September 02, 2014, 04:35:09 PM

Author Topic: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?  (Read 5681 times)

AmbientLight

  • 6D
  • *****
  • Posts: 490
    • View Profile
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
Actually I suspect a high resolution 1D series camera may be next in line.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:29:00 PM by AmbientLight »

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »

XanuFoto

  • Guest
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
Canon will make a HIGH Res model if there is a market for it. Generally this would be the Landscape/Fashion guys. Don't know how big that market is.

jrista

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4147
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
Given that a 5D IV is at lesst 3-4 years away, if you can stand not having a camera as good as the 5D III that long, then you might as well wait. For that matter, when the 5D IV is released, you might as well wait another three years for the 5D V. But why stop there? You could wait for the 5D VI once the 5D V comes out, because its bound to be far, far better, right?

Just ignore the fact that by that time, you've waited at least nine years to buy a camera that meets your needs and shoots better photos with more detail and less noise than you'll ever actually NEED anyway, regardless of how it may compare to any other camera (Canon or otherwise)...the huge wait will all be more convenient if you simply ignore the simple fact that you DON'T have what you want, and never will. ;)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

m3tek44

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
I have no patient to wait another 3-4 yrs.  Will go ahead and buy 5D Mark III now.
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

Kernuak

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1108
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
Canon will make a HIGH Res model if there is a market for it. Generally this would be the Landscape/Fashion guys. Don't know how big that market is.
There was a time, where I would have looked towards a 35+MP full frame, but I'm no longer convinced, seeing how many current lenses struggle with the 7D at times. I think it would work fine for studio and product photography, but not for landscape, until new lenses are released. I think the new releases will cope, but they haven't arrived yet (with a few exceptions). I think that is why Canon seem to be updating so many lenses and are rumoured to be in the near future. It could be that they are waiting until the update programme is further advanced before releasing a high resolution sensor. Certainly judging by the Nikon D800 and D800E samples, even the highly regarded 14-24 has noticeable problems in the corners, simply because of the extra detail. While for standard prints, you wouldn't notice it any more than previous cameras, if you aren't going to be printing large, then why bother with such a high resolution? And if you are, you will notice the problems in print.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

ronderick

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 400
    • View Profile
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
Seriously, what I've been wondering is who really would want the 1Dx over the 5DIII? It appears Canon has now added better AF (potentially the same as in the 1-series) which is what everyone always screamed about. And it has supposedly more weather sealing and such, high enough frame rate and great flexibility for really everything now. So why bother with the 1Dx? What am I missing? And what else will Canon put out to fill any potential gap now that their studio and/or sports pros may be missing still?

I've been wondering about the same thing, but coming to think of it, the shutter life itself already shows a significant difference. Also, there's still the old plastic reflector vs. metallic reflector mirror thing where Canon still keeps the metallic one for the 1D series...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

YellowJersey

  • Guest
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:22 AM »
If you're shooting at a professional level where you need every edge you can get and the mkII might mean not getting the shot while the mkIII might mean getting the shot, then I think it makes sense to upgrade.

But, for the enthusiasts, I'm of the opinion that it probably makes more sense to upgrade every other generation. I have a 5D and while I was tempted when the mkII came out I felt that upgrading to a new model after only three or four years was too soon. I couldn't justify the expense after having the 5D for such a relatively short period of time. I think the enthusiasts, the jump in IQ is really only worth it to make the leap every other generation. So for those who have a mkII, it probably makes sense to hang on to it until the mkIV or whatever, or hold off on the mkIII until we see a price drop that's enough to make you bite.

The other option is that if you have money to burn, then go for it. There are certainly worse things you could spend your money on. Unfortunately, most of us aren't in that category.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:22 AM »

Goshdern

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »
Even if I could afford the 5diii now I wouldn't buy one yet.

In what, 6-8 months it will be rebated down to $3k.... No?  I'm just guessing but, isn't that a reasonable expectation?

We just got a 5dii in Nov so I can "put up" with it for at least a year!   :-*
Tamrac 5592; Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.2L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, 580EX II (x2), PCBuff Einstein-Vagabond Mini & reflectors, Sekonic 758DR, Trigmaster tx and rx's & lots of eneloops

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Buy the 5D III or wait for the 5D IV?
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »