September 01, 2014, 10:32:10 AM

Author Topic: HDR Photo From MK3  (Read 3235 times)

tasteofjace

HDR Photo From MK3
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Found an example of what an HDR image can look like when processed on camera.

Original image can be found here, under the picture portfolio tab.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do

canon rumors FORUM

HDR Photo From MK3
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

XanuFoto

Re: HDR Photo From MK3
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
This has tremendous potential in post.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
This is the one feature that makes it better than the 5Dm2.  Maybe there is an easy way to do this in post-processing, but I haven't looked into it enough. 

I have taken a lot of pictures that I could do this to.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

jm345

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
I could see in camera HDR being useful for panos. Apply HDR to each individual pan shot as you take them in camera and then stitch the already HDR shots together in your software on the computer. As long as the HDR process can be controlled so the resulting exposures will be uniform among the panned shots it could be a big time saver.

frisk

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
With in-camera HDR combining, I am going to predict that a number of people with more money than taste will get a 5D3 and flood flickr.com and similar sites with awful HDR photos.....

SwanSong

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
With in-camera HDR combining, I am going to predict that a number of people with more money than taste will get a 5D3 and flood flickr.com and similar sites with awful HDR photos.....

Isn't that the case now w/o the 5D3 :p

Otter

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »

haha, unfortunately that is absolutely true!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »

-sanjin

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
Having the picture of the city of my alma mater on this website was my cue to register, and ask everyone about their opinion on something... perhaps slightly off-topic.

Despite being very excited that I saw the before-mentioned city in the product gallery for the 5DIII, that was about the only thing that excited me there. Now, is it just me, or should the pictures for the product launch that is so anticipated online be more exciting, grandiose, something to make the potential buyer go "wow", and all of us who were anxious to see them turn to our (enter name of a competing camera brand)-loving friends and say "told you so"?

(Otherwise, great site! Your coverage of the 7D was the reason I bought it.)

Janco

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 03:25:09 PM »
Despite being very excited that I saw the before-mentioned city in the product gallery for the 5DIII, that was about the only thing that excited me there. Now, is it just me, or should the pictures for the product launch that is so anticipated online be more exciting, grandiose, something to make the potential buyer go "wow", and all of us who were anxious to see them turn to our (enter name of a competing camera brand)-loving friends and say "told you so"?

Those pictures make me want to prove that I can create better images with this camera than those samples :-) Also keep thinking that those pictures are from a pre-production model...

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »

Same as when digital cameras hit the masses —cat photos galore on the web.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

mkln

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something here.

are the HDR and multi exposure features also for RAW or are they JPEG only?

jm345

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
HDR appears to be only JPEG while the Multiple Exposure Stacking is for RAW and JPEG.

"In-camera HDR shooting

In addition to the Multiple Imaging, the EOS 5D Mark III also features in-camera High Dynamic Range (HDR) shooting, thus allowing the creation of expanded dynamic range JPEG images. With HDR shooting, the camera will capture three images for each shot taken, with one being under-exposed, one correctly exposed and one over-exposed. These are then combined in-camera to create a single image.

When shooting HDR images, you can select the exposure range between the captured images or allow the camera to work it out automatically to suit the overall contrast. The manual range is between +/- 1 to 3EV. When the camera is processing the HDR images, there are several options on how the images are combined. These options range from Natural, which provides a natural looking result, to various creative effects like Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold and Art Embossed."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »