September 20, 2014, 10:39:41 PM

Author Topic: Buying from overseas  (Read 1732 times)

ruuneos

Buying from overseas
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:33 AM »
How does the warranty works when you order products from overseas?
Like in bodies, lenses, accessories, etc. does it work like normal warranty or just got "Warranty US only" things in all products?

canon rumors FORUM

Buying from overseas
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:15:33 AM »

Drama79

Re: Buying from overseas
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
unsure. I think Canon will service a global warranty under a year, but in proving purchase origin, it might get sticky. I'd just lie and say you're internationally on location, and need the camera shipped there and back within the "two weeks you are there" (!) that would probably keep them happy. As long as you can prove you bought it, it shouldn't be an issue.

As for extended warranties, I think international purchase means you don't get the chance.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
the risk you take...  my local camera shop will always tell me about warranties and servicing when i try and get them to price match...

l0pht

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »
Where are you overseas and are you with the military?

ruuneos

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Yeah, everybody says that same thing in stores but they keep just so high prices like compare the BG-E7 price.
Local store - 255€ = $337
B&H - $169.95 = 128€
= 127€ ( $168 ) difference in price and that is damn much.

So I like to know how warranty system works, really like to order somewhere else equipment.

Ok let's take another sample EF 70-200mm f2.8 II lens
Local store - SALE 2099€ = $2 774
B&H - $2299 = 1 739€
= 360€ difference and that is damn much money and that huge difference in price and taking note that local store price is SALE price normal price is almost 3000€ what makes in $4000.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
How does the warranty works when you order products from overseas?
Like in bodies, lenses, accessories, etc. does it work like normal warranty or just got "Warranty US only" things in all products?

It Depends on where you live and where you buy.  Canon USA and Canon Canada honor warranties fwhen bought from a authorized Dealer in the US or Canada.  They may also, but not always honor a warranty from a authorized dealer anywhere in the world.  You must have the original receipt, the warranty card is not sufficient.

I'm sure that you will hear peoples experiences from different countries, and they may seem to contradict each other, thats because Canon is not always consistent from their different divisions around the world, each one has its own policy.

ruuneos

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
Well I'm from Finland

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
I believe that the European Union has rules regulating warranties, it can result in a better warranty than the 1 year US warranty. 

Maybe someone knowledgable with the specifics can comment.  If you buy from the USA, you might have to return it for repairs and pay postage both ways, but a receipt from a Authorized dealer should help get service in Europe.  Its frustrating to have to deal with this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »