 . The lens and bodies were for specific projects.

The first 5DIII will start turning up on the used market by the end of 2012 at a price that is cheper than a new D800 at which time I will consider replacing the 1Ds3 - which I bought used to carry me over the time till the 1DX/5DIII became available. The 1Ds3 has proved to be such a good camera that the replacement may be delayed further until the high mps body becomes available.

Here is a picture from yesterday taken with used 1Ds3  and used 600/f4 IS. This was taken on the straight with servo tracking - so the AF is up to it as the kart was coming at me at about 40mph. Why do I mention this? Well the 5DIII AF is going to be at least as good as this as is the IQ - so I could see the 5DIII slotting in instead of the 1Ds3 but in these circumstances I am not so sure what benefits I would gain.

1/500, iso 100, f/4, ec -1

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
It's a bit misleading; the guy said it was "5dMarkus the 3rd," but the name of the video specifies the 5dmark2, as well as the captions in the video itself. Of course, I suppose the mark3 may have the same moire issues, but from what I've read it's supposed to be improved.

The D800 looks way better there, but it doesn't seem fair that they seem to have shot the D800 from much closer in. Maybe if they had shot the D800 from farther out it would have had bad moire too?

you do thats why i have a 550d and a 7D, because im a Nikon troll

Your post reads as if you are unhappy with Canon and you would like to be with Nikon - so that would not be unreasonable.

Im because i was expecting a bit more from the 5d, especially if im using a 7d, it would be a small improvement.

oo yes i forgot, it seems that the moire is badass on the 5d compared to the D800 in video, well it seems that the best card the Canon had is not that good anymore:

Moire test of 5dMarkus the 3rd. vs the D800:

D800vs5Dmark2_moire/ISO.mov

Enthusiast

• Power Shot G16
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »
We should be aware how currency ratios developed in the last 4 years before we are discussing prices:

Since 2008 Euro and Dollar lost 40% against the Yen, that´s a fact and not made by Canon! It´s caused by the financial crisis caused by the western countries and we should say thank you to our own polititions and bankers and not blaming the Japanese companies. For them it´s a burden! It´s hard to sell for a higher price to compensate currency related losses and you never get a full compensation normally.
Nikon is in a bit different position here, because they get their main components from Japan but do the D800 assembly in Thailand. Euro and Dollar only lost 20% against the Bath in the last 4 years.

All the cheap bodies are made in China. Chinas currency is bounded to the Dollar by the Chinese government to keep Chinas competition advantage against the States and Europe. This costs our jobs here and is something should end as early as possible.
I´m working in a globalized business and have to deal with these things all day. I say thank you to Canon that they keep the 5D production in Japan due to quality and innovation reasons and will pay they price they are asking for.
Last Friday I had the chance to take my hands on on and it´s a fantastic gear. Esspecially the silent mode will make photos possible, you needed a Leica before. You will not bother anybody anymore.  My one is preordered and I´m waiting everyday all day long.
S95, 40D, 5D MIII, EOS 3, Rolleiflex 3.5F - Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma: 15 2.8 Fisheye, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 105 2.8 macro, 70-200 2.8, Lensbaby Composer

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
I think the reason for the $3499 price tag is because if Canon had the msrp to match or beat the D800, people who are deciding to get or not to get the 5D III or the 5D MK II might be more tempted to get the 5D III, if it were priced lower. That would slow down alot of the sales of the remaining 5D MK II's. Yes it is still not officially discontinued yet, but will be.  How many people would buy a discontinued product for $2000 with the fear of no new firmware updates, decreasing replacement part supply, probably no new accessories announced?

When the stock of 5D MK II's starts to dwindle then we might see a small decrease in the 5D MK III price, to better compete with the D800.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 22, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
agreed, it seems the AF may be radically better, but the video mode is apparently still only half fixed, the low iso not improved one itty bit and even the high iso might not be as improved as first thought, so why again is it not the old $2700 price if it is mostly just a big AF fix?

for $2700 i might jump now, i woul dhave for $3500 without a thought if they had improved low iso dr, even just a stop, and fully fixed video mode, but since it seems they did not, man $3500 does seem over priced.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 23, 2012, 02:26:15 AM »
As a professional, $500-$700 is a huge price difference----for whom, I don't know. Maybe for professionals who actually aren't professionals. By that I mean talented or not talented photographers who don't pay their rent with their camera work. Fact is, if you are a professional, the price difference is negligible. I'm a full time pro. I'm far from rich. I'm reasonably talented, but not that great. And the last thing I care about as part of my business is the price of a single capture device. If you can't shoot professional studio work with a 5DII, you should look for a new line of work. Now we have the 5D3 with lots of nice improvements. Done. End of story. When you complain about a 4-year, $700 price swing, you are actually making a statement about yourself. The statement is that you are a penny pinching hobbyist who likes to spend inordinate amounts of time on blogs to complain about the minutia of gadget specs. If you're not a professional, that's fine, maybe a 7D or 60D would be a better choice for you. Or just switch to Nikon. Doesn't sound like you have much invested in Canon, anyway. I'd love to see a survey of posters on this thread who even qualify for CPS.

Dear Goo

Your insults are received likely by substantial number of people here. This camera is designed for new professionals and enthusiast or as you eloquently say "penny pinching hobbyist". I am forced to admit your post is the first 1 that has literally turned my stomach - I feel utterly disgusted.

Since you claim to be a working professional (regardless of whether you're "not very good" as you yourself state) I fail to see why someone of your caliber(?)  is taking issue regarding a camera geared for the very people you so disdain and insult.

Mister or misses Goo I certainly hope you read this.

Canon's words not mine.

The EOS 5D Mark III is Canon's answer to hundreds of thousands of advanced amateurs and emerging professionals looking for a compact, high-quality camera system to help them achieve their artistic vision, whether it be through still or video imagery. The EOS 5D Mark III introduction coincides with Canon's 25 th anniversary celebration of the EOS camera system.

Now my opinion

Goo
 You talk out of your butt and thus you are full of crap.

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #474 on: March 23, 2012, 03:30:08 AM »
Well whatever, these things aren't selling as well as to be expected.

I've been watching ebay prices all week and here in the UK, retailers are £2999, UK based importers are around £2650-£2850 and I bought one from Hong Kong yesterday for £2400.

It makes me want to cancel my 1Dx pre order if prices are fluctuating that much.

Even the cheaper uk based ones from Digital Rev are £2699 and not one has sold. In the UK you still can't get the bodies on their own either so demand for them should be higher.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:22:38 AM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

briansquibb

« Reply #475 on: March 23, 2012, 03:56:24 AM »
As a professional, $500-$700 is a huge price difference----for whom, I don't know. Maybe for professionals who actually aren't professionals. By that I mean talented or not talented photographers who don't pay their rent with their camera work. Fact is, if you are a professional, the price difference is negligible. I'm a full time pro. I'm far from rich. I'm reasonably talented, but not that great. And the last thing I care about as part of my business is the price of a single capture device. If you can't shoot professional studio work with a 5DII, you should look for a new line of work. Now we have the 5D3 with lots of nice improvements. Done. End of story. When you complain about a 4-year, $700 price swing, you are actually making a statement about yourself. The statement is that you are a penny pinching hobbyist who likes to spend inordinate amounts of time on blogs to complain about the minutia of gadget specs. If you're not a professional, that's fine, maybe a 7D or 60D would be a better choice for you. Or just switch to Nikon. Doesn't sound like you have much invested in Canon, anyway. I'd love to see a survey of posters on this thread who even qualify for CPS.

I worked for 40years to earn my money, years when I worked day and night and my photography hobby was kept on low heat. Now I am retired I will spend my savings the way I want - how dare you suggest that I should stick to a 7D or a 60D.

A penny pinching hobbyist I might be but I would hazard a guess that I have more kit than the average pro - and I am a platinum CPS.

BillyBean

« Reply #476 on: March 23, 2012, 05:20:14 AM »
I'm amazed at how heated this discussion has got! It is obvious that there are two quite distinct communities out there - those professionals who use their cameras hard, rely on excellent results, and can justify a few hundred dollars or pounds on top of the price for the savings in time and quality they will get - that's fine, it makes sense. And then there are folks like me, who save their pennies, and enjoy their photography, and are somewhat annoyed by the price, when we had expected it to be lower. That's fine too. Room for both opinions.

But don't you think Canon *know* this split? And take advantage of it? What's the best way, apart from having multiple camera lines (which they do to excess at times)? Well, easy - introduce a new camera at a price much higher than you think the larger market will stand. All the 'price is no issue' crew pile in with pre-orders, and when the demand drops off, you drop the price to soak up the remainder and keep the factories busy, based on initial demand levels and unsold stock. Easy. And ruthless. But did you really expect anything different from a large company? Banks don't have a monopoly on greed, you know.

Have a look at this graph, showing 7D introduction price trends, from CamelCamelCamel:

MazV-L

« Reply #477 on: March 24, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »

I worked for 40years to earn my money, years when I worked day and night and my photography hobby was kept on low heat. Now I am retired I will spend my savings the way I want - how dare you suggest that I should stick to a 7D or a 60D.

A penny pinching hobbyist I might be but I would hazard a guess that I have more kit than the average pro - and I am a platinum CPS.

There's appears to be a small percentage of pros that resent hobbyists or those just starting up as pros, resent them their gear, their talent.
 Fortunately most are not like that, actually go out of their way to be helpful, I've found.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #477 on: March 24, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #478 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:38 AM »

There's appears to be a small percentage of pros that resent hobbyists or those just starting up as pros, resent them their gear, their talent.
 Fortunately most are not like that, actually go out of their way to be helpful, I've found.

I have more problem than most as I do a lot of pro bono work which the pros translate as me taking away their jobs. It isn't because if I didn't do the photos the pictures would be Uncle Bob phone specials.

MazV-L

« Reply #479 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
Lol, I've replaced Uncle Bob on quite a few occasions ;D

If a Pro is known for their style, and are very good at what they do, have good people skills are confident and have happy clients who keep coming back and recommend the pro to their friends why should they feel threatened ???

How do the local portrait photographers feel when the travelling photographers drop-in to their local shopping centre with all their props and start taking lots of cute cliche kids/ baby photos for relatively cheap. I'm sure the good ones aren't worried, competition can be good, means one has to do better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #479 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »