July 25, 2014, 07:36:17 PM

Author Topic: 5DIII pre-order thread  (Read 110838 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: 5DIII pre-order thread
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
B&H has placed 2 charges for $1 on my card today. That ussually means a check to see the card is working.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

Just checked my Adorama Order Status.  It is listed as "Pending".

I cannot recall if it was always that way, or "Backorder" before.   So if someone else can confirm their own Adorama status as being changed, that sounds very promising.
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

PhotoMoose

« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
I also pre-ordered with both B&H and Adorama and got the same scripted response from both when I asked if my camera would go out with the first wave. They would not say. I think that is an acceptable question that deserves an answer. Lets me see, I spent over 30k at B&H this year alone. Not asking for special treatment, but just where on the list I might be. I talked with my local store and they have cameras coming and have no list and that I would be #1! I like my odds with the local shop. THis is one time I'm shopping local and just may become a loyal customer. Sorry B&H and Adorama, but that is called customer service.

dturano

« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
did anyone preorder from abesofmaine?  I checked my status today says "in process" has anyones stated this for some time now?  I know crutchfield and other vendors have stock and are shipping, im hoping its actually in process.

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »
I pre-ordered from B&H on 3/2/2012 at 7:30 AM central. So, I figured I was as anxious as the next guy to get mine. I even payed fifty bucks for overnight shipping. I'm in a situation in which no local dealers within a 90 minute drive will have 5D3.

I guess I'm not "as anxious as the next guy." I just don't get all the bashing of B&H (or Amazon and others, for that matter) here. Like many here, I've relied on B&H's great selection and service for many years to buy high-end video and photo gear. They've always delivered, often exceeding my expectations.

I don't find it insulting, surprising, or discourteous for them to give out no information right now. First, and most likely, there may be no information to give. They can't say this, since people here would just assume they are lying, apparently. Even if they were expecting a shipment from Canon today or tomorrow that would allow them to fill every pre-order, they would be foolish businesspeople to tell that to anyone, since it is something outside of their control. If you want to get a bad business reputation then start setting expectations and making promises on something you do not control. Second, even if they have units in stock and ready to ship, Canon appears to have placed embargoes on the release of these. Either smaller dealers don't have those same rules or are breaking the rules. Ask yourself this: Is it likely that a dealer who doesn't play by Canon's rules will continue to pull the wool over Canon's eyes? Authorized dealerships require authorization. That's not a good long term strategy for the dealer and not a good long term strategy for someone wanting to depend on a solid dealer.

As yet, B&H has broken no promises. Will I be disappointed if my 5D3 isn't shipped in the first batch? Yes. Will I hold this against B&H? Probably, in the sense that I will question their ability to get stock on high-demand units in the future. Should I do that now, before anything has shipped from larger retailers (e.g., Best Buy, Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc.)? No. B&H has at least earned my "benefit of the doubt."

We're talking days (actually, we're probably into hours, now) until these units ship or not. I'm anxious and excited, too. Let's just not blow this out of proportion and smear some good businesses over nothing.

And, if you're still reading, I agree with those who are cautioning others about the "no sales tax" issue. In Illinois, the law requires you to pay Illinois sales tax on any item bought online and shipped to Illinois. To not report and pay the taxes is, indeed, gambling with the law, and is unethical. That the state may be corrupt and misspending the tax dollars it receives isn't an excuse, as two wrongs don't make a right.

Seamus

« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
Ah, the voice of reason.... Nice post JasoanATL. I agree, at this point it is probably hours, not days. Although it is easy to jump on the bashing wagon, I will refrain. I feel extremely fortunate just to be able to purchase this camera at all. So for now I will count myself fortunate and continue to check my status every 5 minutes until my fingers bleed....

Drama79

« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
excellent points, made far more eloquently than my stumblings earlier on. Canon originally said the 22nd, and monday the 26th is now a mentioned date. I would expect to have heard shipping from the big dealers by tuesday. After that and then maybe we have the right to get antsy...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 20, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »
B&H just charged me in full for my 5dIII kit.   :D Which means I have to pay  :'( But I get my 5DIII ;D

I have 2 day shipping, so maybe, just maybe, they will ship so I receive on the 22nd. Apple is famous for that.

takoman46

« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
B&H just charged me in full for my 5dIII kit.   :D Which means I have to pay  :'( But I get my 5DIII ;D

I have 2 day shipping, so maybe, just maybe, they will ship so I receive on the 22nd. Apple is famous for that.

what time did you place your order?

Nice! congrats! I'm jealous... >:( lol

Seamus

« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »

Congrats TexPhoto!!! I hope I see a charge soon, too!

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #400 on: March 20, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »

Just checked my Adorama Order Status.  It is listed as "Pending".

I cannot recall if it was always that way, or "Backorder" before.

Looking through Adorama's Order Status Key, there is a "BackOrder" status. 

So a change to "Pending" - ready to start the happy dance! Maybe,  I hope... Damn, no music yet.

I am a 12:41 am 03/02 preorder for reference.

** Congrats TexPhoto!   Maybe the clouds are lifting for all of us!

edit - I may be premature on the status change - others have suggested "pending" has been set for a good while.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:24:38 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

ebrakus

« Reply #401 on: March 20, 2012, 07:19:54 PM »
Now that I have my unit, the blood fever has cooled  :D

Lets be fair to B & H.   They dont have the inventory on and and dont really have the answers yet.

It would be easy for them to make something up to appease everyone today, forestall the cancellations and then hope for the best.   Maybe its a mark of integrity that they would rather loose a customer than lie to a customer..

My "Lesson Learned" about B & H was in assuming the larger guys would have best inventory on a hot new product.   It just didn't work out that way.    I have no issue with their customer service or overall organization.

cheers
-E

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
just cancelled my B and H order, they are a day late.
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #402 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »

se7en

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
In regards to being required to pay state tax when an internet purchase is made where tax isn't deducted. While technically a state law here in California, there is simply no method put in place or system devised to facilitate that tax or payment process. In other words, if I were to put my %7.5 away for the $4299 I just spent, I would have no where to write that check(the state franchise board wouldn't take it with an attached note), no form to fill out and literally nobody to contact. Therefore they are in no position to enforce. If the guilt was just tearing you up inside you could subtract that %7.5 from the total amount you were attempting to deduct as taxable income, but it would likely go unnoticed and further complicate the situation. I'm sure each state varies, but always talk to your tax advisor :)

se7en

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
just cancelled my B and H order, they are a day late.

Sweet, likely a +1 for me :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »