November 28, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Author Topic: Why so many complaints about no external recording on the 5D Mark lll?  (Read 6137 times)

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I'd agree if the camera's built in compression was AVCHD at 24Mb's, but we are talking about H.264 All-I at 90Mb's, so what's the problem? Also, I'm sure an eventual Magic Lantern hack may improve this even more.

canon rumors FORUM

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
because it may very well be only 8-bit 4:2:0, whereas the D800 can do 8-bit 4:2:2 (which is twice as much color information) through an external recorder (and still end up cheaper than a 5D3)

and ML probably won't fix that
* it never got to play with the encoder in the digic 4 processor, only with the ARM part (I think that's why the qscale parameter never actually delivered increased image quality)
* even the GH2 hack, which gets super-high bitrates and all-intra footage out of the camera, can't change the fact that it's 8-bit 4:2:0

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
I'm not into video, but if I were, I'd compare with the D800 carefully.  It is claimed to autofocus while doing video, which is needed for non pro level video of the kids soccer games, etc.  Even wedding photographers might want AF during video.  The full res output would certainly be wanted for pro level video.

Even Canon video evangalist vincent Laforet is annoyed about this.

"I obviously didn’t choose to thrown my hat into the ring in the quest to shoot a sequel to Reverie for the launch of this camera - and that is due to four main reasons:

1.  I find it foolish to mess with a good thing…

2. The specs on this camera don’t necessarily warrant it.

3. No clean HDMI out… why…why…why?  (not!?)

4. I thought that the Canon C300 was a bigger leap forward – and therefore chose to throw my hat in the ring to shoot  "Mobius" just a few months ago for the Hollywood launch of Canon’s Cinema EOS line at Paramount in Hollywood.  Canon’s move into the cinema market was a much bigger development in my book – pretty spectacular given how quickly it happened, following the MKII’s launch a few years earlier.    The C300 is in effect the Canon 5D MKII all grown up – but a pure video camera (not a still camera.)"

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I am very interested to learn if the All-I mode is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.  4:2:2 would be a great help for green screen work.

Canon can always send out a firmware update if their calculations indicate Nikon is hurting them more than cannibalism of the C series would be.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
External recording also lets you get around the 30 minute limit and CF/SD card size limitations. I probably won't record video often with 5dm3, but I'm still disappoined that the option isn't there.  I don't think a firmware fix will necessarily work because the video has some processing done to add the menus/etc, so it may not be possible to get a raw video feed from chop to hdmi output even if you can turn the menus off.

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
  It is claimed to autofocus while doing video, which is needed for non pro level video of the kids soccer games, etc.

You guys REALLY need to get off your high horse about this.  There are a lot of good, proper, videographers in the world who do a lot more than shoot soccer games and need this feature.

~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
  It is claimed to autofocus while doing video, which is needed for non pro level video of the kids soccer games, etc.

You guys REALLY need to get off your high horse about this.  There are a lot of good, proper, videographers in the world who do a lot more than shoot soccer games and need this feature.

I was pointing out that a lot of people, including Canon Maker of light Vinvent Laforet want clean video out, and that the Nikon D800 has it, as well as autofocus for non video makers.

Whats your problem?

canon rumors FORUM

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
I am very interested to learn if the All-I mode is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.  4:2:2 would be a great help for green screen work.

Canon can always send out a firmware update if their calculations indicate Nikon is hurting them more than cannibalism of the C series would be.

Using AVC-Intra100 as a benchmark, which is 100mbps with 10 bit intra-frame sampled @4:2:2, the 8-bit Canon coding would need to be 4:2:2 to be close to the 90Mbs claimed on the Canon specs.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:45:19 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
IMO, they should have this feature because I doubt any camera will ship without it from now on  ;)
The external recording market will explode and offer a lot of flexibility. You will no longer be at the mercy of firmware hacks and OEMs making the right choice very 4 years.

Neeneko

This is photography.. probably the field with the most high horse riding around....
The problem is careers are made or broken by trying to convince people that you are better then 'those guys with cameras', which means drawing lines between twue and not twue and making sure that you and your buddies are on the correct side, preferably with as few people as possible so you can share the spoils (which is usually either money, attention, or hot young models).

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Why so many complaints about no external recording on the 5D Mark lll?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
Spelling helps too. Vivent, twue, etc.. Cripes.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »
Why so many complaints about no external recording on the 5D Mark lll?

Because people are never satisfied.
Those "budding filmmakers" who had to put up with a crappy home-video recorder (or shell out thousands for professional equipment) a few years ago, then got a "cheap" 5D2 with all the wonderful EF lenses suddenly realised how good they could have it for IQ, ISO, DOF.
But somehow, after 4 years, that's not good enough anymore. Considering we're at the point where anything shot is "good enough" in the eyes of Joe Moviegoer, the difference in dropping a bit or two of resolution is going to mean diddly squat.
And that's not even taking into account that 80% (conservative, probably closer to 98% or higher) of people who buy 5D3+d800 combined are going to use it for photos and home-movies and never watch it on a colour-calibrated TV screen or 3m+ screen.
(one day people might realise that a good script costs nothing, and will bring in more people than an extra bit of colour detail...)

This is the internet, we got whingers...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
I saw a video where they confirmed that it outputs 1080i when recording, by connecting and external Zacuto monitor. It displayed "1080i" on the screen. I don't know if that's quite what people are looking for, but it's certainly an improvement over the 480p of the Mk II.

Realistically, this is an issue for a very small percentage of shooters. How many people have that kind of recorder? And who wants to deal with carrying it? I think those who do are quite possibly in the range of possible C300 customers.

We'll find out more about the quality of the new camera's video soon enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
FYI, the vaunted D800 "clean HDMI output" has been confirmed to be only 1080i, which a strong argment can be made is actually weaker than 720p. So nix that heavily touted "advantage."

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »
FYI, the vaunted D800 "clean HDMI output" has been confirmed to be only 1080i, which a strong argment can be made is actually weaker than 720p. So nix that heavily touted "advantage."

Oh wow, straight from the owner's manual, too. Page 257. And from what I've read, it disables internal audio recording altogether, so you'll need a completely separate device to record audio.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7489/first-test-of-nikon-d800-hdmi-output

Looks like one of the D800's advantages may not be an advantage after all, since the Mk III also has 1080i output from the HDMI port.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »