October 23, 2014, 12:37:11 PM

Author Topic: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?  (Read 14750 times)

tt

Re: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
AF is good, tried a 85 f/1.2 and 50 f/1.2, it never missed even when choosing an out of centre focus point.

Interesting question from this - will the 5DMkIII make the 85mm f/1.2 and the 50mm f/1.2 focus better & faster?

E.g. you could say the 135mm f/2.0 focuses faster than the 85mm f/1.2 (partly to do with the amount of glass, motor etc, but partly the lenses capability to get focus).

If so, it'll in a sense upgrade folk's lenses. It might take a while to focus, but minimising seek time, and being able to actually focus at lower light levels.... pretty useful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »

WarStreet

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »
Interesting that staff like video crop, which is available on 2 rebels, 60D, Nikon's D4 and D800, is not available on the 5D III ? As far as I know, Canon was first to release this, Nikon added this feature on it's new top end cameras, and Canon ??

Could the lack of video crop have something to do with the new pixel binning thing? If you start to crop into the sensor might this introduce stuff like moire, which they have obviously tried so hard to eliminate?

I thought that it was going to be easier by using the middle 1/3 pixels in the x and y axis. Really, don't know why it was not included. I guess we might see it with a firmware update ? I have a feeling that Canon won't do such updates :( I won't rush to get this cam, since I will have to wait for my supplier to get it, and would like to know more about this camera.

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
... ISO 800 clean, ISO 1600 getting very noisy ...

Thank you for your hands-on experience, Simon.  Noise acceptability is a personal thing, but I find it a little strange that you consider ISO 800 'clean' but 1 stop faster at 1600 it's getting 'very noisy'?  I realise it's hard to convey a subjective opinion RE: noise on an internet forum, but is there no 'slightly noisy' ISO somewhere?  :P

For a bit of perspective, what do you consider to be an acceptable ISO to shoot with your current body/bodies?

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Simple question:  Did they make the locking mode wheel spin 360 or are we forced to go back and forth like the 60D.  That's such a pain.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
There's a 3200 ISO shot of a girl in a wedding dress on the Canon site. Seemed pretty good to me, and significantly better than I could hope for from a 5d2. But yeah, we'll have to see. Jeff Ascough loves the high ISO performance... but maybe he's too much in love with Canon generally :P

alipaulphotography

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
AF is good, tried a 85 f/1.2 and 50 f/1.2, it never missed even when choosing an out of centre focus point.

Interesting question from this - will the 5DMkIII make the 85mm f/1.2 and the 50mm f/1.2 focus better & faster?

E.g. you could say the 135mm f/2.0 focuses faster than the 85mm f/1.2 (partly to do with the amount of glass, motor etc, but partly the lenses capability to get focus).

If so, it'll in a sense upgrade folk's lenses. It might take a while to focus, but minimising seek time, and being able to actually focus at lower light levels.... pretty useful.

I used the 5D3 on Sunday with the 85mm f/1.2 - Close up shots were out of focus A LOT when selecting a focus point over the eye and stopping down to even f/1.6 (yes - this could have been due to calibration errors) - The real disappointment is the lack of precision focus screens for the camera meaning I had no idea that the shots were out of focus until I looked on the LCD.
I have always back button focused and then manually adjusted to ensure exact focus with the precision screens - this is no longer possible with the 5D3 as the focus screen is only sensitive to f/2.5 and is fixed.

Trusting the camera's autofocus entirely when using a wide aperture prime is not ideal and selecting the exact focus point over the eye is time consuming meaning you could miss the shot. Unfortunately the model I was using on the day didn't have precise focus with the 85mm Let's hope it was just a case of calibration. I think I'll stick with the MK2 and the precision screen for now.

cps_user

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
sorry you wasted your time with this whole thread. 10 minutes isn't nearly enough to get a decent impression. We'll just have to wait for the first real reviews.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
my guess is we have a nikon fanboy here trying to put us off iso 800 clean then 1600 very very noisy absolute rubbish!

simonhowes

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
10 minutes isn't enough time, and the reps were not very helpful. I'm sorry about that!  ;D If it was a trade show or private viewing my answers would have been better. I've worked at plenty of public exhibitions and an exhibitor for Arcam, Fujitsu Plasmavision, Monitor Audio and Birmingham City University. Worst three days you'll ever do in your life!

Noise, acceptable for what, it depends on the output, that is the answer. ISO 1600, or even 3200 is fine for most things.  800 was silky smooth and wouldn't require any post noise reduction, 1600 there was some luminance noise, 3200 luminance and chroma noise so I would add noise reduction if I was to make a large print. 3200 or even 6400 would be fine for editorial work for news print. It's not a low light monster like the D3/D4 or 1Dx.

There is not much I could have done when indoors. I pointed it at the skylights and checked shadows in the roof space, looked at areas under tables etc. I couldn't do anything like push shadows in post to check noise for banding etc.

Answer your question to what am I used to. My only dSLR is a 50D. I do not like to use it above 400 ISO, and pushing shadows even at ISO 100 introduces banding and cross hatches. That is my acceptable level. I still shoot 135 with my Contax too. My main job is a boom op, and when its down time I work as a photographic assistant in ad and corporate work. Sometimes the 5D II appears, if not I'm used to 900R, D21, Red One or F35. When I'm working in stills the cameras and backs I'm used to working with are D3, D3x, 1D IV, and mix of 645's with Phase One or Leaf backs. Photogs I work with have the DSLRs for low light or low res, and the medium formats for studio or when larger res is required. 5D is a middle road, and so is the D800, so is an odd camera for them to justify. I have shot several times with the 5D II, I do get them hired, and it has the same AF as my 50D. Any new AF system to the 5D is a godsend. Shooting with a 85mm f1.2 and using a out of centre focus point most the time it is out of focus even in good light, and sometimes carries on searching. In low light I wouldn't rely on the 5D II at all. Is the III AF faster, you bet-ya! The 5D is Canon's only answer to a studio camera now that they removed the 1Ds, poor AF was the only thing stopping the 5D from being used by many. I'd hate working as a DIT with a 5D II, checking each photo as they came through and noticing the are all looking soft, you wont get that with the III as it will get focus most, if not all of the time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:25:58 PM by simonhowes »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
Interesting that staff like video crop, which is available on 2 rebels, 60D, Nikon's D4 and D800, is not available on the 5D III ? As far as I know, Canon was first to release this, Nikon added this feature on it's new top end cameras, and Canon ??

Could the lack of video crop have something to do with the new pixel binning thing? If you start to crop into the sensor might this introduce stuff like moire, which they have obviously tried so hard to eliminate?

I thought that it was going to be easier by using the middle 1/3 pixels in the x and y axis. Really, don't know why it was not included. I guess we might see it with a firmware update ? I have a feeling that Canon won't do such updates :( I won't rush to get this cam, since I will have to wait for my supplier to get it, and would like to know more about this camera.

They could at least read 2x2 blocks like the 300 does and take a 2/3 crop. And even a tighter crop although it would be plagued by issues, would be good for when the subject is far and what can you do but live with moire etc.

simonhowes

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
I think someone may have played with calibration. The camera I used was bang on almost every time. Why I asked for the f/1.2, I know they are nightmare on the II.

I used the 5D3 on Sunday with the 85mm f/1.2 - Close up shots were out of focus A LOT when selecting a focus point over the eye and stopping down to even f/1.6 (yes - this could have been due to calibration errors) - The real disappointment is the lack of precision focus screens for the camera meaning I had no idea that the shots were out of focus until I looked on the LCD.
I have always back button focused and then manually adjusted to ensure exact focus with the precision screens - this is no longer possible with the 5D3 as the focus screen is only sensitive to f/2.5 and is fixed.

Trusting the camera's autofocus entirely when using a wide aperture prime is not ideal and selecting the exact focus point over the eye is time consuming meaning you could miss the shot. Unfortunately the model I was using on the day didn't have precise focus with the 85mm Let's hope it was just a case of calibration. I think I'll stick with the MK2 and the precision screen for now.

GL

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
Sorry mate, do you expect us to believe that a sensor with the same resolution but with new gapless and sensor electronics technology is not cleaner than its predecessor? ISO 1600 very, very noisy?! ISO 1600 is beautiful on the 5D2 - maybe a touch of noise if you're underexposing. And I'll believe the D800 comes anywhere close to the 5D3 at ISO 6400 without resizing when I see it.

Remember, what you see on the LCD is a JPEG preview, even if you're shooting RAW. That's the case with any DSLR.

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Simon, thank you for sharing your impressions! I will also be waiting for the reviews to see how the IQ compares to mark 2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »

3kramd5

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
At f8, told the AF does not work at all (reps seemed out of their depth to really answer)

So they actually had a super tele + extender strapped to the camera?

edit: my mistake, I didn't see the word "told" in your post.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

tt

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

Agreed its a pain that the focus screen is gone. However they have improved be AFMA to individual serial numbers so on a per lens basis and if it's a zoom to have a MA for wide and close.

If a 5DMkIII user can trust the AF point once calibrated its less of an issue.  Won't know for a bit.
Luckily the issues of the MkII are well known so they'll be well tested in decent reviews to check out improvements.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »