August 23, 2014, 03:18:08 PM

Poll

What would make 3.5k for 5DmIII justifiable for you?

7-8fps
7 (4.9%)
28MP/5fps
4 (2.8%)
36MP/4fps
17 (11.9%)
integrated wireless
11 (7.7%)
full 1Dx AF/meter
25 (17.5%)
small tweaks (1/250+ flash sync /usb3 /lan /integrated flash / some video whatever :)
10 (7%)
nothing, i think the price is justified
69 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: What would make $3500 for 5DmIII justifiable for you?  (Read 13985 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: What would make $3500 for 5DmIII justifiable for you?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
Since I pre-ordered one, I guess the current set of features makes it justifiable for me.  In particular I had three items that were must for me:

1- AF system
2- better ISO then the mkII
3- small features like an Auto ISO functions that works in Manual mode...

The mkIII delivers on all three above so I placed the order.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Geez enough threads about the price and trying to justify paying the price. 

The problem is that too many people have waited to upgrade and now they feel like they waited for nothing, or that they should have just updated to the 5DII a year ago.  They hung on to their 30D/40D/50D/60D/7Ds patiently and assumed (incorrectly) that the 5DIII would be the exact same price as the 5DII.  Now that the 5DIII is out of their price range, they are trying to internally rationalize why it's not worth $3500, even if the simple reason is that they just can't afford it.  They are trying to marginalize it, make it seem like it's just a 5DII with improved AF, because after all, it's hard to admit "hey this thing is awesome, I've been waiting on it forever, and I can't have it."  It's much easier to tell yourself "meh, it's just a little better than the 5DII, I'm not missing out." (which makes them feel better about now having to get a 5DII).  Then the confirmation bias sits in, they only read reviews that make the 5DIII seem not that great, they ignore the praises, and before you know it they genuinely believe it's a crap camera.  They post polls talking about what would "justify the price tag."  ;)

I mean usually when people DONT want something they DONT talk about it, why should they care?  Yet I see thread after thread of people that supposedly "dont want a 5DIII because it's not worth it," yet they can't shut up about the thing.  I know it sucks that it's out of reach for some people, I mean announcement day was the closest thing to Christmas morning that an adult camera enthusiast can experience, and it's a bummer when you realize Santa didn't bring you anything.  But have patience, the price will come down and a 5DII is still an awesome, very capable camera (I'm not getting rid of mine).

Funny thing is, when many of us thought it would be $3000 or more, we were told we were out of our mind. 

I am no soothsayer, but not surprised by the price of the 5D MK III, nor the capabilities, and pretty much exactly what I expected to slightly higher... I was thinking more at $3299

Conversely, had the 5D MK III come in at $2700 I would have been surprised.  Still would not have had buyer regret, because no matter what, I would have gotten at least 6 months in with the MK II. 

But to the point, I think there is a direct relationship between price/expectation and whether people are happy or not with the announcement

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
I think Canon justified the price with the 61point AF and the sensor. The ISO performance from that sensor is incredible. $3500 is a lot, and is certainly more than I expected but I don't think it's overpriced. It might be a tad unfortunate for us but fair. I plan on buying one as soon as I can.

seriously? 61 AF points? i would say canon just catch up with the 4 or 5 year old D300 or D700. They should have put this auto focus on 5DII not on 5D III , metering just transferred form 7D instead of 1DX. competitors were offering top of their metering and AF performance on their FF cameras, canon just use their old tech and selling it for higher prices. only improvement i see in 5d3 is ISO range and small feature set like HDR and speed. they kept the same resolution so increase in iso range justified ..but IMHO there is nothing worth 1000$ more for this camera. canon keep screwing their customers somehow every time.

Yeah, you're not being fair at all. You can't have a 1Dx for $3,500. But you can have its very advanced AF system (with 26 more cross type sensors than the Nikon's system), and you get a sensor with outstanding ISO performance. You get a very good metering system, if you think it's old there could be a point to that but it certainly isn't a bad system. I have the 7D and the metering system works well. I've also heard from people that its build quality is incredible.

It's not feasible for Canon to design brand new components for every camera. Some stuff must be reused.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

TAR

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I think Canon justified the price with the 61point AF and the sensor. The ISO performance from that sensor is incredible. $3500 is a lot, and is certainly more than I expected but I don't think it's overpriced. It might be a tad unfortunate for us but fair. I plan on buying one as soon as I can.

seriously? 61 AF points? i would say canon just catch up with the 4 or 5 year old D300 or D700. They should have put this auto focus on 5DII not on 5D III , metering just transferred form 7D instead of 1DX. competitors were offering top of their metering and AF performance on their FF cameras, canon just use their old tech and selling it for higher prices. only improvement i see in 5d3 is ISO range and small feature set like HDR and speed. they kept the same resolution so increase in iso range justified ..but IMHO there is nothing worth 1000$ more for this camera. canon keep screwing their customers somehow every time.

Yeah, you're not being fair at all. You can't have a 1Dx for $3,500. But you can have its very advanced AF system (with 26 more cross type sensors than the Nikon's system), and you get a sensor with outstanding ISO performance. You get a very good metering system, if you think it's old there could be a point to that but it certainly isn't a bad system. I have the 7D and the metering system works well. I've also heard from people that its build quality is incredible.

It's not feasible for Canon to design brand new components for every camera. Some stuff must be reused.

What about Nikon D4 and D800 they both share the same core technologies ...just open ur eyes ...D800 offers more value for money this what i was trying to point out.

taxydromos

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
the new pricing policy of canon is over control.   canon 5d mark ll  3500 e  canon 24-70 f2.8 ll   2300 e
                                                                            nikon d800          2900 e   nikon 24-70 f2.8     1500 e
 canon 3500+2300=5800 e
 nikon  2900+1500=4400 e  5800-4400= 1400e  with extra 100e you can buy the nikon 14-24 f2.8 a great lense that canon has not!!. nikon d800 36mp,auto focus to f8,crop mode 1.2 and 1.5 and better qualite body. bye bye canon.                                                                               

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
@Axilrod I take back my previous comments.  You're absolutely right.  +1 to you.

Haha thank you sir, and of course what I said doesn't apply to everyone.  Some people just say "well that's too much to spend on a camera, I guess I'll pass."  You were right about me being a little harsh sometimes, and I'm working on that,  I just have very little tolerance for ignorance.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
One thing I would like to point out is that Nikon likes to nickle and dime their customers.

Each new body (regardless of where it stands in terms of hierarchy) has a feature that people want, but no other body has. You will never be fully happy with what body you have because the new one might have a feature you really want.

For example,
The D7000 had decent video. However, the D5100 received the swivel screen. Those who wanted to use the D7000 a lot for video, now found that the D5100 is better suited thanks to its screen. In order to get that feature, they have to downgrade from the D7000 and sacrifice fps, build quality, etc. Same thing happened for the D300/D90 people. The D300 had better specs overall, but the D90 introduced video. You had to buy a second body to obtain said video feature. Rather then getting a better body, they have to downgrade.

There is always some "outstanding" feature in the newer bodies that can make you upset with the body that you currently have.

On the other hand, Canon makes their camera bodies similar to one another. The features of the higher end model trickle down to the lower end models.

Take the 7D for example. They made a baby version of it as seen with the T2i when it was released. Sure the specs were reduced, but you still had the same image quality just for a much lower price. Canon's strategy seems to be to have a camera body at different price points where you don't sacrifice too many features.

I really like their approach to the 5D MK III. It is basically baby 1DX. Those who don't want to deal with the size of the body, have no need for the monster fps, or the outstanding build quality can settle for the 5D for nearly half the price. You aren't sacrificing that much if you choose one or the other.

Whereas on the Nikon side, the D4 and D800 are meant for completely different tasks. Those who are doing studio photography, would most likely want to purchase the D800. However, they are limited to just doing studio work because the measly fps and possible noise levels aren't ideal for sports and other fields of photography. Canon stuff is geared to work for nearly all fields of photography. The Canon bodies are more "versatile" in that sense.

So yes, I do think that $3500 for the 5D mk III is justifiable.

Just my two cents.
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:05 PM »
the new pricing policy of canon is over control.   canon 5d mark ll  3500 e  canon 24-70 f2.8 ll   2300 e
                                                                            nikon d800          2900 e   nikon 24-70 f2.8     1500 e
 canon 3500+2300=5800 e
 nikon  2900+1500=4400 e  5800-4400= 1400e  with extra 100e you can buy the nikon 14-24 f2.8 a great lense that canon has not!!. nikon d800 36mp,auto focus to f8,crop mode 1.2 and 1.5 and better qualite body. bye bye canon.                                                                               

Did you really create an account just for this?  You know what complaining about the price on here does for you?  NOTHING.  See ya later, have fun over at Nikon Rumors.

XanuFoto

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
I am OK with the price but would be over the moon if they threw in the battery grip.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
Funny thing is, when many of us thought it would be $3000 or more, we were told we were out of our mind. 

I am no soothsayer, but not surprised by the price of the 5D MK III, nor the capabilities, and pretty much exactly what I expected to slightly higher... I was thinking more at $3299

Conversely, had the 5D MK III come in at $2700 I would have been surprised.  Still would not have had buyer regret, because no matter what, I would have gotten at least 6 months in with the MK II. 

But to the point, I think there is a direct relationship between price/expectation and whether people are happy or not with the announcement

I agree 100%, every thread about price predictions my answer was always $3299-$3499.  Plus, we got specs a few weeks before the announcement, and everyone welcomed all of them with open arms...except the price.  It must be a mistake they said.  It must be the kit price (which would have put the body at $2500, which just seemed ridiculous).  The price really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, we knew it already, the announcement was just a confirmation.  Plus, the rumor that it would be more than $3k has been around for a while.

And the camera is awesome and while people like to compare it to the 5DII, but why not compare it to the 1DX?  It shares a lot of the same features and is $3000 cheaper!  You can look at it like it costs "that much more" than a 5DII, or that it's "that much less" than the 1DX.  I prefer the latter.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
I am OK with the price but would be over the moon if they threw in the battery grip.

Now that's one thing I agree is overpriced, $500 for a battery grip is insane.  The only difference between it and the BG-E6 is that little knob, no way that knob is worth $300. 

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »
@TAR @taxydromos

You may be right, and for you the D4 and/or D800 may be better values.  They are great cameras and Nikon will sell you one, I'm sure your money is good with them.   Canon saw their announcement before releasing the 5D3 and obviously feels that the market will accept the higher price.  If not they will offer some discounts in a few months.  A few pros on this site, I won't single them out, might actually switch (not just threaten to do so) to Nikon for the 36MP sensor... they do primarily studio work (generally controlled lighting, slow shooting, static models) and have been begging for a high MP sensor so that they don't need to move up to MF.  The 5D3 is a much better all-around camera... build, sensor, AF, metering (yes the 7D meter is great), fps, etc. are all fantastic... studio, sports, low-light, etc. are all within the 5D3 capabilities.  It's one sweet ride.   Boooooyah!

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

What about Nikon D4 and D800 they both share the same core technologies ...just open ur eyes ...D800 offers more value for money this what i was trying to point out.

They're wide open and I still disagree. I guess I'm not blinded by 36mp

They share metering and AF. That's all.

Edit: apologies if I'm being too rude. I've been dealing with my credit card company and Microsoft on a dispute all freakin' afternoon
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:28:43 PM by EYEONE »
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Rav

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
Was anyone honestly thinking the mk III would have a lower list price upon introduction than the mk II?
IMO the discussion on performance/cost will only make sense once street prices settle like for every new product...

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
While I plan to buy a 5d3 I don't see what "justifies" the price outside of aggressive business practice. For me, nothing added to it would change my feeling. I've priced products for markets, and I suspect if I had been Canon, I'd have chosen this price too. I priced aggressively. To us consumers, the $3500 seems a shock at first, but I suspect Canon's thinking takes into account:

1. A huge pent up demand that will create strong initial sales. No reason not to milk this and lower the price over time as demand slows -- if it does slow.

2. A sub-$3k price would probably have meant turnover of nearly the entire 5D2 populace, and I don't think they can produce at that level. So, you price a lot of people out at $3500 and give them a 5D2 alternative. That keeps demand at manageable levels that can match profit forecasts. In reality, both products can create images better than what 95% of users need.

So, "justified" doesn't work for me, but I think I understand their motives. We'll agree to disagree, I'll buy the product and we'll both go on our way.

I quoted Benny because that's pretty much my thinking -- as it was when I bought a T2i at half the price (or less) than a 7D two years ago. Obviously, you don't get close to the AF and speed of the 7D with a T2i, but for someone coming back into photography, it was an excellent first DSLR. It gave me a great Canon DSLR education, and I still contend it can take excellent pictures. It also gave me time to acquire some better lenses than I already had with the intent of moving up.

The 5D3 has as much of the 1Dx as I could reasonably need or want. While I'd love to go to the streets with a 1Dx, I can't afford it, and it has far more capability than I need or will ever need. The 5D3, like the Goldilocks porridge, is "just right" for me.

To me, the 5D3 is really most of a 1Dx for a lot less money.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...