April 21, 2014, 10:58:45 AM

Author Topic: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?  (Read 16809 times)

alipaulphotography

Re: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
So how does canon expect us to focus our 50 & 85mm f/1.2 & f/1.4's when shooting wide open? Rely on the autofocus and hope that it focus' on the eye?

All those autofocus points feel wasted by not allowing something simple like an interchangeable brighter screen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
Can you make the grid any finer... ala make it more dense?

Do you by chance have any idea 1) whether there are any more "grid" options while in Live View and are shooting stills?  And 2) whether the grids stay on the screen when you zoom in 5x or 10x?  On the MKII, the grid would always go away when you zoom the Live View.

No idea for the 5DIII.  On the 7D, there's only one grid type in the VF, but there are two choices for Live View.

Do you know on the 7D whether the grid disappears from LiveView while you zoom in 5x or 10x (to check focus)?

Zooming with live view does not show the grid.

rmhowie

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
Does Canon offer to change the focussing screen in the 7D for a price? Do you they might offer this service for the 5D Mark III?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
Does Canon offer to change the focussing screen in the 7D for a price? Do you they might offer this service for the 5D Mark III?

No, they do not.  3rd party vendors offer the service for the 7D, and likely will for the 5DIII as well.  Not sure if having that done affects the warranty.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »

No, they do not.  3rd party vendors offer the service for the 7D, and likely will for the 5DIII as well.  Not sure if having that done affects the warranty.
I'm sure it would void the warranty (unless you put the original screen back in before sending it to them, and whatever fault you were getting repaired wasn't caused by the 3rd-party screen).

But my 7D is out of warranty, the new Credit Card has arrived, Katz-Eye is about to be ordered (although after that 5D3-bomb, maybe I should be putting money towards one of them instead...)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

te4o

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
OK, we have to swallow this bit too, sad. I want the 5D3 but have to find a MF solution first:
AFAIK a MF screen changes metering. On the 5D2 there are three CFn options to match this. The 7D doesn't offer interchangeable by user Fs. How does it manage to adjust metering? Is there a C-Fn for this too? Please explain!

1. Has someone changed the FS on his own 7D himself as per instructions from focusingscreens.com? It looks easy on their website. Is the focusingscreens.com good enough for MF? Does it change the metering and can this be compensated in camera presets.
2. Has the Katzeye a self installing option too? Easy? Advantages towards focusingscreens.com ?
3. Same with brightscreens? DIY ?
And if I Change the FS on the 5D3 and there is no C-Fn metering option, is there a workaround?

As a small hope - probably the AF confirmation points will do the job most of the time and for the rest there is LifeView. Is there a LCD screen loupe for a 3.2" screen from Houdeman or Zacuto? Instead of changing FSs Might go for this?
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 02:30:47 AM »
2. Has the Katzeye a self installing option too? Easy? Advantages towards focusingscreens.com ?

I can answer in a few weeks, if you don't mind the wait.
Katzeye say:
"However, the Canon 7D focusing screen is not designed to be user changeable and the procedure is only recommended to be performed by a professional camera technician. No tools or technical support for installation issues will be provided. An installation guide is available for download here, but this should not be construed as endorsement of customer-installation of the screen — this guide is intended for professional use only!"

In short, you can do it yourself, but don't whinge to us or blame us (or ask for repair money) if you cock it up. I'm an electronic engineer with experience in service and repair, so I'm confident I can do it without breaking too much. But if you're not me, you value your camera more, or trust yourself less, and can do without your camera for a few weeks, send it to them (or buy it and get a local camera-techie to do it).

ps, it's http://www.focusingscreen.com/, i'd never heard of them before but i'm checking them out now, they look to be cheaper and have a lot more to choose from, horizontal/vertical/diagonal/double split prisms, with or without microprisms. They also seem to have a few of each in stock, KatzEye is made-to-order so they're running a few weeks behind. They don't have an equivalent of KatzEye's OptiBrite  though, i've got lenses down to f/5.6 (or worse with teleconverters) so the Optibrite will probably be fairly useful for me...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 02:30:47 AM »

te4o

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »

I can answer in a few weeks, if you don't mind the wait.

I don't mind at all, Dr. I am not an electronic engineer unfortunately and I'll be afraid to screw on a new 3500+ body... I'm glad you try first.
As usual, time will tell. From the fredmiranda discussion on this topic it seems that AF confirmation won't cut it even with the best AF in the world - that's because of some averaging of active Af points. Anyway, it's a long time to go until I get a 5D3. Thanks for your reply!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
The bigger 100% viewfinder, just like the 1 series is going to help.  Otherwise, you might want a 1 series, Canon seems to have left a lot of little things out of the 5D MK III, but its half the price.

nighstar

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
bad news.....

from Q&A with Chuck Westfall (Canon Technical Advisor) at: http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/03/questions-answered-for-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-hdmi-video/

Q: There is an issue here that has not been mentioned in the previews I have seen so far.
The specifications on Canon’s website tell that 5d3 has a fixed focusing screen, like 7d, while 5d2 has an interchangeable one. How is this fixed screen compared to the standard screen and the Eg-S screen for 5d2? Does this fixed screen on 5d3 show precise focus regarding to depth of field on higher apertures than f:2.8?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III’s focusing screen has about the same overall brightness and depth-of-field characteristics as the EOS 5D Mark II‘s Eg-A standard focusing screen. This is a brighter screen than the Eg-S with most lenses, but it does not depict depth of field accurately for apertures wider than about f/4. Manual focusing accuracy using the optical viewfinder is about the same, lens for lens, on the 5D Mark III as it is on the 5D Mark II with an Eg-A focusing screen.

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
My 60d has 3 options in the custom functions for selecting what focuys sceen I have installed. And the manual says if i change the focus screen to set the custom functions correctly. Does this mean my 60d has interchangeable focus screen and the 5d MkIII does not????
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

Invertalon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
My 60d has 3 options in the custom functions for selecting what focuys sceen I have installed. And the manual says if i change the focus screen to set the custom functions correctly. Does this mean my 60d has interchangeable focus screen and the 5d MkIII does not????

Correct. But your 60D does not have the advanced transmissive LCD either displaying the grid lines, focus points, AF modes, etc...

That is the tradeoff... Focus screen or awesome viewfinder information. I will take the advanced LCD!

noxious_nasties

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »
Well here are the instructions for the 7d with katzeye.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install_12.pdf

Doesn't seem too difficult at all - at least nothing that a good techie can't handle.
I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a focus screen from katzeye or focusscreen.com
for all the mf people out there.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:53:05 PM by noxious_nasties »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »

nighstar

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
Well here are the instructions for the 7d with katzeye.

Doesn't seem too difficult at all - at least nothing that a good techie can't handle.
I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a focus screen from katzeye or focusscreen.com
for all the mf people out there.

yes, getting a good focusing screen isn't really the issue. it's voiding your warranty by installing it and the lack of built-in metering compensation that's the real problem, imho.

sure, i can buy and install a katzeye focusing screen, but then my metering will be off and there will be no way of fixing it. cameras that allow interchangeable focusing screens have built-in metering adjustments, which the Mark III won't have.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
That is the tradeoff... Focus screen or awesome viewfinder information. I will take the advanced LCD!

Not exactly. The 1D X has the transmissive LCD that provides 'awesome viewfinder information', and it has interchangeable focusing screens.  Canon simply chose not to include that feature on the 5DIII - which is unfortunate for all those people who need MF for fast lenses (anyone using expensive Zeiss lenses on a 5DII, for example).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »