November 25, 2014, 11:48:07 PM

Author Topic: Apparently, Nikon users are switching to Canon...  (Read 5921 times)

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
Apparently, Nikon users are switching to Canon...
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
I've listed my 5D Mk II for sale on craigslist and received two responses from people who told me they are switching from Nikon and asked if I had a lens they could try the camera out with. There is also someone with an ad offering to trade their D700 for a 5D Mk II.

Could it be that D700 owners were waiting patiently to see what Canon and Nikon have come up with and simply decided the best answer is to go for a deal on a used 5D Mk II?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:03:07 PM by bchernicoff »
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

canon rumors FORUM

Apparently, Nikon users are switching to Canon...
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »

tasteofjace

Re: Apparently, Nikon users are switching to Canon...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
Both the MK3 and D800 appear to be very good cameras. I don't think either camera warrants users of either brand to jump ship if they have already invested in glass.

It's the nature of rivaling companies to leap frog one another as time goes on, so I think it's much safer to just choose a side and stay on it, rather than chasing whatever seems to be the best thing out there at the moment.

XanuFoto

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
Don't know about switching but many of the D700 guys (especially the ones shooting weddings) did not want to go D800 because of the files size. The fashion guys used to use D3X anyway. Now the 3DX was 24MP right? So will the fashion guys go to the D4 at 16.2 or will they go to the D800 or D800E. I would think the Fashion and Landscape guys will go to the D800.

XanuFoto

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
Both the MK3 and D800 appear to be very good cameras. I don't think either camera warrants users of either brand to jump ship if they have already invested in glass.

It's the nature of rivaling companies to leap frog one another as time goes on, so I think it's much safer to just choose a side and stay on it, rather than chasing whatever seems to be the best thing out there at the moment.
Very well said.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

I agree. However, the fact remains...
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,

XanuFoto

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
If I had the D700 I am not switching to the MKII. The D700 might have less MP but it has a darn good AF system. Now if they also need good video I can see the move.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »
I guess to be fair, the two people that contacted me didn't say which Nikon body they were switching from. It was only the person offering to trade a D700 for a 5D Mk II which led me to that conclusion. The others could be moving up to full-frame for the first time.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

smirkypants

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:57:28 PM »
The implication, of course, is that people are frivolous and everybody is dumb. The truth is that different cameras meet different needs. The 5D3 is better for an events/wedding photographer and a D800 is better for a studio/landscape photographer. Nothing tricky.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
The implication, of course, is that people are frivolous and everybody is dumb. The truth is that different cameras meet different needs. The 5D3 is better for an events/wedding photographer and a D800 is better for a studio/landscape photographer. Nothing tricky.

Yep

richard_mitchell

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
No pro would switch at this point in time, period. These are brand new cameras and completely untested. In 4-7 months, that could change. Anyone switching, based on specs and demo shots, isnt a pro in my book.

I find it funny that both forums are filled with "the grass is greener" posts. Ahhhhhh...  ;D

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
No pro would switch at this point in time, period.

You're right. The more I think about it, these are probably amaterus that are looking to move to full-frame and see discounted 5D Mk II's as being the best option.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1

smirkypants

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
At this time? At what other time? What better time to switch than at the start of a new generation of cameras that you'll be shooting with for the next three to four years?

SPG

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
At this time? At what other time? What better time to switch than at the start of a new generation of cameras that you'll be shooting with for the next three to four years?
I think they meant that a pro would at least wait to get their hands on the camera and see more real world feedback.
There are always people, some of them are even pros, who just get swept up in the hype and love the drama surrounding a switch or even just a major purchase. I'll admit I get it too, but at least I can usually contain myself until I research a bit more and make a sound purchase decision. I'd love to get my hands on a 5DIII today, but I'm going to wait until there are a few more out there in the wild and we get to hear some real feedback from owners, and not just people who got one for a day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »

erfon

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »

yes... and no.

i'm one of the switchers, i'm going from the nikon d300 to the mark iii.  so that means i'm also going full frame. 

i've been a nikon user for about 8 years.  here's why i'm switching.

upgrade path

i don't feel like nikon gave me an upgrade path.  nikon has been stuck at 12MP for YEARS, and i'm ready for more.  the 16MP in D4 isn't enough for what i need, and i also am not spending 6k on a camera. 

the d800's 36MP is too much for me.  i don't want to manage HUGE file sizes, and though i could always shoot at smaller image sizes on the D800 (nikon even recommends this), the camera is still having process those huge files to make the images smaller, so you're still stuck at 4 frames per second.  not nearly enough for me.

lenses, and this is a big one for me. 

the nikkor 24-70mm is really beautiful, and so is the 70-200mm, but even in those lenses i haven't found their bokeh to be as beautiful as canon's.  i've spent tons of hours researching images on flickr, andi feel like the canon lenses almost always look better than nikon's do. 

nikon's recent anti-consumer anti-competitive pricing policies. 

nikon recently implemented a "universal pricing policy" that basically forces all their authorized dealers to price nikon items at MSRP or lose their right to buy nikon products.  this really pisses me off.  this made all nikon products increase in price 15-30% OVERNIGHT. 

why would nikon do this to their loyal customers?  what's wrong with price competition? they claim they wanted to even the playing ground, making the decision to buy a camera at your local camera store more even price-wise, claiming it eliminates bigger stores (like B&H) ability to "unfairly" complete with lower prices.  the idea is know we'll all be willing to go to our local stores because price is the same wherever you go — it's bullcrap. 

small camera stores shouldn't be given this pricing crutch.  they should learn to compete in other ways, like offering excellent service. offering classes.  and if they can't compete, they should go out of business. 

i want to know what the other side has to offer

i bet 90% of the "canon vs. nikon nikon vs. canon" arguments are by people who have only ever used one brand.  i don't want to be that guy comparing specs.  i want to know first hands how both systems work, their respective strengths and weaknesses, and then i want to make a decision on which system to use (maybe both!).

i'm a nikon user because i've always been a nikon user.  my dad gave me my first camera in college and it was a nikon, so that's the brand i stuck with.

is canon better?  i'm sure it is in certain ways.  but i'm looking forward to finding out first hand.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:31:16 PM by erfon »

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
I am not seeing a great deal of movement either way in the landscape world, based on commentary on those forums regarding the 5DM3 and D800.   Price of upgrade is likely a point of consideration.  But others seem content with what they already use.  Keeping the 5DM2 in the lineup was probably a great decision by Canon.

Speaking for myself in landscape photography, MF-level detail is wonderful, but I do not want to be stuck at ISO 100 shooting.  Many landscape shots are done in low light - sunsets, night shots, storms and other dynamic lighting conditions.  These scenes are most often taken on a tripod, mirror-up, etc - but this does not freeze clouds, stars, and other time elements. 

That said, I think there will be some interesting approaches taken in the landscape world with both cameras.  And I suspect many pros will wait until the cameras are here before they decide on their direction, if any upgrade occurs at all.

Any perspective from studio photographers?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:37:33 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »