October 02, 2014, 12:24:10 AM

Author Topic: Is 5dmkiii a good investment in the long run?  (Read 4384 times)

lexonio

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Is 5dmkiii a good investment in the long run?
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I've been positively stunned by the great high-ISO performance of the new 5d after reading the review by Jeff Ascough - http://blog.jeffascough.com/photographers/2012/03/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review.html

The price seems a bit high, that's true, but I just want your opinion - I'm switching to FF from 550D, I currently have 24-105mm f/4, and 50mm f/1.4 by... some other brand :) For 3500 I could either get 5dmkIII or mkII + 70-200mm  f/4.
But the main problem is that f/4 is a little bit slow when paired with mkII, and its high ISO performance is disappointing, so I won't be able to use these lenses (70-200 f/4 and 24-105) in low-light conditions.

So the question is, isn't it better to grab the much more costly mkIII while saving quite a good amount of money on lenses? I know ISO does not equal aperture, but I mostly do photojournalism so I don't care much about bokeh and DoF. Any opinions are appreciated, thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

Is 5dmkiii a good investment in the long run?
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »

ed24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Is 5dmkiii a good investment in the long run?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
I've been positively stunned by the great high-ISO performance of the new 5d after reading the review by Jeff Ascough - http://blog.jeffascough.com/photographers/2012/03/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review.html

The price seems a bit high, that's true, but I just want your opinion - I'm switching to FF from 550D, I currently have 24-105mm f/4, and 50mm f/1.4 by... some other brand :) For 3500 I could either get 5dmkIII or mkII + 70-200mm  f/4.
But the main problem is that f/4 is a little bit slow when paired with mkII, and its high ISO performance is disappointing, so I won't be able to use these lenses (70-200 f/4 and 24-105) in low-light conditions.

So the question is, isn't it better to grab the much more costly mkIII while saving quite a good amount of money on lenses? I know ISO does not equal aperture, but I mostly do photojournalism so I don't care much about bokeh and DoF. Any opinions are appreciated, thank you.

I'm thinking about the same issues. At present I can't afford the 5D MK3 + the 24-70 and to be honest I don't think I really need it. I shoot video 70% of the time and to be honest I think F4 coupled with the improved ISO will work perfectly for me on a day to day basis. When we're shooting commercials we will always hire lenses in anyway.

Also, shooting video at 2.8 can be a bit of pain as the depth is so shallow. Either way for most of my work the 24-105 will work perfectly. I think £3600 for that kit is a bit pricey but still fair and justified. One thing I can't seem to find out is when it will be available in the UK?

I know you're talking about photography but I think our paths cross slightly on this so I thought I'd give my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:30:28 AM by ed24 »

epiem

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
Given the initial pricing...I would honestly just *wait*

See where things go.

If you are in desperate need, then I would probably pick up the mII and the 70-200.

But by waiting, you can:
1) See if there is a price drop
2) Save more money and get a mII and 70-200 2.8L II(which is an AMAZING lens)

We have several 5DmII's and they are fantastic cameras. As of now, we will NOT be upgrading to mIII's. The pricing for what you get is just not quite right.

Perhaps you might even consider selling off your equipment now and grab a Nikon D800. You are only in two lenses deep and could probably sell them for a decent price to offset the Nikon switch.

We have bounced from Nikon to Canon and Canon to Nikon several times and the "loss" is very minimal if any at all.
Just gotta be patient and list your stuff in the right places to get top dollar!

Good luck

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:59:02 AM »
One thing I can't seem to find out is when it will be available in the UK?

According to Warehouse Express and Park Cameras, it's the end of this month.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

lexonio

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
Bah, the problem is we're planning a family trip to Europe since the 15th of April till the beginning of May, nad it would've been awesome to have a FF camera by that time. I think I'll wait and see how the price settles down, and maybe I'll have to go to the vacation with my old trusty 550D.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
A new camera body should never be seen as a investment.  It will always drop in price as time goes on.  A investment is something you buy with the expectation that its value will increase.

capertillar

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »
unless you're generating income from its use...  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
A new camera body should never be seen as a investment.  It will always drop in price as time goes on.  A investment is something you buy with the expectation that its value will increase.

I don't think he is looking at it like a financial investment as in the body going up in value.  I think he's looking at the additional high ISO capabilities making f/4 lenses an acceptable speed (since DOF doesn't matter to him) where they would normally not be.  An extra $1k on a body is less in the long run than getting all your lenses one stop faster.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
I'd get a full frame camera now and enjoy it. Sell it after the trip.

Bah, the problem is we're planning a family trip to Europe since the 15th of April till the beginning of May, nad it would've been awesome to have a FF camera by that time. I think I'll wait and see how the price settles down, and maybe I'll have to go to the vacation with my old trusty 550D.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »

I don't think he is looking at it like a financial investment as in the body going up in value.  I think he's looking at the additional high ISO capabilities making f/4 lenses an acceptable speed (since DOF doesn't matter to him) where they would normally not be.  An extra $1k on a body is less in the long run than getting all your lenses one stop faster.

+1  Lexonio, lenses will hold their value much longer (and may even increase), so a faster lens is, as other have mentioned, a much wiser investment.  Lots of people will probably start selling the 5D Mark II bodies now, so you could get one for a good price.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
have you thought about getting a 5dmkII and a used 70-200 2.8?

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I agree. Looking ad Dpreview.com's high ISO samples it looks like you could comfortably walk around shooting at 6400. Or shoot at 3200 just because you can. Performance looks great. f2.8 lenses are a little iffy on my 7D because of ISO performance but this thing looks to solve that problem. I say it'll have a long life span.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »

+1  Lexonio, lenses will hold their value much longer (and may even increase), so a faster lens is, as other have mentioned, a much wiser investment.  Lots of people will probably start selling the 5D Mark II bodies now, so you could get one for a good price.

I would second the thought that lenses will last you longer in the long term, but the 5d3 is looking to be a very fine camera indeed... Your current lenses would suit this camera just fine, but only you can determine if it's worth it to your bottom line
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »

mjp

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
It's probably going to be a fantastic tool that will help get you amazing photographs. It is a good investment in technology, as there are improvements from the 5DMkII. That said, the 5DMkII is still a fantastic camera that produces amazing results as well. Personally, I would go with the 5DII and pick up an 'L' lens to go with it - you'll not be disappointed. I prefer the 70-200f2.8 which, if too costly, you might want to consider the 135mm f2.0 L - which is an excellent lens; or another prime lens like the 35mm L. Cheers.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
No expendable item is ever considered an "investment".
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »