September 19, 2014, 10:19:43 PM

Author Topic: Where do you sell used lenses  (Read 11620 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you sell used lenses
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
I think everyone here at CR would like and appreciate if CR would start a trade page to sell used gear to other CR members, etc.  Sort of a CraigsList for CR.  Call it CansList or CRList or something.   :)

Otherwise, I prefer to sell (in order of preference)...
1.  In Person to friend
2.  In Person from CraigsList
3.  Amazon
4000.  eBay  (eBay is not fun anymore like it was years ago)

I have never tried Fred Miranda but I may look into it.

Rusty

I second that... but even when you sell to a friend and it works pefectly for you... in 6 month... or 2 months maybe the AF motor goes and then suddenly they are ticked at you even though you didn't do anything... still feels easier selling to strangers.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Which lens were you selling?

And my work building also has security, cameras... but no bank... just an atm... We used to have a bank... but we moved.

EF-S 10-22mm
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
I usually end up selling them on ebay.  My lenses are always in top shape with sample images, or if there is a small issue, I describe it.  I get a very good price on ebay, but their fees are very high.
Same here.  I hate their fees, but other than a few attempts to scam me and a couple of LENGTHY waits on customs for international buyers, I've had very good luck.  I like to take shots of the lenses with my 180mm macro and post shots I've taken with the lens in my ad.  I'm always very detailed about any scratches, marks, etc., no matter how small to make sure the buyer feels comfortable.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
I usually end up selling them on ebay.  My lenses are always in top shape with sample images, or if there is a small issue, I describe it.  I get a very good price on ebay, but their fees are very high.
Same here.  I hate their fees, but other than a few attempts to scam me and a couple of LENGTHY waits on customs for international buyers, I've had very good luck.  I like to take shots of the lenses with my 180mm macro and post shots I've taken with the lens in my ad.  I'm always very detailed about any scratches, marks, etc., no matter how small to make sure the buyer feels comfortable.

What I hate and I worry the most about is buyer scams where the buyer (the crook) complains to eBay that the seller (me) screwed them over in some way and they either received the wrong item, never received the item, received a broken item or they somehow got an STD from the item they were sold.  Whatever the bogus complaint, eBay Buyer Protection automatically refunds their money and yanks it out of the Seller's PayPal account whether it is there to yank or not.  So at that point, it is up the the Seller to prove they did nothing wrong while the buyer enjoys a full refund.  It's a huge buyer scam and eBay provides the means to do it.  I've known others who were scammed like this and not only did they lose the item them were selling but they lost the money they were paid for it as well.

Big Ticket and Popular items are the targets of these scams and eBay doesn't seem to really care unless the seller is some kind of Power Seller or something.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
I sell mine on gumtree (the Australia equivalent of Craigslist).

Yep another strong vote for Gumtree if you are in Australia. eBay is officially on the nose now for private sellers.

Paul Wright

Just had a look at Gumtree for the first time in years and was surprised by the amount of camera gear there.  What's the drama with eBay?  Is it the fees?  I rarely sell things, but eBay has been my way of doing it in the past.

I second that... but even when you sell to a friend and it works pefectly for you... in 6 month... or 2 months maybe the AF motor goes and then suddenly they are ticked at you even though you didn't do anything... still feels easier selling to strangers.

But we'd be able to identify those who: -

Dropped their lens, but it was saved by the UV filter;
Dropped their lens, but it wasn't saved by the UV filter;
Ask if mysterious black dots/hot spots on their sensor are normal;
Dropped their camera in the ocean, river, lake but it still works great due to the great weather sealing;
Ask if their lens looks sharp or wonder if it is de-centred;
Ask if loud grinding noises from the AF are normal;
Are sharing their "awesome pictures from last weekends color run"
etc, etc

And of course, on a more serious note, we'd also be able to identify those who have individual pelican cases for each lens and itemise their detailed cleaning and maintenance efforts to show how well they care for their equipment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:34:39 PM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
I sell mine on gumtree (the Australia equivalent of Craigslist).

Yep another strong vote for Gumtree if you are in Australia. eBay is officially on the nose now for private sellers.

Paul Wright

Just had a look at Gumtree for the first time in years and was surprised by the amount of camera gear there.  What's the drama with eBay?  Is it the fees?  I rarely sell things, but eBay has been my way of doing it in the past.

Gumtree is quite a good resource if you live in a city in Australia. I live in Adelaide, which has a population of about 1.2 million (so medium size city) and it has enough 'buying-selling or to-trade business / traffic' that it's worthwhile.

I have sold a few of my previous lenses on it - which were in good condition - and at a very competitive (ie fair) price. I wanted a no-fuss sale (my time is worth money too).  Over the years I have bought items on it - eg 2nd hand ball-head (but not lenses or bodies).  Just my personal preference, I prefer these items new - even if I have to import from USA & SE Asia (when I come across a good deal from those places).

There are also a few facebook pages, Australia cameras buy sell and trade (something like that) and 'Australia Canon buy and sell'.  These are good, have decent moderators (eg price needs to be mentioned, and photos attached, otherwise they are removed.

On both these mediums - some people try to sell items at ridiculously overpriced amounts (eg more than I can get new imports, including shipping).  They often say 'Best camera'  'Amazing' 'Quick sell' (eg when it's a 5 year old body with 80k clicks on it!) :)  But most people take a more reasonable approach...

I know the market well enough so I speak with authority and if people try to bargain me down, I indicate (truthfully) the number of other people who have contacted me about the lens, and I'm willing to wait for a 'reasonable price' not eg if I listed my lens at $400 and they offer me $250, I say... "No, $380 is the lowest I'm prepared to go. I'm expecting someone might also pay me $400 for it too"  :)  All has worked good so far.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »

What I hate and I worry the most about is buyer scams where the buyer (the crook) complains to eBay that the seller (me) screwed them over in some way and they either received the wrong item, never received the item, received a broken item or they somehow got an STD from the item they were sold.  Whatever the bogus complaint, eBay Buyer Protection automatically refunds their money and yanks it out of the Seller's PayPal account whether it is there to yank or not.  So at that point, it is up the the Seller to prove they did nothing wrong while the buyer enjoys a full refund.  It's a huge buyer scam and eBay provides the means to do it.  I've known others who were scammed like this and not only did they lose the item them were selling but they lost the money they were paid for it as well.

Big Ticket and Popular items are the targets of these scams and eBay doesn't seem to really care unless the seller is some kind of Power Seller or something.
I haven't had this happen yet, but have come close a few times.  What I do to protect myself is to video everything working, a close-up of the serial #, then the item being packed into the original boxes, padded in the shipping boxes, taped up, and labelled.  I figure that I can upload this to YouTube in the worst case that someone challenges what I sell them, but I too have heard horror stories.  I've also had to wait several weeks for a package signature and positive review before Paypal will release my funds if it's been a while since I've sold a "high risk" item.  My feedback is finally over 100, so I think that helps, but they'll probably change that 200 now, LOL.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »

mpphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »
I have only sold one lens, but I'll add my experience here.

Not long ago I sold an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III (non-USM).  It is one of Canon's most-maligned lenses, so I wasn't sure how easy it would be to sell.  I got the lens as part of a package when I was a newbie to DSLR photography.

Tried selling it for $100 on Craigslist.  No bites.  Waited a few weeks, tried selling it again for $80 on Craigslist.  Nobody was interested again.  I saw I could get $60 for it from B&H, so that would be my last resort.  I tried selling on eBay for $100, and it didn't sell.  I tried the $80 price point again, and I ended up selling for $82 plus a $10 shipping fee on eBay.  It was the first time in many years since I had sold on eBay, and stupid me, I forgot to check the fees before listing the lens.  They were much higher than I remembered.  So I grossed $92.  PayPal's cut was $2.97.  eBay charged a final value fee of $8.20 and a final value fee on shipping of $1.00.  The shipping cost me $12.41.  In the end, I only netted $67.42.  There's no getting around shipping, so let's concentrate on the eBay/PayPal fees.  They ended up taking nearly $11.17, or 14% away from my sale.

I have an EF-S 18-135mm lens I want to sell now.  Not sure if I am willing to lose a significant portion of my sale to eBay/PayPal again.  Those stories about sellers getting scammed by eBay Buyer Protection are scaring me.
EOS Rebel T3i, PowerShot G15, EOS 60D, EOS 5D Mark III

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
I have only sold one lens, but I'll add my experience here.

Not long ago I sold an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III (non-USM).  It is one of Canon's most-maligned lenses, so I wasn't sure how easy it would be to sell.  I got the lens as part of a package when I was a newbie to DSLR photography.

Tried selling it for $100 on Craigslist.  No bites.  Waited a few weeks, tried selling it again for $80 on Craigslist.  Nobody was interested again.  I saw I could get $60 for it from B&H, so that would be my last resort.  I tried selling on eBay for $100, and it didn't sell.  I tried the $80 price point again, and I ended up selling for $82 plus a $10 shipping fee on eBay.  It was the first time in many years since I had sold on eBay, and stupid me, I forgot to check the fees before listing the lens.  They were much higher than I remembered.  So I grossed $92.  PayPal's cut was $2.97.  eBay charged a final value fee of $8.20 and a final value fee on shipping of $1.00.  The shipping cost me $12.41.  In the end, I only netted $67.42.  There's no getting around shipping, so let's concentrate on the eBay/PayPal fees.  They ended up taking nearly $11.17, or 14% away from my sale.

I have an EF-S 18-135mm lens I want to sell now.  Not sure if I am willing to lose a significant portion of my sale to eBay/PayPal again.  Those stories about sellers getting scammed by eBay Buyer Protection are scaring me.

I find amazon marketplace fees to be moderate, certainly lower than 14%! Ouch!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
fredmiranda.com

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 04:06:06 AM »
I think everyone here at CR would like and appreciate if CR would start a trade page to sell used gear to other CR members, etc.  Sort of a CraigsList for CR.  Call it CansList or CRList or something.   :)

Otherwise, I prefer to sell (in order of preference)...
1.  In Person to friend
2.  In Person from CraigsList
3.  Amazon
4000.  eBay  (eBay is not fun anymore like it was years ago)

I have never tried Fred Miranda but I may look into it.

Rusty

Actually, I wish more of my friends were into photography. My friends know that I take care of my stuff so well that if I am ever selling things they need they will always buy from me. I sold both my cars to friends who had been badgering me to sell them. My iPhone 4S was claimed as soon as I expressed interest in getting the 5+ when it would be announced and now my 3-month old 5S is already claimed. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of photographer friends (at least with GAS).
I prefer CR, because buyers can see my equipment and then they always go for it. Having said that, selling my 7D and the two lenses was terribly difficult, firstly because the huge price drop secondly because Houston is full of videographers and the 70D is undoubtedly a better choice (I suppose even t5i must be although I am going entirely by specs). But I've finally sold them today, hooray!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:46 AM »

Well this also would be Craig's list wouldn't it? :P

FredMiranda is really nice. I bought several items and sold my 10-22 there. Super easy and nice experience all round.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:46 AM »