October 24, 2014, 09:26:06 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark III by Jeff Ascough  (Read 9629 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark III by Jeff Ascough
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
All his pictures are also Photoshopped into oblivion.

Of course his work is Photoshopped. Look at ANY award-winning images from landscape/wedding/portrait photographers and you'll see years of experienced post-production skills in play. What do you think, fine art just pops out of the camera - and if it doesn't the camera sucks? The job of the camera is to give us all the clean and usable data it can so we can create the photos we imagine. Not make them for us. Sheesh!

Actually you CAN get "award-winning" images straight out of the camera. Remember film?

If you know what you're doing you can get spectacular images right out of the camera. Make the camera and light do most of the work 1st for you. Then some touch up and resizing in post ;)

Lots of work dodgeing , burning, cropping, in the darkroom.  Its just easier and faster with digital.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »

GL

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »
All his pictures are also Photoshopped into oblivion.

Of course his work is Photoshopped. Look at ANY award-winning images from landscape/wedding/portrait photographers and you'll see years of experienced post-production skills in play. What do you think, fine art just pops out of the camera - and if it doesn't the camera sucks? The job of the camera is to give us all the clean and usable data it can so we can create the photos we imagine. Not make them for us. Sheesh!

Actually you CAN get "award-winning" images straight out of the camera. Remember film?

If you know what you're doing you can get spectacular images right out of the camera. Make the camera and light do most of the work 1st for you. Then some touch up and resizing in post ;)

Lots of work dodgeing , burning, cropping, in the darkroom.  Its just easier and faster with digital.

Bullseye! I don't do with Lightroom much more than could be done by a skilled darkroom operator. And yes, of course you can get award-winning shots straight from the camera, but a fine art photographer like Jeff has a signature PP style that's unique, and adds spice to the brilliant images he captures. You can't 'fake' the decisive moment, but you can show it in a much better light!

SPG

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
In what seems like a previous lifetime, I worked as a staff photographer and photo editor for a magazine. It was an endless battle with prepress to get the images to look more like what the photographers shot than what the printers thought they should look like.
Fine art may be one thing, where endless tweaking in either the darkroom or photoshop has always been part of the process, but news, sports, and a lot of other photography lives and dies by getting good images right out of the camera. One of the great things about shooting slide film was the speed of the edit...it either was or wasn't good.

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
I'm not sure where all the anger is coming from. Jeff is a booster for the brand and a well established and successful photographer (that is why Canon picked him). He takes great images and makes them even better with PP. Maybe all the complainers need to do a little research into what many of the very best film photographers did in the darkroom or had other do for them to achieve the magnificent work that is in galleries today.
I think he genuinely likes (loves) his equipment and is will to say so. That is valuable to Canon and to those that admire his approach to photography. No more and no less.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
I'm not sure where all the anger is coming from. Jeff is a booster for the brand and a well established and successful photographer (that is why Canon picked him). He takes great images and makes them even better with PP. Maybe all the complainers need to do a little research into what many of the very best film photographers did in the darkroom or had other do for them to achieve the magnificent work that is in galleries today.
I think he genuinely likes (loves) his equipment and is will to say so. That is valuable to Canon and to those that admire his approach to photography. No more and no less.

There are always snarky comments by those starving for attention, and there are critical comments that are serious as well.  You can always tell if its a serious comment, they give at least a reason why they dislike the article rather than dismissing it because of their award winning portfolio that no one has seen.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
I really like alot of his compositions, and attention to the natural lighting
however I cant stand his processing i think there are some great images there that are just ruined
maybe its just viewing at low res on a screen. I dunno what do others think? i know lots say he is this guru but it's pretty subjective.

My thoughts:
too much overuse of vignette,
black levels seem to be pulled up too high for my taste alot of the time killing detail
too much added grain
too much black and white

i guess his "style" is going for that vintage look and I am sure that is "the look" that people who hire him want
so in that context I am sure he has many many happy clients. I just feel that looking at the shots I want to take the filter away so I can see the shot properly.

I prefer clean, sharp, vibrant detail with nice colour and the odd black and white for effect

I dont pretend to be better (I doubt I am and i'm certainly not as experienced as him) just saying his style doesnt float my boat :)
APS-H Fanboy

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »
too much overuse of vignette,
black levels seem to be pulled up too high for my taste alot of the time killing detail
too much added grain
too much black and white

I think he does use vignette, high black levels, grain... to create what works for him and his customers as a certain distinctive style. I do like the mood he creates but would not solely use that "vintage" look for all my work. I love B&W and never tire of its many opportunities.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »

tt

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
You've also got the issue of seeing the picture on a screen vs printed in one of his albums.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »