September 18, 2014, 06:03:27 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III -- Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD / SDHC)?  (Read 41921 times)

jerodkaram

I'm looking for opinions / experiences / knowledge / etc. on the differences between using CF and SD.  I've got experience with both--CF in my EOS 30D and SD in my wife's point-n-shoot.

I'm stepping up from the 30D to my recently pre-ordered 5D3.  I've got a small collection of compact flash cards that I'm planning to replace both for speed and capacity reasons.  My question is...  With the addition of a dual CF / SD card slot in the 5D3, is there an advantage of using one card format over the other?  As near as I can tell, the available speeds, capacities, and prices are relatively similar.

Is there something I'm missing?  What are the prevailing opinions out there?

canon rumors FORUM

Neeneko

Re: 5D Mark III -- Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD / SDHC)?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
For the most part it is 'whatever your other equipment uses'.  The two systems have minor differences but they are so close at this point that neither is a clear winner in terms of speed or reliability.

I think someone was talking about being able to use a 'wifi' SD card, so maybe someone can chime in about that option and how well it might work with the 5D3.

tooslick2k

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
From my experience, SD cards fail from time to time. I have never had a problem with my CF cards. I been looking at the settings for saving options for the 5D3 which I ordered as well. Im stumped dont know if I want to use the SD as a backup (save each image on the CF and SD) or if I want to use the SD as overfill in case I run out of space on my CF, which I have never done.

there are perks to both, but again I would choose CF over SD every and any day!

jerodkaram

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that I would stick with CF because I'm familiar with it and it feels more solid to me.  Nice that there's the option of an emergency backup format that's easily found in most grocery / drug / convenience stores / etc.

I don't know about those Wi-Fi SD cards.  How reliable are they?  I've had trouble with memory cards in the past and I've become a SanDisk user exclusively.  They give me a good sense of security that my data is going to be on the card accurately and every time.  Never had a hiccup with SanDisk.

Do you know the maximum data throughput of the camera (or how to calculate it)?  Would a SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/s card suffice or do I need to plan on shelling out the cash for an Extreme Pro 90 MB/s card?

tivoboy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
might be nice to be able to use things like eye-fi now with the MkIII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
Do you know the maximum data throughput of the camera (or how to calculate it)?  Would a SanDisk Extreme 60 MB/s card suffice or do I need to plan on shelling out the cash for an Extreme Pro 90 MB/s card?

The 90 Mb/s cards will likely make a slight difference for the camera, and a bigger difference during card reader image transfer.

I previously tested several Sandisk cards in the 5DII and 7D (the latter having a slightly higher data generation rate than the 5DIII, 8 fps x 18 MP > 6 fps x 22 MP).  The faster card meant an extra 4-6 images in a 20 s burst (66 vs 62 for the 7D, 51 vs. 45 for the 5DII), and shaved ~1.5 s off the write-out time for those images (28.5 s vs 30 s for both cameras).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »
The newer Canon model might write to a CF card much faster than the 5D MK II did.  I'll need to see some tests before going out and buying a super fast card.

I believe that It takes SDXC cards which have larger potential capacity and speed, but you might need a new card reader for them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
In my experience, CF cards definitely hold the edge on speed over SDHC cards, even class 10. CF cards currently reach 667x speeds, where as the fastest SD cards, class 10, only reach 66x speeds, as far as write speed goes. That would be 100mb/s for CF (or more commonly, 600x, which is 90mb/s), vs. 10mb/s for the fastest SD cards. When you see a speed rating on an SDHC card, beware! You may see 15mb/s or even 30mb/s SDHC cards, but that refers to read speed. I was unaware of this when I first started buying SD cards, so I have a variety of 15mb/s and 30mb/s read speed cards rated Class 2, 6, and 10. The difference in write speed amongst them is QUITE APPARENT, and nothing compared to CF write speeds. I have found the rating system for SD cards very misleading, and I've wasted a fair amount of money buying cards I though would give me 30mb/s write speed, when in fact they only offered 2 or 6 mb/s.

If you can pick up one of the really fast CF cards, they can often improve the characteristics of your camera as well. I recently moved up from using SanDisk 60mb/s CF cards to using Transcend 90mb/s CF cards (roughly the same price, but with Transcend you get just as much reliability but better speed.) I was surprised to find that the continuous frames on my 7D jumped from the default of 15 to about 23-24, and instead of simply halting once the limit was met, I could keep getting bursts of 2-3 shots with an extra second between...indefinitely.

It seems there are 1000x CF cards hitting the market these days from Lexar. They are pricy, but can supposedly reach speeds of 150mb/s. I would imagine you could see further benefits from one of those. I am not sure if those require UDMA-7 compatibility, and if they do, I would suspect they drop to 600x speed if you don't have that (as far as I know, all pro-grade Canon cameras do.)

I've also dropped a couple CF cards in the snow, however after letting them dry they have never had any problems. I've dropped a few SD cards in the snow a few times, and a couple of them stopped working after that (SanDisk brand, even! Not quite as reliable as the hearsay would indicate...)

I like the idea of using an SD card as a backup card, dual writing to the CF and SD (assuming that doesn't slow down write speed.) After a long day shooting nature, to the tune of a couple thousand shots, I always worry I'm going to lose one of my cards. It would bring a lot of peace of mind to have a backup of each.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »
Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC

Cut n paste
Up to 95 MB/sec (633X) read speed. Write speed up to 90 MB/s (600X). Based on SanDisk internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device. 1 megabyte (MB) = 1 million bytes. X = 150KB/sec. bytes.

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

h4ldol

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
might be nice to be able to use things like eye-fi now with the MkIII

Yep, that's why I'm excited about having a SD slot on the MkIII.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC

Cut n paste
Up to 95 MB/sec (633X) read speed. Write speed up to 90 MB/s (600X). Based on SanDisk internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device. 1 megabyte (MB) = 1 million bytes. X = 150KB/sec. bytes.

Thats SDXC. I did not realize any SDXC cards had actually been released yet, but they do level the playing field (although they are about about 3-4 times as expensive as comparable CF cards.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:30 PM »
I shoot a lot of concerts.  So, I need to get pictures to my editor or the arena manager very quickly.  I am going to record RAW to my CF and JPEG to SD.  I can get the SD to them quicker than I can my RAW files.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »
I shoot a lot of concerts.  So, I need to get pictures to my editor or the arena manager very quickly.  I am going to record RAW to my CF and JPEG to SD.  I can get the SD to them quicker than I can my RAW files.

That would be a slick setup.  For wedding shooters setting the SD card to mirror the CF so you have two copies would I think be the desired setup.   It would be scary to tell a bride her wedding photos were corrupted  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:11:14 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »

The camera now includes support for eyefi SD cards, if that helps, you can stream the wifi direct from the sd card while keeping the raw files for later editing if you happen to need better.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Since the specs have been covered by others on this thread, I'll just mention one thing: you'll experience a heart attack when the SD card you left on the table end up in the hands of the kid who just picked it up on the end where the contact points are - and he just finished eating his ice cream cone... :'(
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »