October 22, 2014, 11:36:35 AM

Author Topic: 5DIII pre-order thread  (Read 114639 times)

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5DIII pre-order thread
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »
i think in my opinion that iso 6400 will be certainly usable from raw conversion for sure where in the uk did you buy ? im gonna get one too :D

Jacobs. Although I think they said that they only had ten of the kits in yesterday and had already sold six of them before calling me at around 10 am yesterday morning to ask me if I wanted one. They didn't have any bodies only to sell yet. It seems most pre-orders were for body only, so they had kits going spare - lucky for me :) Even more lucky that I didn't already have the 24-105!

It seems that Canon are shipping the kits first. They won't allow dealers to split them. Can anyone think of a reason why Canon should be so keen to sell 24-105 kits? Just leveraging the sales or maybe there's a 24-105 II on the horizon and they want to offload old stock? There again, I think they are also offering kits with the 24-70 II so I guess that hypothesis doesn't really hold water.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2012, 04:47:38 AM »
Pre-ordered the body only from Jessops, online in the UK on Monday 12th. I'm paying with finance - all the finance paperwork came through but no email order confirmation from Jessops themselves. I can see the order on my account online, and when I called to query they said all was fine and not to expect an email until its dispatched! Can anyone share their experience?

Called again this morning to ask about stock, I was told they have a substantial shipment coming on Monday, enough for all their pre-orders, and I should get mine on Tuesday!

Interestingly they have the 24-105 kit as available to buy online/collect in store right now...
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2012, 04:50:21 AM »
I can't see the exif data from your photo but it looks really soft.

On the softness issue, it would be good to know whether the image has been sharpened either in camera and/or in post processing. 'Out of camera jpeg' can mean different things to different people. Doesn't Canon have a reputation for images been slightly soft anyway? Maybe a little sharpening in post production could easily sort this out? I hope so  :-\

gragusha

« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »

Hi spinworkxroy  -
1. How much is did you pay for in Singapore dollars? (with or without the 24-105 kit lens)
2. Where did you buy it from?

Thanks!

The people in Singapore have already gotten their hands on the 5Dmk3 as of yesterday Mar 16. (And most shops have already sold out their first batch last night)
I personally got hold of mine yesterday.

Was using the 60D before and i must say the mk3 is leaps and bounds better. The grip is nice though maybe too big for some small asian hands like mine.. The AF is very fast and accurate, as compared to the mk2.
But ultimately the reason i bought this camera was the ISO capabilities.
Unfortunately it is only really good at JPG. RAW ISO is only useable up to ISO3200 and maybe 6400 is you really have to.
JPG however, on it's default standard setting is highly useable up to 12800. Even at 25600 it's better than RAW at 6400.
I barely got the camera for 24hrs so i'm still exploring all the features, especially all the AI Servo tracking settings, there's just too many to understand in 1 day.

In the meantime, here's just a sample of out of camera JPG taken at F5.6 at ISO12800 of myself (pardon the ugly face)

frisk

« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »
Unfortunately it is only really good at JPG. RAW ISO is only useable up to ISO3200 and maybe 6400 is you really have to.
JPG however, on it's default standard setting is highly useable up to 12800. Even at 25600 it's better than RAW at 6400.

Although this is sort-of off-topic ion the pre-order thread, I just have to comment on this.

Keep in mind that the JPGs are essentally created by processing the exact same data as the RAW files contain - in other words, the JPGs show what you can get out of the RAW files, using processing equivalent to that built into the camera.  If you process the RAW files externally, you may get results that are better or worse the the in-camera JPG, depending on your skill and the processing software.

So, saying that that "RAW ISO is only useable up to ISO3200" is a bit misleading - people that shoot RAW generally don't use them without any processing - if JPGs are usable at ISO 12800, it is equivalent to saying that RAW files at ISO 12800 are usable for the purpose of creating files of the same quality as those "usable" JPGs.

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »

Although this is sort-of off-topic ion the pre-order thread, I just have to comment on this.

Keep in mind that the JPGs are essentally created by processing the exact same data as the RAW files contain - in other words, the JPGs show what you can get out of the RAW files, using processing equivalent to that built into the camera.  If you process the RAW files externally, you may get results that are better or worse the the in-camera JPG, depending on your skill and the processing software.

So, saying that that "RAW ISO is only useable up to ISO3200" is a bit misleading - people that shoot RAW generally don't use them without any processing - if JPGs are usable at ISO 12800, it is equivalent to saying that RAW files at ISO 12800 are usable for the purpose of creating files of the same quality as those "usable" JPGs.

That's what I thought!

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »

Hi spinworkxroy  -
1. How much is did you pay for in Singapore dollars? (with or without the 24-105 kit lens)

Thanks!

Most stores here are selling at SGD4200+ which is lower than the USD3499 launch price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »

gragusha

« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »

Hi spinworkxroy  -

Thanks!

Most stores here are selling at SGD4200+ which is lower than the USD3499 launch price.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:44:06 AM by gragusha »

rporterfield

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but this business of the retailers "not knowing" how many units they are getting in the first batch seems very likely to be BS. It could be that the CS do not know because they are not told, but it is close to certain that others in the retailer's organizations DO know. In any case, I suspect many of the retailers that "do not have the cameras until the 22nd", actually have received the shipments but cannot release them. Again, they know how many they have (unless they cannot count boxes).

Pretty clear that management is just trying to keep pre-order customers from jumping ship. Of course that will not work  in the (somewhat unlikely but possible) event that someone finds one in a brick and mortar store. In fact, I plan to check a couple when I go to the nearby medium sized city late next week. You can be sure I will bring the phone and order number for my pre-order retailer with me and would cancel in a heartbeat if I can get one locally for what would almost certainly be the same price.

I can understand your sentiment, but I am not willing to pay the local sales tax.  It would cost me almost $400 more to buy it locally because of it.
5D Mark III, 24-105

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but this business of the retailers "not knowing" how many units they are getting in the first batch seems very likely to be BS. It could be that the CS do not know because they are not told, but it is close to certain that others in the retailer's organizations DO know. In any case, I suspect many of the retailers that "do not have the cameras until the 22nd", actually have received the shipments but cannot release them. Again, they know how many they have (unless they cannot count boxes).

Pretty clear that management is just trying to keep pre-order customers from jumping ship. Of course that will not work  in the (somewhat unlikely but possible) event that someone finds one in a brick and mortar store. In fact, I plan to check a couple when I go to the nearby medium sized city late next week. You can be sure I will bring the phone and order number for my pre-order retailer with me and would cancel in a heartbeat if I can get one locally for what would almost certainly be the same price.

I can understand your sentiment, but I am not willing to pay the local sales tax.  It would cost me almost $400 more to buy it locally because of it.

+1
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

Mike Ca

« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:46 PM »

I am sure Canon sales representatives are talking to all the major retailers that are taking pre-orders, and trying to decide how to allocate out the first shipments between them. The sales representatives are asking the retailers how many pre-orders they have already. Many people have placed multiple pre-orders with different retailers and will cancel all but one order at the last minute. Each retailer would like to be the first to start shipping, because the first will probably have the fewest canceled pre-orders. Canon probably want to treat all its retailers fairly and not give anyone of them an advantage by delivering them the cameras earlier. They may deliver cameras to retailers early with a date that they can start shipping. They will do that for retailers they trust not to ship before the agreed date.

I'm guessing the big retailers are not giving out information for several reasons. First they don't want everyone who placed a pre-order calling every day to check, especially the people with multiple pre-orders. They also don't want people far down the list canceling their pre-orders.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:02:36 PM by Mike Ca »

NutsAndBolts

« Reply #296 on: March 17, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »

I feel your pain. In my case, I live in Oregon - we have no sales tax!

I called and put my name down on another local store. The sales person said he has more cameras coming in than people on the pre-order list,  and he said he expects the cameras to arrive Monday/Tuesday :)  I am in California and I will consider paying tax to get it sooner.  Well if I do not get a ship notification from amazon and I get the call from the local dealer I do not think I will be able to keep away  :-[

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »

Yes.  It is highly unlikely that Canon has developed any new and magical NR algorithms that are not already available in PP software.   Anything that can be achieved by in-camera jpeg processing can be achieved in post and very likely a better job can still be done in post.  And of course, doing it yourself in post allows personal choice and preference for each shot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »

Janus

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »
to spinworkxroy
is it easy to buy 5dmarkiii in local stores in Singapore or should you pre-order it?

rwmson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Studios
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »
Just received an email from B&H related to my 5DMk3 Body order:

Dear xxxxxxx:

You placed order #xxxxxxxxx on 03/02/12.

One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted on a weekly basis.

We appreciate your patience and patronage. Feel free to contact us with any questions or comments about this order.

Thank you.

B&H Photo-Video
www.BandH.com
 :(
Rebel T1i | G12 | 5D Mk III | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF | Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »