October 01, 2014, 06:50:31 AM

Author Topic: Videographers happy with 5D Mark III?  (Read 9808 times)

Chad

Videographers happy with 5D Mark III?
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
Hey everyone, i'm interested in a DSLR for shooting video. I've been waiting for the 5D announcement to decide which camera to get. I have no experience with these, and i'm just wondering if it looks like it will have all the improvements that videographers were hoping for in the Mark III.

Do you think it's the best camera to get in that price range to shoot video?

I've thought about the Canon XF300 with 50mbps bit rate, and 4:2:2 color. Three 1/3" images sensors (small!) 

I wonder if it'd be better off making a 5D Mark III rig?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Videographers happy with 5D Mark III?
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Videographers happy with 5D Mark III?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
Need to see actual footage before I make any personal opinions about it being the ultimate HDSLR for video, but the specs look great.

Headphone jack is a huge plus.

If the moire and aliasing are reduced to the point of not ruining a shot, then I can see a lot of 5D Mark ll owners jumping ship.

I'm personally more interested in what improvements Canon will be making with the next generation of crop sensor HDSLR's in regards to video.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:34:25 AM by BRNexus6 »

Drama79

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:34:17 AM »
It's tricky. My honest feel on it is this:

For those who only use it for video, there are probably similar specs or better at similar prices, maybe a little cheaper. It's not that competitive.

For those that just shoot photo, similar issue.

For those that do BOTH however, it's a big step forward, and worth the upgrade. I do both, so have gone for it.

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »
My only gripe is that the 5D Mark lll doesn't have a swivel LCD. I guess Canon figures people using it for video will be using external monitors with this camera.

Grum

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:39 AM »
No uncompressed HDMI output an issue?

Chad

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:52:52 AM »
Is it true that Canon is working on a Cinema DSLR that shoots 4k video? If so, i may hold out for that, assuming it's less expensive than the C300 that came out recently.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
I am very much looking forward to seeing some head to head video reviews between the 5D3 and D800. The less stuff I have to carry when I travel the better, and this will be a determining factor for me.

I do like the 5D3 and think some of its specs are great, but the video capabilities are crucial.

At least they finally added a headphone jack and visual audio monitoring.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »
Is it true that Canon is working on a Cinema DSLR that shoots 4k video? If so, i may hold out for that, assuming it's less expensive than the C300 that came out recently.

Yes it's true I'm kinda holding out for that one also.
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 70-300L ,24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

Kristo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
I have to wait and see real tests and then say opinion. But I wanted clean HDMI. The problem with more aliasing was serious and it is good they fixed it but we have to test for how is the sharpness because of this.

tjc320

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »

Yea, they claimed to have been working on one.

The 5D Mark III looks like an impressive photography camera. It looks like the video will be greatly improved. Obviously we'll have to wait a bit to see what the image will look like but I'm sure it's good. That being said, I doubt I'll upgrade. If I'm honest with myself my Mark II is just fine for now. It may have been worth trading it in if the 5D was cheaper but it's not.

If their next Cinema DSLR is anything like what I hope it will be it will be pretty sweet. 4K, SDI out, mounting points, maybe even XLR inputs? I'm hoping for a mini C300 really. It will likely be missing some big features of the C300 in order to keep it worth its price. Again, that's just what I'm hoping for. A man can dream can't he? I don't think I'm too crazy though, if it's a DSLR made for cinema they will eliminate most photography features and replace them with cinema features.

Either way, I'll be holding out to see what Canon has up their sleeve videowise. If my clients are still gushing about how great the 5D Mark II looks then I suppose I should be happy with it.

Honestly, with no clean HDMI the D800 looks almost like a better option. If I remember correctly I think it had clean HDMI out. I would never switch, though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:07:45 AM by tjc320 »

thewallbanger

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »
The big upgrade in this 5D iteration is the new auto-focus abilities.  But with video, you take that out of the equation.  If I was satisfied with my current lens and audio set up, I might spring for the mkIII.  But for now, as a current 7D shooter, a 5DmkII plus a 70-200 2.8 IS are sounding pretty attractive right now.
5D Mark III   |  11-16  |  35L  |  24-70L  |  85 f1.8  |  70-200 f4 IS

sloeb

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

only if you demand the best quality possible. the option should have been there regadless even if you don't use it for a 3500 dollar camera. the lack of 1080p60 is also a big issue. likely the cpu is too slow to keep up.

Drama79

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

only if you demand the best quality possible. the option should have been there regadless even if you don't use it for a 3500 dollar camera. the lack of 1080p60 is also a big issue. likely the cpu is too slow to keep up.

This. If you really need 1080p HDMI out, rather than "just" 720, you clearly have eyes like the terminator, and a helluva output monitor.

The lack of 60p 1080 is a bit depressing, but justifiable in the Canon scheme - you want more video options, for now, go the C range. The C300, or the lower spec (C100?) due later this year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

Brian Daniel Hansen

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
As a videographer - who also dabbles in photography - I am greatly impressed with the new specs of the 5Diii. Definitely Canon's attempt to hold the exact market that I work in. Not the BEST video or photo specs - but damn good ones at that. The price point is slightly higher now than I anticipate it will settle at. Canon's boosting the initial price to get all us camera nerds who satisfy our dopamine addictions through the purchase of new camera gadgets.

Though there are a few minor video complaints such as: no clean hdmi out, no 1080@60fps, and no RAW video, overall this is still a major step forward for Canon. Clean hdmi out (though awesome) I really don't think is necessary in a hybrid camera at this point (but a tip of the hat to the Nikon D800 for achieving this). In a camera at a little less than 1/4 of the price of the C300 I also understand why they won't - even if they could- put in 1080@60fps (something the C300 can't do). Would make the C300 look bad ;) Though I wish it if this camera did RAW video it would render the C300 moot to many videographers.

Improvements in moire and aliasing will be a major plus. For most people shooting video on their own 5Dii, I think they might as well stick to that camera - remember there is a potential 4K DSLR around the corner ;) - unless 720@60fps is a necessity to you. The other video improvements - though pretty great - wouldn't be enough for me justifying a jump to the 5Diii (at least at its initial price point).

However those in the same group as me (either having been renting the 5Dii or owning/shooting on Canon's APS-Camera's like the 7D, T2i, etc.) this camera is probably right up your alley. Usually I rent full frames for particular paid gigs but in this case I will be purchasing and holding onto the body for a long time.

There will always be something we WISH a camera had but if we're WISHING it... It doesn't. Get out and shoot with what we have and we'll all become better videographer/photographers.

tasteofjace

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
Full Frame Body shooting 60FPS @ 720? Yes please  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »