April 17, 2014, 01:09:58 AM

Author Topic: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.  (Read 31755 times)

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
I do expect the nikon to produce more technically impressive RAWs but I expect the canon to offer some more latitude in difficult shooting conditions.

However, I think it is silly to compare them on their respective strong points. Many canon fanboys will chant: "see, at ISO 51K, it blows the D800 out of the water". Only to be greeted with nikon fanboys please to remind them that "well, at ISO 400, it shoots the 5DmkIII out of the sky".

The 5DIII can't match the detail of the nikon, period. get over it. It wasn't meant to do that. Just as the D800 wasn't meant to be a night vision camera and it will be a poor tool for that.

A more relevant comparison would be on how much these cameras can do to offset their drawbacks. For instance, will the cleaner images of the 5DIII record more detail? or will the scaled down images of the D800 show less perceived noise.

That's more interesting than creating a comparison where you know who the winner is before you started.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »

dafrank

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Just seeing the sample images (and I'm not giving conclusion) I admit.

All the sample I've seen from the 5D3 looks way too soft. It can be 2 things : First is post prod NR. Second is 5D3 NR. If It's the 5D3 NR they use it wayyyy too much.
Ok nice, you see no noise at 1600 ISO or even 6400 but it ruin the quality.

Aside from the possible bad judgment and/or low talent of the people Canon chose to shoot their samples, I've come to almost the same conclusion as you have, but I'm just not quite as sure as you are, and I would like to see images from raw, shot by a good photographer and processed in DPP by a good craftsman before I could be. If, under those conditions, the results from raws look great, then I'd have to say that Canon has rolled up a big fat fail with its 5DIII in-camera Jpg processing.

But, there is another possiblity that is something I have deduced from the available specs and samples, plus statements by those associated by Canon with the 5DIII release. It's possible that Canon, in order to satisfy the potential video users of this camera who had previously complained about the bad aliasing and moire on 5DIII video, has used a much stronger AA filter on this camera to help cure it, and that the softness you see in the released Jpegs is mostly from this. There are two other points that can support this. One is that Canon is offering the unprecedented function of supposedly deconstructing the effect of the AA filter in the latest version of its raw software converter, DPP, to be released with the camera. Why do this now, unless it is especially relevant to the 5DIII? Although this might be their software answer to the Nikon D800 without AA filter, I doubt Canon could have developed this software function in the short time after which they likely learned of Nikon's plans. Also, in looking at many of the Canon 5DII samples, I noted an unusually low level of moire in many of the samples, several of which I know would certainly have displayed some level of moire if shot with my 1DsIII. I hope I am wrong about this, but I am afraid that I may well be correct in my deduction.

Second, as I look to the image, it look photoshoped! In some of them I can see clearly bad photoshop!
I think that we really have to wait unofficial pictures.

Most likely what you are seeing, and I too, at first, suspected as possibly some sort of horrible Photoshop work, is rather the awful effects of using the new in-camera HDR function, which, at different settings results in effects that range from bad to absolutely pathetic. This function needs either to be vastly improved or deleted from the firmware ASAP.

Regards,
David

Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

candyman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »

I think that we really have to wait unofficial pictures.

Regards,
David

+1
Photos from the final productionmodel with the final firmware
5D III  |  6D  |  16-35L II  |  24-70 VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  135L  |  1.4ext III  |  GPS GP-E2

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
It's drama for me. There is nothing to compare with D800. I waited for 5D3, having a 5 lens from Canon, but now I decided to sell it and switch, unfortunately.

goodbye!
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

foobar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
Yeah but the issue here is sharpness... and they seem to be pretty sharp.
It's okay but it's far from mindblowing. Whenever artificial light in involved and you can shoot at base ISO with the lens stopped down a bit, you can get that kind of sharpness even with a rebel and a kit lens. Seriously.

In fact Canon's sample image actually seems a bit soft to me. That might be caused by diffraction (shot at f/16), the RAW converter settings or the JPG compression.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the 5D3. It's just that I've seen sharper pictures from lesser setups and therefore don't think this image does the camera justice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:02:14 PM by foobar »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
Either way, both companies should be ashamed with the quality of photography skill demonstrated in these samples. Half the people on this site could do better. 

SK

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
I'm assuming you are comparing sample images from canon website and nikon website.

D800 images are 20mb jpeg and 5D3 images are 5~10mb jpeg.

I agree that 5D3 images seem too soft, but still I won't change to Nikon just after comparing sample images...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Either way, both companies should be ashamed with the quality of photography skill demonstrated in these samples. Half the people on this site could do better.

Thats what struck me also. Its like they wanna promote their 5D mk iii to be like some newbie photographers first camera. Sample images look kinda....like..well....random snap shots. They should show off whats really possible with this camera. The camera is geared towards the more "pro" people i think. People who are willing to spend lots of money on their cameras. Im not sure if some photos of leafs or drinking glasses are gonna make an impression really in the targeted audience..  ;D

EIREHotspur

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
...and the opening line in a new DSLRs for Dummies would go a kinda like this.....

...The Canon 5D2 sold by the bucketload.....the Canon 5D3 is the update to that camera....

Don't you all think that the 5D3 has to be an improvement on that?

Have seen some spectacular shots from the 5D2 over the years.

Look the Canon people chose 4 guys on bikes in a warehouse to showcase their new cashcow.....you cannot judge the camera until you see some independant users get their hands on it.

I preordered yesterday.

rj79in

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »

Thats what struck me also. Its like they wanna promote their 5D mk iii to be like some newbie photographers first camera. Sample images look kinda....like..well....random snap shots. They should show off whats really possible with this camera. The camera is geared towards the more "pro" people i think. People who are willing to spend lots of money on their cameras. Im not sure if some photos of leafs or drinking glasses are gonna make an impression really in the targeted audience..  ;D

Totally agree ... most people who will be buying the III will either be semi-pro / pro knowing a thing or two about photography. Canon should've known that the prospective buyers would have an discerning eye when it posted the sample pictures which, in all fairness can be bettered by a number of low end models in the Canon roster.

Why these samples? Who holds the answers? Probably some marketing guy wielding a powershot / coolpix.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:51 PM »
For those looking to compare bodies/images, I agree with other posters who recommend waiting for the final versions to hit the market before doing serious analysis.

And while I admit that I am very impressed with the d800's low ISO images (they really are amazing), I suggest some of you check out the high ISO samples over at DP Review.  The 6400 is incredible and will certainly be printable at larger sizes with some minimal NR applied...

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-low-light-iso-samples

6400 -  http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1779794.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1330975364&Signature=ewGdJM%2f87buRe3mBO3dtota8ruA%3d

12800 is more than useable - http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1779795.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1330975263&Signature=b8czTmYoKCfKEI97z4qsGsP3JSI%3d

It looks like the d800 and 5D3 will satisfy two separate markets.  I almost see the d800 as a high rez landscape camera, whereas the 5D3 will be an event, concert, portrait, and wedding photographer's dream.  In my opinion, those high ISOs will set the 5D3 apart from any other dSLR in the price range. 

altenae

• Rebel T5i
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
Also like to see a CRISP 100 ISO image.
I also like to use the 5D MK III with 100 ISO also  ;)

Maybe it's not NR but a strong AA filter ??

I guess we have to wait and see....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Look the Canon people chose 4 guys on bikes in a warehouse to showcase their new cashcow.....you cannot judge the camera until you see some independant users get their hands on it.
Nice

I envisioned Canon engineers being let out of a giant hamster cage ,  then told they have 1 hour to shoot something for the website. And if they don't return and upload the pictures in 1 hour,  their explosive collars will surely detonate.   :o

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
Are we forgetting the lens?
Just looked at the picture of the woman in red. It's probably more about the lens (24-70 2.8L) it looks exactly the same as what my 1D IV delivers with than particular lens. Same soft-ish look. Running it through my sharpening routines it looks fine.
I don't see any real evidence of heavy noise reduction, maybe some retouching on the face of the model, but not anywhere else.
When not pixel peeping at 100% it is fine too.

I've scaled down and sharpened these (cropped the tiger), I think it looks pretty good. Originals:

Tiger: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/downloads/14.jpg
Woman in red: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/downloads/08.jpg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:12:07 PM by RuneL »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »