November 22, 2014, 06:45:48 PM

Poll

What would make 3.5k for 5DmIII justifiable for you?

7-8fps
7 (4.9%)
28MP/5fps
4 (2.8%)
36MP/4fps
17 (11.9%)
integrated wireless
11 (7.7%)
full 1Dx AF/meter
25 (17.5%)
small tweaks (1/250+ flash sync /usb3 /lan /integrated flash / some video whatever :)
10 (7%)
nothing, i think the price is justified
69 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: What would make $3500 for 5DmIII justifiable for you?  (Read 14580 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: What would make $3500 for 5DmIII justifiable for you?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
While I think the price was kind of a shock to most who were thinking of a sub $3000 price point, or anyone on a strict budget for that matter, but I think at the price point it is, and the technology advances they put into this camera both hardware and software, I think it's worth it. 

P.S.  the 7 was a 500-600 premium over the previous xxd line up at the time of it's release.  No one really balked at the price because it was a new line...  but if you think they took the 50D, and warp/reconstructed it to be what is the 7D, they basically did the same with the 5d2 and 5d3... so.... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
A $1,000 off coupon.

In all honesty I'm not complaining about the price, just that I don't have the money to afford one right now.  I just got engaged and the ring turned out to cost one 5Diii, but I think I made the right choice.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
A $1,000 off coupon.

In all honesty I'm not complaining about the price, just that I don't have the money to afford one right now.  I just got engaged and the ring turned out to cost one 5Diii, but I think I made the right choice.

congratulations!  Now once your married good luck getting approval for new gear haha  :D
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
A $1,000 off coupon.

I know the feeling. I had to get a ring and the honeymoon. I'm getting married this Saturday.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
I am fine with the 5D MK III.  A little more of a metering upgrade might have been nice, but I think the ISO and A/F improvements are huge over the current 5D MK II

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
Geez enough threads about the price and trying to justify paying the price. 

The problem is that too many people have waited to upgrade and now they feel like they waited for nothing, or that they should have just updated to the 5DII a year ago.  They hung on to their 30D/40D/50D/60D/7Ds patiently and assumed (incorrectly) that the 5DIII would be the exact same price as the 5DII.  Now that the 5DIII is out of their price range, they are trying to internally rationalize why it's not worth $3500, even if the simple reason is that they just can't afford it.  They are trying to marginalize it, make it seem like it's just a 5DII with improved AF, because after all, it's hard to admit "hey this thing is awesome, I've been waiting on it forever, and I can't have it."  It's much easier to tell yourself "meh, it's just a little better than the 5DII, I'm not missing out." (which makes them feel better about now having to get a 5DII).  Then the confirmation bias sets in, they only read reviews that make the 5DIII seem not that great, they ignore the praises, and before you know it they genuinely believe it's a crap camera.  They post polls talking about what would "justify the price tag."  ;)

I mean usually when people DONT want something they DONT talk about it, why should they care?  Yet I see thread after thread of people that supposedly "dont want a 5DIII because it's not worth it," yet they can't shut up about the thing.  I know it sucks that it's out of reach for some people, I mean announcement day was the closest thing to Christmas morning that an adult camera enthusiast can experience, and it's a bummer when you realize Santa didn't bring you anything.  But have patience, the price will come down and a 5DII is still an awesome, very capable camera (I'm not getting rid of mine).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:03:41 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
A $1,000 off coupon.

I know the feeling. I had to get a ring and the honeymoon. I'm getting married this Saturday.

Congrats to you as well and good luck in the future!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
A $1,000 off coupon.

Congrats to you as well and good luck in the future!

Thanks! And congrats to Keith also.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

The problem is that too many people have waited to upgrade and now they feel like they waited for nothing, or that they should have just updated to the 5DII a year ago.  They hung on to their 30D/40D/50D/60D/7Ds patiently and assumed (incorrectly) that the 5DIII would be the exact same price as the 5DII.  Now that the 5DIII is out of their price range, they are trying to internally rationalize why it's not worth $3500, even if the simple reason is that they just can't afford it.  They are trying to marginalize it, make it seem like it's just a 5DII with improved AF, because after all, it's hard to admit "hey this thing is awesome, I've been waiting on it forever, and I can't have it."  It's much easier to tell yourself "meh, it's just a little better than the 5DII, I'm not missing out." (which makes them feel better about now having to get a 5DII).  Then the confirmation bias sits in, they only read reviews that make the 5DIII seem not that great, they ignore the praises, and before you know it they genuinely believe it's a crap camera.  They post polls talking about what would "justify the price tag."  ;)

I mean usually when people DONT want something they DONT talk about it, why should they care?  Yet I see thread after thread of people that supposedly "dont want a 5DIII because it's not worth it," yet they can't shut up about the thing.  I know it sucks that it's out of reach for some people, I mean announcement day was the closest thing to Christmas morning that an adult camera enthusiast can experience, and it's a bummer when you realize Santa didn't bring you anything.  But have patience, the price will come down and a 5DII is still an awesome, very capable camera (I'm not getting rid of mine).

woah slow down mate,

no doubt there're people frustrated cause the M3 turned out of reach but lets not mix everything up,
its one thing if one can or cant afford it
its another thing if someone will buy it irregardless of cost
its another if someone want to be the first kid on the block
and its totally another if some feel that the camera is more expensive than it should be, judging by competition/tech

as far as this gem:
when people DONT want something they DONT talk about it
you do realize that some people have invested in the platform and seeing canon jacking up prices all across the board makes them justifiably nervous right?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:02:53 PM by meli »

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Thanks.

I think we should start a new thread - "I Was Going to Buy a 5Diii, But I Got Married"
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

The problem is that too many people have waited to upgrade and now they feel like they waited for nothing, or that they should have just updated to the 5DII a year ago.  They hung on to their 30D/40D/50D/60D/7Ds patiently and assumed (incorrectly) that the 5DIII would be the exact same price as the 5DII.  Now that the 5DIII is out of their price range, they are trying to internally rationalize why it's not worth $3500, even if the simple reason is that they just can't afford it.  They are trying to marginalize it, make it seem like it's just a 5DII with improved AF, because after all, it's hard to admit "hey this thing is awesome, I've been waiting on it forever, and I can't have it."  It's much easier to tell yourself "meh, it's just a little better than the 5DII, I'm not missing out." (which makes them feel better about now having to get a 5DII).  Then the confirmation bias sits in, they only read reviews that make the 5DIII seem not that great, they ignore the praises, and before you know it they genuinely believe it's a crap camera.  They post polls talking about what would "justify the price tag."  ;)

I love confirmation bias, it's awesome.  You're right and you're wrong. 

People are disappointed in the price and many are assessing the improvements in light of the $800-1000 more than what was expected/hoped for and concluded it's not enough of an improvement to justify the price increase.  IMHO that's not correct, it is worth the price.  Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a departure for Canon in that they seem not to be differentiating the high-end bodies with the AF system as much as in the past.  The difference between the 1DX and the 5D3 is much less than expectations. Now we have a great AF system in the 1DX, 5D3, and 7D. And at 6 fps, the 5D3 is very capable for sports... it's much more of an all-around camera than the 5D2.  Hmmm, times have changed.

Where I think you may be wrong is being too harsh about the complaints about the price.  I think it's a valid complaint because the price point to get into FF just went up instead of down and we expect technology to trickle down in electronics over time,  the bleeding edge product actually goes up in price but features trickle down into lower priced products making it more affordable... question is whether FF is a feature we can reasonable expect to trickle down into a lower priced body... maybe not.   The fact remains though that it just got more expensive to get a FF body which is likely why Canon is keeping the 5D2 in production a while longer.

But let's say Canon introduces a FF 6D that uses the same sensor but cuts back on build quality, AF, fps, has only a single card slot, etc. etc. as an entry level FF body at only $2300 list price... essentially a 5D2 with the new sensor.  Would that satisfy the complaints?  Would those complaining today recognize that the 5D3 is worth $1200 more than this hypothetical 6D?

TAR

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
I think Canon justified the price with the 61point AF and the sensor. The ISO performance from that sensor is incredible. $3500 is a lot, and is certainly more than I expected but I don't think it's overpriced. It might be a tad unfortunate for us but fair. I plan on buying one as soon as I can.

seriously? 61 AF points? i would say canon just catch up with the 4 or 5 year old D300 or D700. They should have put this auto focus on 5DII not on 5D III , metering just transferred form 7D instead of 1DX. competitors were offering top of their metering and AF performance on their FF cameras, canon just use their old tech and selling it for higher prices. only improvement i see in 5d3 is ISO range and small feature set like HDR and speed. they kept the same resolution so increase in iso range justified ..but IMHO there is nothing worth 1000$ more for this camera. canon keep screwing their customers somehow every time.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
I think Canon justified the price with the 61point AF and the sensor. The ISO performance from that sensor is incredible. $3500 is a lot, and is certainly more than I expected but I don't think it's overpriced. It might be a tad unfortunate for us but fair. I plan on buying one as soon as I can.

seriously? 61 AF points? i would say canon just catch up with the 4 or 5 year old D300 or D700. They should have put this auto focus on 5DII not on 5D III , metering just transferred form 7D instead of 1DX. competitors were offering top of their metering and AF performance on their FF cameras, canon just use their old tech and selling it for higher prices. only improvement i see in 5d3 is ISO range and small feature set like HDR and speed. they kept the same resolution so increase in iso range justified ..but IMHO there is nothing worth 1000$ more for this camera. canon keep screwing their customers somehow every time.

Now, I previously thought Axilrod was being too harsh on the complaints but maybe I hadn't read through enough of them.  If this is the typical complaint then Axilrod was right.  Quit your whining.  Your complaint is way off  the mark.  If all you see is a small improvement then your eyes must be closed.  You must want the whole 1DX just in body labelled 5D3?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:56:55 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »
@Axilrod I take back my previous comments.  You're absolutely right.  +1 to you.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »
Canon 5D III is definitely not worth a single Euro or Dollar more than what Nikon charges for the D800. Overall, difference in resolution and speed even out (depending on field of photography one or the other has an edge) but D800 got AF and metering and all of the other important features top-of the line camera (D4) plus on-board flash to boot.  1/250 to 1/320s X-Sync, USB 3.0 are a given ... unlike the Canon offering, there is nothing withheld for "marketing differentiation" reasons.     

It will be interesting to see how will those two cams will sell and how prices will develop.

Currently I am more than happy with my 7D ... but if I was in the market for a 3.5k FF body the one additional feature in the 5D III I would consider a price of 3.5k to be "justified" would be a fully-functional 2012 version of Eye Control Focus (ECF). That would be a truly amazing unique selling proposition in the entire market. Helping users with every single capture  they take (except the video crowd, which is already more than taken care of).  Putting the focus precisely where you want it in a frame ... easily, instantly, intuitively! 1/500s X-sync time, USB 3.0, WIFI and wireless flash remote control built-in would round out the killer package.

THAT would truly be worth 3.5 k ... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »