July 22, 2014, 12:34:08 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.  (Read 33671 times)

caMARYnon

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
5D mkII - P&S S45; 35 f2 IS; 100 f2.8L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 24-105 f4L IS; 1,4x III; 430EX II; 270EX

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Nikon D800 vs Canon 5d3 sample images.
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2012, 03:08:33 AM »

CTR

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:14 AM »
The 5D3 must have an aggressive AA filter, high jpeg compression or strong in camera noise reduction even at low ISO.

The 5D, known for it's per pixel sharpness: 

12.1MP, 9.4MB, ISO 100, 1/500, F8, conversion from RAW:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos5d/downloads/landscape.jpg

5D3:

22MP, 9MB, ISO 100, 1/160, F11
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/downloads/05.jpg

I wonder why Canon decided to go with jpegs instead of RAW conversions as they did with the original 5D1.  The RAW conversions looks much more impressive.  The difference is striking.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:46 AM »
just don't believe there is any real world difference....  except maybe for those that like to photograph those target thingys...

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »
Well, if we are talking about the pictures on canon site and the one on the nikon site, i may say they are quite different. Most of the nikon are taken f8 to gain dept of field and increse detail. Nikon maximum ISO setting is 640.
Most of the canon portrait are wider than 2.8 with iso reaching 3200.
Nikon pictures are taken in studio, the canon are close to the pictures anyone can take. Don't think there are any pictures really comparable.
The nikon bride is 640 ISO f4.5, the ones on the canon sites are wider and/or higer ISO.
Actually the canon bride @ 7.1 is quite good to be shot at 3200 ISO.
And last but not least, tiger are jpg generated by the on camera raw converter.
Think that most of the people complaining for the lack of sharpness are better wait for more pictures...
Diego
I think you're right on the money here.

So far my favorite of the images is the f/11, ISO 100 shot from the TS-E 90 (the still life with cherries and raspberries).  It looks about like what I'd expect for that lens, although there is still sharpness lost, which is odd.  Should be early for diffraction to be detectable, I think.  It is not a new lens design, though.

Brad Trent

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
G-dammit... this is really starting to chap my ass, and it's already starting to catch fire...Did I just make a bad decision with my 5D3 preorder? I want to cry.  :'(

Wow! Nothing like getting buyers remorse ten seconds after you order the thing.

You guys kill me! I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why anybody would order a new camera without even seeing (let alone test) the damn thing. Especially if there is no compelling reason to do so other than having bragging rights on an online forum. And double that if the buyer doesn't even make a living at photography! For a weekend warrior to kick up the kind of money the new 5D costs based on a spec sheet is baffling, especially considering some of the simply awful first-run issues that have come up in the past with Canon's 'Top Shelf' cameras. Doesn't anybody here remember the focus problems Canon had with the 1D series?!! Or the black dots in the highlights of the 5dmkii?!! Yes...things can get fixed with software upgrades down the road, but why would you wanna take a chance that this new body is gonna be 100% out of the blocks when the downside is that you end up with (possibly) sh¡tty pictures?!!

You want my advice? Take a step back and let some other guy be the crash test dummy. Then, a few months later, after all the kinks have been ironed out and there have been enough real-world tests of the thing, knock yourself out! Oh, why am I bothering? The type of person who throws $3500 bucks after an unseen, untested camera is likely the same kind of guy who will wait for a week in the rain to be the first kid on his block with the latest version of "Call of Duty"......

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »

You guys kill me! I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why anybody would order a new camera without even seeing (let alone test) the damn thing. Especially if there is no compelling reason to do so other than having bragging rights on an online forum. And double that if the buyer doesn't even make a living at photography! For a weekend warrior to kick up the kind of money the new 5D costs based on a spec sheet is baffling, especially considering some of the simply awful first-run issues that have come up in the past with Canon's 'Top Shelf' cameras. Doesn't anybody here remember the focus problems Canon had with the 1D series?!! Or the black dots in the highlights of the 5dmkii?!! Yes...things can get fixed with software upgrades down the road, but why would you wanna take a chance that this new body is gonna be 100% out of the blocks when the downside is that you end up with (possibly) sh¡tty pictures?!!

You want my advice? Take a step back and let some other guy be the crash test dummy. Then, a few months later, after all the kinks have been ironed out and there have been enough real-world tests of the thing, knock yourself out! Oh, why am I bothering? The type of person who throws $3500 bucks after an unseen, untested camera is likely the same kind of guy who will wait for a week in the rain to be the first kid on his block with the latest version of "Call of Duty"......

Seriously... What do you care what other people do with THEIR OWN money?  You don't know anyone else's financial status so why pretend like you know better than them?  If a photographer is that unsatisfied with the AF on the 5D2 (as I am), and has been clamoring for such an improvement for more than 3 years - why knock them if they have the money to spend on a better system?

So now everyone here is a "weekend warrior"?  No one on this forum actually "makes a living" from photography?  Just because you can't - doesn't mean there aren't plenty of us who are.

You want my advice?  Maybe you should stop projecting and try contributing a little more.

Brad Trent

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »

Seriously... What do you care what other people do with THEIR OWN money?  You don't know anyone else's financial status so why pretend like you know better than them?  If a photographer is that unsatisfied with the AF on the 5D2 (as I am), and has been clamoring for such an improvement for more than 3 years - why knock them if they have the money to spend on a better system?

So now everyone here is a "weekend warrior"?  No one on this forum actually "makes a living" from photography?  Just because you can't - doesn't mean there aren't plenty of us who are.

You want my advice?  Maybe you should stop projecting and try contributing a little more.

OK...I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings with my reply, but allow me to clear up a few things that you said...

First off, what anybody does with their own money is their own business. I merely suggested that instead of getting caught up in the wave of pre-release publicity and making a rash decision, it might be wise to consider the previous history of similar releases before throwing your money after an untested camera. And honestly, you were the one moaning about whether you made the right decision by pre-ordering! I'm not jumping up and down about the 5DII's focusing either, but I'm not gonna take Canon's word that they've got the new model ready for the Big Show before I can actually see for myself!

And don't confuse my "weekend warrior" comment to mean that I don't think there are plenty of working pros on this forum. I never said that. If you re-read what I wrote, I meant that unless you were a professional photographer, it would be especially foolish to upgrade to the new camera if your business didn't depend on taking the considerable leap of faith and assume the newer version is going to be better than the current 5D.

Finally, if we're gonna talk about who's 'projecting' here, I'm not the one worried about the money he just spent on a camera that may or may not meet his expectations. If you wanna stick up for the 5DmkIII, fine, but don't get mad at others who might not entirely agree with you...

BT

PS: Oh yeah...almost forgot about that "...Just because you can't..." thing....but I do just fine, thanks for asking.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
Finally, if we're gonna talk about who's 'projecting' here, I'm not the one worried about the money he just spent on a camera that may or may not meet his expectations. If you wanna stick up for the 5DmkIII, fine, but don't get mad at others who might not entirely agree with you...

I'm not worried - I just like bitching.  Hang around here a while... you'll see.   :P

And for you to have to write that much to explain your rant, it says quite a bit more about your prejudgements of other photographers than it does about me.  Just sayin'.

Carry on...

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
Another set of samples...

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/32165/canon-5d-mark-iii-test/

You be the judge.

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
^That's a good one. I still can't believe in the set of samples Canon choose. How can the Japanese be so good at making cameras, but so bad at photography?   

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
^That's a good one. I still can't believe in the set of samples Canon choose. How can the Japanese be so good at making cameras, but so bad at photography?

And driving haha  8)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »

Call me kooky - but I don't see anything in that image that appears to be in proper focus.  Maybe his right cheek?  Or the bridge of his nose?

I still think Canon has put WAY too much NR on it's in-camera JPGs.  Almost to the point of them being unusable.  If I gave that photo to a client - they'd demand a refund.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

Call me kooky - but I don't see anything in that image that appears to be in proper focus.  Maybe his right cheek?  Or the bridge of his nose?

I still think Canon has put WAY too much NR on it's in-camera JPGs.  Almost to the point of them being unusable.  If I gave that photo to a client - they'd demand a refund.

If i'm not mistaken the same thing was said about the Canon 5d Mark 2 when it was first released...  Reviewers even said the NR went so far as smearing the details and that along with the black dots issues gave the 5d2 a steep hill to climb but soon enough after real world samples came out the negative noise all but went away and the 5d2 became heralded with having one of the best IQ's out there... That being said, the settings used such as in-camera sharpening, etc is also unknown, and being jpegs, that is very important to know.  I wouldn't panic until we see production samples from real world photographer shooting en mass.  Then we will see the true capabilities with this camera and the D800 for that matter. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »

ippikiokami

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
I have the 5d3 preordered, but I do see the soft-ness people are talking about. But I also believe we haven't seen an image from a final version of the camera. There could be a million and one reasons why the pictures are one way or another. Who really knows but Canon is a large org with millions of dollars in R&D /Marketing / Production etc behind this camera and I doubt they would let something released that really would have this big of a problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »