October 21, 2014, 09:47:37 PM

Author Topic: The Canon High End [CR2]  (Read 16488 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Canon High End [CR2]
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:44 AM »
1D Mark IV Replacement? A known source that has been right in the past sent me some info that is nothing like anything I’ve been told before.

It’s claimed the new “1″ series camera in 2011 will be a 1D4 replacement and not a new 1Ds. Full frame and slightly lower megapixels (15). Obvious improvements in ISO performance and other minor tweaks.

A short lived “1″ series camera has only happened once in the past with the 1D Mark IIn.

This also goes along with the notion that the next 1Ds would be a massive departure from what we have now.

5D Mark III The same person also touched on the 5D Mark III saying it would be slightly higher megapixel than the current 21mp, and offer an AF system in line with the 7D.

When? I’ve been told a couple of times all SLR announcements from Canon will be in the second half of 2011.

CR’s Take I’m posting this because it’s from someone that’s been on the ball in the past. However, I’m skeptical about a 1D Mark IV replacement coming that quickly. Hopefully I get more information.

The 5D Mark III is probably easier to predict, I expect better AF, more megapixels and some new features.

cr

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:52:40 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Canon High End [CR2]
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:44 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The Canon High End [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:07 AM »
But will the autofocus for the new 1D work for sports photography?

Tov

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • tovergaauw
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »

Finally a bit of good news! Thanks, was already looking at Nikon but now will wait and hopefully see.
AE-1+winder.

Bob Howland

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
A 15-MP FF 1DMkIV is very good news indeed. But there is a place for a high end APS-C crop sports camera. I shoot primarily with a 5D but use a 40D for outdoor sports in bright light. A couple of wedding photographers I know shoot primarily with D700's but also own a D300 both as a backup and for those occasions requiring more reach. Maybe Canon will move the 7D even further up-market and reduce the pixel count to 12-14MP.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »
Maybe Canon will move the 7D even further up-market and reduce the pixel count to 12-14MP.

That will probably happen right after pigs fly through snowstorms in hell.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
Are we still thinking Canon will go medium format, maybe the 1Ds Mk III replacement will be MF?
with the 1D Mk IV staying APS-H, that would create a non level playing feild for Nikon.

If this happened then only the 5dMk2 would be using the full image circle of the EF lenses!

I've seen little excitement about the 60D so the 7D needs to step upto the mark of other APS-c camera's

It also still seems like a EOS6D with a APS-H (or anything else between FF & APS-C, maybe APS-J?) sensor would be an interesting exercise to seperate SLR's from top end APS-c compacts and give us a reason to focus on improving our EF L glass collection.

Canon have alreadt proved they can do really great sensors with the 1D Mk IV.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

stark-arts

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
it makes No Sense for a lower MP 1d5 when it's going to FF - the bigger sensor with the current MP makes sense or even going up to 21 and having a "crop mode" for sports but going full frame and lowering MP makes little sense in real world as well as little sense in Canon world...
The D4 will be out sometime next year and it will be at least 16 - i just can't imagine Canon going from being som much more MP to less on purpose....

Running two Digic 5 (i know it's not real yet) would allow 7-8 at 21mp with a crop mode that allows 10-11 at 14 or so if my guesstimation is right (based on a 1.3 or 1.5 crop mode....should be about a third less right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »
i think this rumor is pure b*llsh*t.

not even worth discussing about.

Gothmoth

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »
Are we still thinking Canon will go medium format, maybe the 1Ds Mk III replacement will be MF?

no... makes no sense for canon.

canon will mabye enter the MF some day... but that will have nothing to do with the 1D line.
what i have heard for the 1D line (but don´t count on it) from a friend who works for zeiss is that canon is working on a modular DSLR camera like the ricoh compacts.
that means a exchangeable back for different sensors.

I've seen little excitement about the 60D so the 7D needs to step upto the mark of other APS-c camera's

well the internet is full of dumbos who complain and complain.
so i would not give much about the excitement you see or see not on the internet.
i can tell you that the 60d sells like sliced bread here in germany.

what many people would like is a aps-h or FF camera for around 1400 euros.
i (my family) have a store  and we are constantly asked if nikon or canon will produce such cameras.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:54:13 AM by Gothmoth »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
15 MP does see a little low for a full frame camera, even compensating for better ISO performance.

The 5D Mark II came out more than 2 years ago with 21 MP.  Surely technology has increased a little bit over that time period.  For a high end professional camera, it seems low, unless it was strictly a sports only camera.  But then why make it full frame?

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
Think about it.

A new camera with a 1D body and FF sensor that outperforms the 1Ds3 is defacto the replacement for the 1Ds3.

You can try to call it something else (1D5) but that doesn't change how it fits into the line-up.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »
Sounds like 2011 is a good year to invest in lenses and wait to see how the body lineup shakes out ... I will be shooting mostly the 5DII and renting until a 5D3 drops (with improved AF being an absolute requisite).  Otherwise... not sure.  I think either MF 1D series or modular 1D series sounds like a wild stretch

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
I don't think Canon would reduce the MP on a 1D4 replacement just to make it FF, they also wouldn't replace it after a little more than 1 year unless there were serious problems with the body.  Since the body appears to still be selling well, I don't think this is the case.  If this is real, I think it would be a new addition to the lineup, not an update.  Also a FF 1D5 would still be a $5K camera, Nikon has already proven that a fast FF camera doesn't have to cost that much.....

On another note, I find it hard to believe they still can't push 20+ MP FF images @ 10 fps through their digic processors, I'd be really disappointed if they still can't do this in 2011, I expect dual core digic5 procs next year or quad digic4s.  Canon must surely realize that they are losing the tech race even though they're more than likely still meeting their sales goals.  The dynamic range improvements from Pentax on their crop bodies + the across the board high ISO spanking they're taking from Nikon has got to sting a little.

I expect something big from Canon in 2011....
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »

lrivero

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Would the 5D3 be to high end to add a swivel screen to?

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
As I've been saying all along, the next high-end camera from Canon will be the 1DV.

It's highly unlikely that it will be 15mp, though. Expect 24-30mp full-frame.

Don't forget that Nikon's D4 is due next year and also that Nikon executives have publicly stated that Nikon will not be focused just on ISO anymore.
Translation - the D4 will most likely have 20+ megapixels.

Canon, the king of the megapixel, will not have a lower resolution competitor to the D4.
That's the one thing that can be claimed with absolute certainty about the 1DV.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:02:18 PM by x-vision »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »