December 21, 2014, 08:32:12 AM

Author Topic: extenders: 1st generation canon ef 1.4x versus third generation (ef 1.4x III)  (Read 4820 times)

hb04103

Hello, does anyone know what the difference between canon's first generation 1.4x externder and their latest version 1.4x III is? And has this difference a visible effect on IQ?
Thanks for sharing your insight!

canon rumors FORUM

hb04103

Thanks! And what about the difference between version 1 and 2 of the ef 1.4x extender?

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Thanks! And what about the difference between version 1 and 2 of the ef 1.4x extender?

Version II is the same optically as version I, but it adds weather seal.  Version II of the 2X had a optics change plus weather seal.

Version III had new optics for both, and doubled the price.  I'd only upgrade if I had a New Big white at $10K and more, its pocket change.  If buying new, its your choice.

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I had version I for a year and a half and just bought vIII.  Noticably better image quality with my 400mm f2.8 IS (version I), especially in the corners.  I've also used it with my 300mm f5 IS, but can't says as I've really looked at photos side by side like I did with the 400.

Before buying I used the comparison tool at The Digital picture to get an idea if i'd see an improvement.  They showed an improvement with both the 2X and 1.4X version IIIs, and that is what i found when I bought them. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:51:59 PM by TexPhoto »

drummstikk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Version II is the same optically as version I, but it adds weather seal.

In addition to weather seal, version II of the 1.4X also added an improved black anti-reflective coating to the inside of the converter barrel, which could have some positive effect on image quality in adverse lighting conditions, such as shooting into the sun.

My original version 1.4X is my oldest piece of Canon equipment at almost 20 years old. I would not let go of it, but my relatively infrequent use of it does not really justify an upgrade.
"Focused. Or focused not. There is no 'almost.'"

--Yoda (paraphrase)

canon rumors FORUM