April 17, 2014, 05:40:56 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.  (Read 31760 times)

iso79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
^That's a good one. I still can't believe in the set of samples Canon choose. How can the Japanese be so good at making cameras, but so bad at photography?

Because engineers and marketing people aren't photographers.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
I have the 5d3 preordered, but I do see the soft-ness people are talking about. But I also believe we haven't seen an image from a final version of the camera. There could be a million and one reasons why the pictures are one way or another. Who really knows but Canon is a large org with millions of dollars in R&D /Marketing / Production etc behind this camera and I doubt they would let something released that really would have this big of a problem.

Applying this same reasoning you'd think they'd know how to produce decent samples..

At least that guy from the review above knows how to take a decent shot.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
^That's a good one. I still can't believe in the set of samples Canon choose. How can the Japanese be so good at making cameras, but so bad at photography?

Because engineers and marketing people aren't photographers.
Even my 86 years old grandpa can see the softness on those images, they don't have to be photographers to check whether the image is soft or not

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Even my 86 years old grandpa can see the softness on those images, they don't have to be photographers to check whether the image is soft or not

haha...  the images are noticeably soft, even when compared to the 5D2.

Gkaz

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
From what I remember, when I got my Canon Mark II, the jpegs were soft until I increased the sharp setting in camera. It was said at the time that the Mark II images resembled close to raw in jpeg settings and had a soft look. The images needed sharpening and they turned out fine once I sharpened them. I was awfully paranoid at first. I'm guessing the 5D Mark III is no different. unsharpened Raws and normal jpeg settings are going to net softer looking photos until post production corrections are made or high sharpen camera settings are applied.

etg9

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
I don't think it would be that hard for them to release softer images and change the default softness vs noise via a firmware update once they've had a couple thousand people pay to beta test it for them (me included). I agree that they look softer than I would like but the JPEG of the fisherman at 12,800 looks very useable for web which is a lot more than I can say for the 5d MKII.

Orion

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
I'll post here what I posted in another thread:

I was going to preorder from weither Henrys or Vistek, but I have decided to wait for in store shopping instead . . I figure it is best to do these things like we did in the good ol days of shopping, and NOT let the manufactureers brainwash us with marketing genious and hype . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My advice for Nikon and Canon shooters: do not rpeorder! wait for an actual release and then decide what's best. See for yourselves what is the best system for you and see if all the negatives you read about in the www are true or misleading or simply, whatever they are, a result of morons reaching conclusions where there need not be one so hastily.

Don't listen to the "fro Knows" moron who says stuff like "I know a guy that used it hands on. . ." yet he's the one making the danmed video "review."

. . . and for Pete's sake stop looking at all these online samples of ISO this and ISO that. . . . this is soft and that is soft. . .

. . . just wait to get your own hands on the damn thing and take some test shots in the store and see how the camera responds to YOU.

I'm through with this online shindig!

P.S> the Brant Stirton images . . . what a poor excuse for samples! The faulty focus on the oysters, and on the 2 men working the nets . . . don't waste my time, Mr. Pro! NEw AF on final production model?????? Well then use the damn new AF, or stay home next time!!

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/32165/canon-5d-mark-iii-test/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »

ashe

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Have you guys used the Comparometer at the Imaging Resource yet?

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Compare the 5DII to the 5DIII... there is no question that the 5DIII is superior

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »

Compare the 5DII to the 5DIII... there is no question that the 5DIII is superior

Definitely!

Some one posted a comparo earlier from the IR site - but for some reason the thread was pulled.  Dunno why.   :-\

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2012, 02:11:20 AM »

Yes but only by not more than two-thirds of stop. The comparator there has some issues in that it is comparing the 5D2 and the 5D3 using images that were converted with a different converter using entirely different settings. Download the RAW files and process using identical settings and the results look a lot closer. Nothing between them at lower ISOs, perhaps two-thirds of a stop advantage to the 5D3 at higher ISOs. Hard to say for sure since ACR may not treat the two cameras on an even basis and the ISO ratings may not be a match. So the final result might differ a little bit, perhaps doing a half stop worse or better than that compared to the 5D2.

RedEye

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
Maybe it's me or my monitor is bias, but the Nikon D800 samples appear rather flat and without contrast compared to the 5Diii samples.  The nikon photos almost appear better if I zoom in a bit, and so this is probably the effect of having a 36MP photo on a 23" 1920x1200 monitor. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »