October 01, 2014, 12:48:56 PM

Author Topic: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?  (Read 14681 times)

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: I have my hands on a 5D III and 1Dx tomorrow. Questions?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
so, when you say the hdmi out mirrors whats on the screen, does that mean the lcd screen on the camera stayed on when you had an external monitor attached??? like you could see both at once? that would be a big revaluation if so and what a lot of people are waiting to hear, tell me its true!!!

What benefit do you see in being able to look at the screen and a monitor at the same time?  Am I missing something?
so you can have someone else viewing what you are shooting, like a client or director, without having to also have an bulky onboard monitor with loop through sdi daisy chained to the client monitor.
its not for stills, for shooting video.
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

simonhowes

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
Also do not forget anyone working in continuity. They need to see the whole frame at all times. It's also good if you need to record to an external recorder. RAW would be perfect, but also to a backup. 5D II is not good enough for cinematic screen, and the bit-rate is too low for broadcast to be acceptable. I can't wait to see how the III fairs. The RAW output that Nikon are pushing might be too much hype.

so, when you say the hdmi out mirrors whats on the screen, does that mean the lcd screen on the camera stayed on when you had an external monitor attached??? like you could see both at once? that would be a big revaluation if so and what a lot of people are waiting to hear, tell me its true!!!

What benefit do you see in being able to look at the screen and a monitor at the same time?  Am I missing something?
so you can have someone else viewing what you are shooting, like a client or director, without having to also have an bulky onboard monitor with loop through sdi daisy chained to the client monitor.
its not for stills, for shooting video.

wtf1234567

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
Yes, is it worth getting a 1dx instead of 5d3 for wedding photog and events work?
seems 5d3 is perfect already for my work....just wondering why need to pay more to get 1dx instead...
thanks

Maxis Gamez

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Bird Photography
    • View Profile
    • Bird Photography in Florida
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »
Can you please find out if the 1D X will focus at f/8 like the 1D MK4? Meaning a f/4 lens with a 2X attached.

There has been a lot of talk about Canon not supporting f/8 any longer which is a huge problem for wildlife photographers.

Thank you.

www.gvisions.org - Bird Photography

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
In conclusion, the 5D III is a full framed 7D. There was no answer to the price, especially when compared to the D800. I think the reps knew this, but couldn't answer it publicly, I think the look in their eyes said enough. D800 has the edge in all areas, but IQ on the D800 may be just as good, if not slightly better. It is not a low light camera, the same is said for the D800.

Thanks for the laugh.  ;D Even by just reading the specs one can tell you that a lot of your, uh, "first-hand" impressions are rather inaccurate. Even by just reading the previews from some unbiased websites would belie your claims.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2012, 04:11:18 AM »
Simon, you don't do yourself any service if you mix up your impressions from 10 minutes "play" and LCD-viewing with any firm conclusions about a rather sophisticated product of a company with very long camera making tradition. This seems a whim of youth to be heard which I can understand and accept but let me caution your statements and wait until we all have more sound basis for discussion. You may be right but the chances are not very high.
No one has appropriate software to view the files of the 5D3 and D800 in full specs. Everything we see now is just peeping into our parents' bedroom...

The only thing I'd like to know and which can be seen without DPP and RAW converters and CF cards is the quality of the focusing screen. But I guess everyone has to look there for himself and I'm not asking you for your impression after 10 minutes of play.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:13:25 AM by te4o »
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

sphax

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »
I think you're all a bit mean with Simon here ... he proposed to share his experience with us, to ask questions we were having, and to give us his experience back here, in this forum.

Just do whatever you want with what he says ! I don't believe him for everything he says, but I thank him for trying to give us some more information. I think that no one here is so idiot that he's gonna read this and change his mind, so no harm taken men ! Just read this, disagree, and get over it.

As for me I'll say thanks Simon. But I'll wait for further deeper tests to make up my mind.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

sphax

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »
Indeed if you just read all of the links of the reviews of the 5DmkIII you find one that displays tests at every ISO level !! And you find this picture @ISO12800 in full resolution (5,6Mb heavy) that clearly proves that those ISOs are really really good on this camera :

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1779795.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1331032376&Signature=7TZD0GaCD2Tv3NrY12UccliGdSk%3d

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »