December 19, 2014, 08:09:06 AM

Author Topic: 5DIII pre-order thread  (Read 117648 times)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 5DIII pre-order thread
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »
I pre-ordered from a local Canon retailer in Montreal, Camtech Photo. They asked for a $100.00 deposit and said I was the third one on their list, that i would be most likely in the 'first batch'

Hoping that my support of local business will pay off and i won't wait much longer then those who ordered from B&H or Henrys!

What was the price @ Camtech?

It's $3499 pretty much everywhere, Best Buy, Adorama, B&H, my local shop.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »
has anyone heard anywhere if the live view lcd cuts out when you attach an external monitor?
if we don't have clean hdmi, then we better have at least that!
my gh2 from last year has that!

The HDMI is 1080p and remains 1080p while recording, it's only not "clean" in the respect that it still shows the overlays.  I doubt the live view will work at the same time, why would you want to look at that tiny screen if you have it hooked up to a monitor or EVF?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
The HDMI is 1080p and remains 1080p while recording, it's only not "clean" in the respect that it still shows the overlays.  I doubt the live view will work at the same time, why would you want to look at that tiny screen if you have it hooked up to a monitor or EVF?

Because very often on a set you're not the one looking at the external screen. Often the camera operator wants to be looking at an EVF...which a viewfinder attachment can do a decent job of being mounted on the back of the camera body. A separate person--whether they are a focus puller, the director, the talent--will want to view the screen version. HDMI passthrough monitors allow multiple screens just fine as it is, but it would sure be nice to have the on-camera screen running simultaneously.

If Canon can't do this because of processing overhead constraints, OK, but a lot of practical filmmakers have demanded it like they have with many of the other features that were delivered.

Reid_design

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
I pre-ordered from a local Canon retailer in Montreal, Camtech Photo. They asked for a $100.00 deposit and said I was the third one on their list, that i would be most likely in the 'first batch'

Hoping that my support of local business will pay off and i won't wait much longer then those who ordered from B&H or Henrys!

They said 2800 but they weren't 100% on the price yet. They are going to call me on monday and I will let you know then! (they said they would guarantee they would be lower then any of the online shops)
5D Mk III, 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

They said 2800 but they weren't 100% on the price yet. They are going to call me on monday and I will let you know then! (they said they would guarantee they would be lower then any of the online shops)

The official price in Canada is $3799 and this is what I saw at one of the local store in Montreal (Lozeau).  I doubt very much Camtech would be able to sell at any less!...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
With all the hoopla surrounding the 5DIII, who actually put their money where there mouths are and put in a pre-order? Me  :D

My order went in at 12:10 EST at B&H. Hopefully that was fast enough to get one of the first batches.

Maybe if they had a 5D3+24-70 II for a good $500 off the separates price, but $3500 body only is a bit steep to pre-order especially since we don't know if they will fix the black outlines, if the AF really is all that, what the DR really will be at low ISO etc.

h4ldol

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
It says this now on the 5dIII product page on Amazon:

This item is in high demand and we have taken orders up to our initial allocations. We will continue to accept pre-orders and fill them as soon as additional inventory becomes available.

I'm sure Amazon must have one of the largest allocations so if they've already pre-sold all of the initial allotment, they must have sold a whole lot in only a day or two.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »

chito

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
My country is so small that I deal directly with Canon here, I know the manager in charge of cameras..  I'm actually first on the list...

At first I wasn't sure, but then the more I read the more hooked I got :p damn the marketing got to me...

chito

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
Oh, I was told April for availability

Reid_design

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »

The official price in Canada is $3799 and this is what I saw at one of the local store in Montreal (Lozeau).  I doubt very much Camtech would be able to sell at any less!...

So sorry guys.... i seem to be tricking my mind recently i keep saying two thousand... when what i mean is three thousand... $3800 was what they said ..... again my apologies for the typo/mistake
5D Mk III, 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

BigSky MT

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »
Oh, I was told April for availability
I dont know if this means anything, but I found this under the features section on the Canon USA 5d3 page..

"ยง EOS 5D Mark III requires a firmware upgrade to be compatible with the GPS GP-E2, which will be available soon." - link http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#Features

Does anyone think this means the first batch(s) are ready to ship and Canon is just waiting to release them? I would think they would arrive on schedule(end march) if that is true. I have no idea though. Just thought it was an interesting note.

editreject

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:04 AM »
I pre-ordered mine through Best Buy.  I usually deal with B&H but for two reasons I went with Best Buy...1)B&H most likely has a ton of pre-orders so who knows when I would receive it.  2)The price of the Mark III satisfies my Premier Silver status for the year in one fell swoop and it was free shipping too. 

Anyway, I just received an e-mail letting me know that the camera is on backorder and it should ship out within 1-2 weeks.  At the most that would mean I would get it sometime the week of the 19th.  Most likely it is just an automated e-mail for backordered items but what is strange is that it was a pre-order.  I will be interested to see when it is actually delivered. 
Nikon D610, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100s

editreject

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »
...wonder how much a used 5D II selling for???

Dropping fast, especially since it will remain in the Canon lineup at a lower retail price...

I'm going to post it Craiglist NOW...let see how much $$$ I will loose here >:(

I'll keep my 60D as crop body and use it while waiting 5D III to be arrived.

Update: Well guys...within couple hours. I'm no longer 5d II owner. The camera is sold to local buyer - through Craiglist -- Sold for $1945. I gave the new owner all paper works & receipt. We both happy campers.

Wait --- I made $45 dollars profit???  I bought this camera NEW last X-mas for $1900 at BH and now sold it for $1945. :) :) :)

I sold my Mark II last night for $1950!  I bought it at B&H in December for $2K.  I am more than happy that I only lost  $50 overall and I will be putting it toward the Mark III purchase.  While the Mark II more than suited my needs for what I like to shoot, there is nothing like new technology.  I have been a gadget freak all of my life and DSLRs are amazing pieces of technology in my opinion.   
Nikon D610, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100s

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »

Lloyd50

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »
Pre ordered at Keeble and Schuchayt in Palo Alto, sold my 5d mark II within 20 minutes of posting on craigslist.
1DX- 16-35L f2.8 II - 24-70L F2.8  - 70-200L F2.8 II - 50 1.4

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:55 AM »
...wonder how much a used 5D II selling for???

Dropping fast, especially since it will remain in the Canon lineup at a lower retail price...

I'm going to post it Craiglist NOW...let see how much $$$ I will loose here >:(

I'll keep my 60D as crop body and use it while waiting 5D III to be arrived.

Update: Well guys...within couple hours. I'm no longer 5d II owner. The camera is sold to local buyer - through Craiglist -- Sold for $1945. I gave the new owner all paper works & receipt. We both happy campers.

Wait --- I made $45 dollars profit???  I bought this camera NEW last X-mas for $1900 at BH and now sold it for $1945. :) :) :)

I sold my Mark II last night for $1950!  I bought it at B&H in December for $2K.  I am more than happy that I only lost  $50 overall and I will be putting it toward the Mark III purchase.  While the Mark II more than suited my needs for what I like to shoot, there is nothing like new technology.  I have been a gadget freak all of my life and DSLRs are amazing pieces of technology in my opinion.   

+1 , lost $50 overall is still cheaper than rent 5D II for couple months. The reason I got it for less than $1900 because I sold the software bundle that BH included.

Enjoy your 5D III soon ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:55 AM »