August 22, 2014, 04:09:48 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 vs. 5D2 image comparo...  (Read 2697 times)

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
5D3 vs. 5D2 image comparo...
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
OK - in full disclosure I was about to write up a post how I was disappointed with some of the noise in the high ISO shots being offered on Canon Europe's website.  Then - in order to be fair I figured I should compare the photos to the 5DMKII.  Wow - what an improvement!  I just downloaded some 6400 full res MKII samples, and the improvement is staggering.

Here is a side by side comparo...

Original 6400 5DMKIII image: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii/16_cinc_big.jpg
Original 6400 5DMKII image: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_5d_mk2-assets/nightshot6400.jpg
Another 6400 5D2 image in more "normal" light conditions:  http://www.stevehuffphotos.com/Steve_Huff_Photos/CANON_5D_MARKII_REVIEW_AND_SAMPLES_2_files/iso6400fullsizewinny.jpg

I'm amazed at the improvement in noise reduction!

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 vs. 5D2 image comparo...
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 vs. 5D2 image comparo...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »
There is definite improvement however the shots are different exposures, it's hard to see the full extend of the Noise print. The noise in the 5d3 seems larger in pitch thus maybe harder for NR software to improve upon as much as finer grain...  just some thoughts...

Thanks for posting.  +1
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:39 PM »
Chuck Westfall has already stated that the high ISO improvements are two stops in the sensor and not in the firmware NR.   In the 1D MK IV, for example, he gave credit to about 1/2 stop over the 1D MK III for beinng sensor improvements.  And, the 1Dx is supposed to be even better!

I downloaded all the full resolution test images from DPR, and was simply amazed.  When I pulled up the blacks as far as LR4 would go, there was no banding.  Then, I printed them at 8.5 X 11, and was even more amazed, all the prints were clean and sharp with noise seen only when looking very closely.

Now, I'd like to see RAW images.

markd61

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
If I were still shooting available darkness weddings and events this camera would really get my attention. But as my work is largely architecture and commercial portraiture it doesn't have much for me considering the price premium.

Ironically both wedding and event businesses are the areas with the steepest declines in revenue calling into question the whole value proposition vis a vis the yper capable cameras now available.

tt

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
Chuck Westfall has already stated that the high ISO improvements are two stops in the sensor and not in the firmware NR.   In the 1D MK IV, for example, he gave credit to about 1/2 stop over the 1D MK III for beinng sensor improvements.  And, the 1Dx is supposed to be even better!

I downloaded all the full resolution test images from DPR, and was simply amazed.  When I pulled up the blacks as far as LR4 would go, there was no banding.  Then, I printed them at 8.5 X 11, and was even more amazed, all the prints were clean and sharp with noise seen only when looking very closely.

Now, I'd like to see RAW images.
Sounds good that the sometimes mentioned banding in the shadows the 5D MkII isn't hopefully there for the MkIII.
Probably makes 1DX preorder folk even happier - as they haven't seen full high ISO pics yet afaik - so they can in a sense just judge the 5D MkIII and expect a bit more than that!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »