December 04, 2016, 09:42:01 AM

Author Topic: Where do you sell used lenses  (Read 26201 times)

ss396

Where do you sell used lenses
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Hey,

Where is the best place to sell used lenses....

canon rumors FORUM

Where do you sell used lenses
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
Re: Where do you sell used lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »
I'm hoping for some good suggestions also.

The odvious places I've heard of are Adorama, B&H and Craigslist but I have no actual experience so....

Help poor ignorant people.

Please?  :'(
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

ss396

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »
The last time I checked the BandH online quote, it gives you less than 50% of list for excellent shape.  I am hoping to get more.

crasher7

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
Ebay. 85-110% of price paid. Canon stuff holds it's value very well. In fact, last two weeks I sold 4 lenses for $150 more than I paid for them new. A good rule for used is to check vs the price on Canon refurb website.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »
Craigslist.  Face to face in a public location, the buyer gets to test the lens, and you leave with cash.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
I usually end up selling them on ebay.  My lenses are always in top shape with sample images, or if there is a small issue, I describe it.  I get a very good price on ebay, but their fees are very high.

TexPhoto

• 5DSR
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
When I lived in a major city, i would try craigslist first, then go to eBay.

Now I live pretty far from any city, so i just go straight to eBay.  The fees stink, but I walkways get more than I could feel it to a store for, even after the fees.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »

jaduffy007

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
fredmiranda.com

wtlloyd

• Canon 70D
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
WOW. I am gobsmacked that there is any answer given other than Fred Miranda.

Jamesy

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »
Craigslist.  Face to face in a public location, the buyer gets to test the lens, and you leave with cash.
+1

I have also been successful on FredMiranda too.

pj1974

• Canon 7D MK II
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »
I sell mine on gumtree (the Australia equivalent of Craigslist).

Gumtree provides you with free ads (sell, swap or buy) , and you can meet face to face (do this in a safe, public spot) to try / purchase, etc. I've had success in selling 3 Canon lenses that way in recent months.

I sold the lenses below what I got them for, but I expected that, and the reason I sold them for cheaper was:
 - I had a LOT of use over several years
 - they were not L lenses
 - each lens had been superceded in more recent years with superior products (ie newer / better lenses available).
So I was happy with getting at least some decent money for them, but having a clear conscious I was selling them for a reasonable price.

Gumtree really worked for me!  ;)

Paul
I appreciate using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

stevevihon

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »
In November, I sold a lens and DSLR to Adorama.  I would say seller beware based on my experience. 

(1)  They refuse to give you an online quote -- they will only give you a quote after you send them the gear to inspect
(2)  You must sit through a sales pitch from everyone you speak with in their Used Department -- "We pay top dollar.  We will give you 70% of what we will sell the gear for."
(3)  I sent my equipment in.  They offered me less than two other national camera retailers (one in GA and the other a very large retailer in NYC)
(4)  When I balked, I had to prove what the other places were offering.  I became so frustrated that the person I dealt with (the head of the Used Department) agreed to give me $25 above the best offer I had received)
(5)  So, I am sure you can image I was pretty upset when I saw my gear selling for about $500 more than what they claimed they would sell it for.  I wrote to the head of the used department and never heard back.

My advice;
- get multiple quotes if you go the retailer route
- check online to see what these retailers are selling the same equipment for, so you can negotiate with them
- investigate selling the gear directly yourself
- don't take it personally when they lowball you -- they are trying to get the best price for themselves.  I just hope whoever you deal with values your time to not make you listen to BS about how they give you the best price when they really will not
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:15:05 PM by stevevihon »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »

Gumtree provides you with free ads (sell, swap or buy) , and you can meet face to face (do this in a safe, public spot) to try / purchase, etc. I've had success in selling 3 Canon lenses that way in recent months.

I sold the lenses below what I got them for, but I expected that, and the reason I sold them for cheaper was:
 - I had a LOT of use over several years
 - they were not L lenses
 - each lens had been superceded in more recent years with superior products (ie newer / better lenses available).
So I was happy with getting at least some decent money for them, but having a clear conscious I was selling them for a reasonable price.

Gumtree really worked for me!  ;)

Paul

yeah i sold all my nikon gear in a week on gumtree. i must have priced it too cheap :P

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks!
I guess I'll try Craigslist (USA) .
As I'm slowwwwllllyyyyyy up grading I really shouldn't just let the glass just sit on the shelf.
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »

Yep another strong vote for Gumtree if you are in Australia. eBay is officially on the nose now for private sellers.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »