October 01, 2014, 04:25:24 AM

Author Topic: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?  (Read 14679 times)

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
Bring back some ISO 3200 & 6400 RAWs for use to play with!!

Please ask them why not USB3?

Wish I could get to Focus, think it's going to me manic.... enjoy ;D
Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

FotoTeach

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
Please ask Canon how they can justify the large price increases over their previous bodies and lenses, and so much more than their lead competitor, Nikon? Also, does Canon now feel the Video Market is more important than the needs of Still Professional Photographers, ie. Studio/Wedding, Landscape, and Fine Art? Each of my fellow Professional's is shocked by the new prices, again because of the Nikon D800 specs and prices.   

WarStreet

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be magnified for manual focusing.

simonhowes, thanks for this opportunity.

(1) Please ask them if the the movie crop feature is available, or if it will be available in the future by a firmware upgrade for the 5DIII.  In the specs, they have mentioned the movie crop indirectly by the sentence quoted above by TiMovie, but there was no direct reference of it anywhere.

(2) Will it be possible that we might see f8 focusing in a future firmware update ?

Thanks !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:19:19 PM by WarStreet »

StudioTan

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
1.  I didn't see this in the specs, but maybe it's there?  Even though there is no uncompressed HDMI output, will it store uncompressed video on the cards?

2.  Shoot video with fast back and forth panning and bring it back.

3.  Bring back various RAW images at varying ISOs in varying lighting conditions (if possible).

I'm waiting and will decide between this and the D800.  I have no glass and will be doing 50% video, 50% stills mostly indoors with fast action, and occasional landscapes.  Also, audio/video syncing is very important as I do a lot of bands/concerts with separate high quality audio.

Thanks

fs454

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
One thing we haven't been demonstrated yet:High-ISO video performance.

ISO 25600 stills look incredible for what they're worth, but again we're looking at JPEGs.

I'd love to be able to see how ISO 3200, 6400, 12800, and 25600 1080p video looks. I've been able to push my 5D to 1600 and have usable footage but for anything serious I wouldn't tip it any higher than that. I want to know what that limit is on the 5D3...if possible.

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
One simple question, please.
Will the MK ll grip work on the MK lll ?

Thanks

( also, will the MK lll viewfinder be free of AF boxes on the focusing screen ? )

tt

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
Bring back some ISO 3200 & 6400 RAWs for use to play with!!

Please ask them why not USB3?

Wish I could get to Focus, think it's going to me manic.... enjoy ;D
Thanks

USB3 upgrade at least can be done via a USB3 card reader :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
I will be attending Focus tomorrow, where Canon will be showing the 1Dx and 5D III to trade. I'll also get my hands on a D800 and D4.

Anyone have any questions they may want answering by the reps?

I don't know if they will answer of if the reps will even have the info but how about:

Did they improve the ISO 100 dynamic range over the 5D2?
Did they take care to lessen pattern banding in low ISO shadows?
Did they lessen high ISO banding? (tentatively, looking at samples, it seems the answer might be yes)
How many stops better SNR at high ISO in RAW compared to the 5D2?

Does the AF system run AI Servo using the same CPU and thus same speed as the 1DX does (or at least the same speed regardless of what they use to drive it)?

Does it allow EC in all AutoISO modes?

Is the histogram outlined (currently you can't easily see where it tops out when you are outside under bright sun)?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:23:10 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
Oh and is there a crop mode for movies? (it can be hard to get close to wildlife)

And if you can bring back RAW files then bring these two back:
set the camera to ISO 100 then

1. set camera to 1/8000th, if you are allowed remove lens and put on lens cap, try to keep camera as dark as you can and snap a total black frame (maybe bring a spare body cap if you can, a lens cap of various sizes if you can), it really needs to be a pitch black frame taken, no light leakage at all (maybe a lens cap on the lens combined with ISO100 and 1/8000th would be good enough if you also shield it with your body/shirt, if a lens is on the body it can't be faster than f/2.8 or it will, for sure, mess up the results due to secret boosts they apply to RAW files for fast lenses to make up for certain issues with how microlenses and all behave)

2. set the camera to a long enough shutter speed so that a nice solid chunk of an image you take is 100% utterly blown out in all channels, blow out for sure by a mile

With those two files and assuming IRIS will be able to at least partially open the files then we can find out the ISO 100 dynamic range, SNR, and pattern banding characteristics and we will then know if they are still stuck at 11ish stops DR or if they have approached or attained the 13.8 stops of the Sony/Nikon Exmor sensors. And if the ugly banding at low ISO is less or not.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:22:32 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

tt

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
From trying them today -

EDIT  - I haven't seen this mentioned and it'd be really useful for a lot of folks - If you have one, put a fast glass like 85mm 1.2 or a 50mm 1.2 and see what the focus is like.
There's a thread about focusing screens - excluding the manual focus folk, it'd be useful to see how the 5D responds to fast glass - can it consistently shoot? They should let you change lens, choose the right/quieter queue camera or sound like you're interesting in buying and they'll push a sale and maybe let you try it. Should know in 3-4 weeks, but this is a great opportunity!

The 1DX and 5D MkIII are on different stands, on metal security cables.

You're not going to get a card sneaked into the 5D i'd imagine seeing as there will be a few Canon employees a foot or so away from you. Not sure about testing the weather sealing either!

After hearing all the complaints about price - yes, it's high, but then i've heard similar at a Jessops about the 70-200 f/2.8 - and photographers still buy it.

There was a lot of folks eyeing up buying it too - the dealers are making brisk sales of the model it seems with preorders.

Fun thing definitely worth trying to see some of the Canon talks if anything appeals -

http://www.focus-on-imaging.net/news/?cat=5 (Canon talks halfway down).

Histogram - is it outlined?
I'd take Neuro's advice - take a high ISO photo and look at it zoomed in.
Maybe take shots of the lights and do the same and see if you get black halos?
Q about if movie crop feature is available.
Q about f8 focusing (it's unlikely they'll comment on it i'd imagine though)
(it's pretty evenly lit and fairly well lit in the NEC - I didn't take a meter reading, but it wasn't dark feeling).

You might get away with a HDMI cable (to see if you plug it in during live view if the LCD goes out or stays on - presumably that's not needing to attach anything to the other end jlev23?) - as it's much more unexpected than trying to sneak or ask to put a memory card in. You could either bring it up suddenly or maybe talk about video a bit first.

High ISO video might be doable.
best bet about making a dark scene - you're going to need to create your own.

For anyone going - maybe the trick is to sneak a ND filter on then test the high ISO shots and high ISO video!

PS - Have a play with the silent mode. If you're used to sound, and the sound of the 5DM2 its fun to (not) hear!

It's an upgraded 5D. Pricey, but think of that as a 1 time cost that you get benefits from every time you use it it seems :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:35:54 PM by tt »

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Thanks

( also, will the MK lll viewfinder be free of AF boxes on the focusing screen ? )

1.  According to Canon's website, no.  On the day the 5D Mark III was announced, the BG-E6 did list the Mark III as compatible, but was removed the following day.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/modelSNACompatibles.action?accessoryCid=0901e024800c4fcf&accessoryModelName=Battery+Grip+BG-E6

2.  "It uses a transparent LCD to superimpose a customizable combination of focus points and gridlines directly over the image."

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Frame-Digital-Camera-24-105mm/dp/B007FGZ1V0

"This high-grade viewfinder is further enhanced with the integration of a superimposed transparent LCD that displays autofocus and exposure information. This newly developed Intelligent Viewfinder gives a range of information, and is easily turned off to return you to the clear, unadulterated view from the optical finder itself."

http://www.photouae.org/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-has-finally-arrived
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

tt

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »

Thanks

Canon rep confirmed that the BG-E6 I think for the 5D Mark II doesn't work for the 5DM3.
And the 5DM3's BG-E11 doesn't work with the 5D Mark II.

From what he said - it's physically a different shape/connection.

simonhowes

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »
Cheers all. I'll see what I can do. Doubt I'll be able to slip in a CF card.

I had a private showing at Arri of the 1Dx and C300 days after they were announced, they wouldn't let us use cards then, so I doubt they would let me at a trade show.

I doubt I'll get any numbers from the reps, they tend to repeat what is in the marketing materials.

Video cropping, HDMI out, taking photos at high ISOs is my main area of interest. If there are no cards in the camera, it may be hard to view on screen as it will disappear after a few seconds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
Cheers all. I'll see what I can do. Doubt I'll be able to slip in a CF card.

I had a private showing at Arri of the 1Dx and C300 days after they were announced, they wouldn't let us use cards then, so I doubt they would let me at a trade show.

I doubt I'll get any numbers from the reps, they tend to repeat what is in the marketing materials.

Video cropping, HDMI out, taking photos at high ISOs is my main area of interest. If there are no cards in the camera, it may be hard to view on screen as it will disappear after a few seconds.

Ask about video resolution vs the 5DII!  If the 5DIII is using a method similar to the c300 (full read out bayer sensor but no bayer interpolation or downscaling) and using a full raster read out it should be incredibly sharp.  If it's pixel binning then debayering or line skipping or something it could be softer than the 5DII.  Ask about resolution and sensor readout relative to the c300!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:22:30 PM by Policar »

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
I'd really appreciate feedback on the following: Shoot the same thing at ISO 12800 on both bodies, see if there's a discernable difference in the images on the LCDs.

I'll put in another vote for this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »