December 22, 2014, 05:56:41 PM

Author Topic: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?  (Read 19110 times)

noxious_nasties

Re: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »
Metering will be an issue I agree. It's a big downside in my opinion that it can't change screens as I like macro work  but at least the option is there.

I can't see it being bad on the warranty when done correctly though - you'd just have to replace the original when/if you need the warranty.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:31 PM »

chito

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »
this is really starting to bother me..  I don't do a ton of MF but I like to see the DOF of my ridiculously priced L primes, and I hate the 1 series form factor..

I wonder what Jeff Ascough thinks of this.. I read that he MF a lot, and he uses the 50L... Maybe Canon will make a special 5D3 just for him...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
bummer I hope Katzeyez do one for the 5D3
I would have thought a bigger VF might have made it more like the older 1 series
which to be honest absolutely kill the 5D2 in this department even with the EG-S screen in the 5D2 my 1Dmk 3 with standard screen in is significantly easier to use MF on
APS-H Fanboy

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »
I would have thought a bigger VF might have made it more like the older 1 series
which to be honest absolutely kill the 5D2 in this department even with the EG-S screen in the 5D2 my 1Dmk 3 with standard screen in is significantly easier to use MF on
WickedW, I contacted brightscreen.com and they are preparing one. Doesn't seem to be difficult. However, what you say is very probable because the EgS was not extremely helpful. So, please let me know when you get yours from leederville what is the VF experience! I use only CZ an rely entirely on MF, started circling the 135/2 though to get an idea of the new AF... :)
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »
WickedW, I contacted brightscreen.com and they are preparing one. Doesn't seem to be difficult. However, what you say is very probable because the EgS was not extremely helpful. So, please let me know when you get yours from leederville what is the VF experience! I use only CZ an rely entirely on MF, started circling the 135/2 though to get an idea of the new AF... :)
yeah will do, Since I will keep 1 5D2 for MF duty i'll most likey get a brightscreen for it
APS-H Fanboy

nighstar

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »
WickedW, I contacted brightscreen.com and they are preparing one. Doesn't seem to be difficult.

good to know, thanks. :)

i am really hoping to use old MF lenses on my Mark III without having to always reference liveview for focusing.... i should be getting the Mark III on the 22nd, so time will tell. i have no 5D Mark II to compare with, though.

Isurus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
Why do you say the viewfinder does not go wider than 5.6? I thought until the time of the shutter, the aperture is fully open and so should be at the F level you are trying to use.
Maybe i am mistaken, but can you explain a bit more please.

That statement isn't really correct for the aperture - it's actually f/2.8.  The focusing screens in modern dSLRs are laser microetched to make them brighter, so they work better with slow lenses which are common these days.  One consequence of that is that the viewfinder shows the DoF of an f/2.8 lens even with lenses that are faster than that.  If you have a fast prime, test it yourself - use the DoF preview button as you stop down from wide open, and you'll see that the VF doesn't start getting darker until you hit ~f/2.8 (or f/2.5 with some lenses).  The high-precision Eg-S screen for the 5DII is a 'brighter' screen that shows the true DoF for fast lenses (but f/5.6 lenses are pretty dark, unlike with the stock screen).

I use an Eg-S on the 5DII, and the lack of a similar option for the 5DIII is very disappointing.  It's true that there will likely be 3rd party screens as there are for the 7D, but the focusing screen on the 7D is not considered user-replaceable, and doing yourself is a challenge, so most of the vendors that sell 7D screens also offer a service to swap them out.  Personally, I prefer the flexibility to easily change them out on-the-fly - Eg-S when I'm going to be using a fast prime, Eg-A (the stock screen) when using a slower zoom, like the 28-300L where I might be outdoors or inside.

Per Chucky, the f2.8 isn't accurate either; it's actually f4.0.   8)  Regardless, having used the 7D quite a bit over the past couple years and finding manual focusing with wide apertures to be an exercise in frustration, this is probably a deal breaker for me.

I had completely forgotten about this (even though I started the thread - lol) until this thread got resurrected.  While I've indicated in other threads I was leaning towards getting the MIII over the 1D X simply because of cost, I've decided to cancel my pre-order and wait for the 1D X.  Manual focusing is too critical for me and I'm not interesting in having to pay attention to the aperture I'm using and then adjust metering compensation accordingly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
Looks like the standard screen that it's going to come with is a grid-style focusing screen... thank g-d.  I shoot architecture, and without a grid, I'd be dead meat, and this would have been a deal breaker.

No, the standard screen has no grid.  The grid is part of the 'intelligent viewfinder' and is a feature that can be turned on/off.  It's generated by the transmissive LCD that sits next to the focusing screen.  The 7D and 1D X have a simliar feature - unlike most cameras, you can actually completely turn off the AF points displayed on them.

I'm still thinking about getting the gridded screen for my 5DII. Do you happen to know if that one is as bright as the original or more like the EG-S?
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
No interchangeable focus screens is disappointing. I've noticed that the Nikon D800 has the same limitation.

I guess, however, to offset that to some degree, the 5dIII has a decent 3.2" lcd screen which will make liveview-based-focusing a bit easier than on the mark II.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:16 AM »
I'm still thinking about getting the gridded screen for my 5DII. Do you happen to know if that one is as bright as the original or more like the EG-S?

The Eg-D grid screen is like the stock Eg-A screen (but with gridlines) - brighter with slow lenses, but doesn't show the true DoF with fast lenses (and less bright than Eg-S with a fast lens - you haven't seen a bright VF until you've looked through an f/1.2 lens with the Eg-S screen).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
Has anyone tried this with his 7D?   http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/7den.htm

And, how does the K3 focusing screen work for you?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:23:31 AM by candyman »

Stebs

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »
I have to say the fixed focusing screen is my one real rub with the Mark III, as I have grown to love the EG-s screen in my MKII. I might try shooting some head shots wide open but use the Live View on the Mark II to see if that is a doable work around for me.

What are the chances, the autofocus will be accurate enough to negate the need to manually focus when shooting <f/2 ? Was the AF accurate enough in the 1 Ds MKIII or the 1 D MK IV?

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
i think accuracy of AF and knowing what to focus on are two different things.

i have all the faith in the world that the mkIII with the completely revamped AF will be able to focus quickly and accurately.  the question is, will it know it's the eye i'm trying to nail at 1.2

:(

what a bummer, the only thing keeping me from upgrading as i usually roll with a 24/35 1.4 and a 85 1.2
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
Looks like the standard screen that it's going to come with is a grid-style focusing screen... thank g-d.  I shoot architecture, and without a grid, I'd be dead meat, and this would have been a deal breaker.

No, the standard screen has no grid.  The grid is part of the 'intelligent viewfinder' and is a feature that can be turned on/off.  It's generated by the transmissive LCD that sits next to the focusing screen.  The 7D and 1D X have a simliar feature - unlike most cameras, you can actually completely turn off the AF points displayed on them.

I thought the "intelligent viewfinder" is a 1DX feature not included with 5DIII?
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF 100-400 Mk II | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »

I thought the "intelligent viewfinder" is a 1DX feature not included with 5DIII?

Think again.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »