October 22, 2014, 09:13:36 AM

Author Topic: What to expect for a new high MP full-frame body?  (Read 2684 times)

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
What to expect for a new high MP full-frame body?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
With the current Canon lineup we have several DSLR bodies to choose from with 18-22 MP.

Given that Canon is building a well-earned reputation of actually listening to their users' wants and needs and even delivering on these requirements as shown in both 7D and (judging from existing previews) also 5D Mark III I wonder what people would look for in a new high MP camera?

canon rumors FORUM

What to expect for a new high MP full-frame body?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: What to expect for a new high MP full-frame body?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
I wonder what people would look for in a new high MP camera?

High MP?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
I wonder what people would look for in a new high MP camera?

High MP?

;D

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
 ;D Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

I posted this question actually thinking about what may be next, like what would make a higher MP camera body a worthwhile investment, when it appears to me right now that up to 22 MP are quite enough for quite many uses. Like is there a niche market and what for? I expect at first glance that such a camera might be targeted towards what medium format cameras are used for right now, but is this all?

Actionpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
I am waiting, years and years already, for a full frame camera with the pixelsdensity of a recent crop camera. High ISO for me would be no issue as I would even like very much the possibility of ISO 25 and 50 to get longer shutterspeeds for motion photography.

Tuggem

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
I would expect thanks to the higher pixel density and increased number of pixels itself. Lets say 4x 5D3 ~88MP.

-Improved dynamic range
DR is easier to achieve with smaller pixels.

-Improved high iso noise performance in final image
NR algorithms superior to averaging.

-An eqvivalent to 5D3 with a 1.0x to 2.0x zoom extender build in the body
Just a matter of cropping

-A camera that get more out of my expensive lenses
Perhaps I will even save money by not needing as many lenses

-A more allaround camera
Thanks to all above

XanuFoto

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »
I honestly don't know what the market for a 36MP low ISO performance camera is. We will find out. Maybe Nikon as identified a niche.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

Why would Canon ever want you to do that? ;D

Tuggem

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
I honestly don't know what the market for a 36MP low ISO performance camera is. We will find out. Maybe Nikon as identified a niche.

I guess you are talking about D800 even though its very difficult to understand what it is you are trying to say.
The D800 has simply high performance. Not performance in any special iso range.

Tuggem

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »

Why would Canon ever want you to do that? ;D

Its a possibillity that Canon will refuse to go beyond low resoluton FF because it may hurt other sales. In first hand crop cameras.

darrellrhodesmiller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
at some point you run into physics.. these FF sensors are the same size.. the mark II, mark III, nikons eqiv. all have roughly the same size physical sensor.. you can pack on more MP to a point.. but at some point.. you've got to make a physically larger sensor.. nikon did increase to 36MP.. but we have yet to really see what the results are compared to canons 22mp camera. yes the file size will be bigger.. more pixels to play with.. but are those pixels sharp? how bad is the noise? is the color representation accurate? i guess we'll find this out in late april or may when the cameras really come out.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
I don't see them offering one. Well, eventually they will, they all will, but no time soon. OR am I just missing something? The 1dx is their fastest, FF super bad camera. The 5dmk3 is the toned down version. Do we need another 1d level high MP body, or a 5d level build with a high MP count? Why not both? Why not a super high MP sensor in a rebel level build, or maybe a 5dmk3 sensor in a 1d build... Frankly, i just don't see a need. This all feels a little weird anyway since Canon has owned the high MP race since it's creation, and we all asked for less mp and more iso/ more well rounded cameras. Canon and Nikon swap roles.

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
What makes me wonder is that I don't expect Canon and Nikon to swap roles. Let's think about what we know about product development a bit:

Where Nikon uses a core component from a 3rd party (Sony), Canon creates its own sensors. In product development this certainly should give Canon the edge in being independent and more flexible, where Nikon suffers an additional overhead dealing with Sony, a rather large company more and more taking a bite out of the photography market itself. I know somebody having switched from Nikon to Sony, thinking that may be more economical. That cannot be really good for Nikon, given the usual dynamics between what in the end must be considered competitors. This leads me to the expectation that Canon should be able to counter Nikon's D800 with something of its own, provided of course that Canon would want to do so. I now wonder, what this may be?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
I believe that Canon has said they will consider high MP bodies if the market wants them.  They decided a couple of years ago to concentrate more on quality, and less on quantity.  However, many merely look at the MP count and assume thats better. 

I think that putting aside the high mp count, the D800 has some very attractive features which many photographers value.  If it had better high ISO performance, I'd be tempted.  however, my 5D MK III is on order because, for me, its the best compromise of all the factors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »