November 29, 2014, 01:37:26 AM

Author Topic: When will Canon launch the EOS 3D?  (Read 2197 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
When will Canon launch the EOS 3D?
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
First, let me state that I think that the 5D MkIII is going to be an awesome 'all-rounder' camera, however there are still quite a few people who want more megapixels.  The D800 has caused quite a sensation (I've even heard a dedicated medium format film fan talking about buying one and going digital) and whilst I'm sure that Canon will be happy with 5D MkIII sales, I'm think that there will also be a bitter feeling of "that show used to belong to us!" at Canon HQ. 

There was quite a few rumours of a 39MP sensored prototype some months back and now I'm wondering whether Canon will be tempted to put it into a production body.  Another question would be whether this would be a 1Ds X, a 5Ds MkIII, or call it something new like a "3D".  I don't think that a 1Ds X is likely, following Canon's marketing line that the 1D and 1Ds have been amalgamated.  Futhermore, the previous Canon and Nikon generation showed that there wasn't as much demand for a full size high resolution body as for a compact/lower price model.  That leaves either a 5Ds MkIII (essentially just a 5D MkII with a high resolution sensor) or something new -call it a 3D.  The former would be low frame rate (I guess ~ 3.5fps with a single Digic 5), the latter might be dual-digic 5, with 5+fps.  This would allow Canon to more easily exploit a higher price point than either the 5D MkIII or D800.  I also believe that there's noting wrong in marketing terms with using the "3D" moniker; it's doubtful that anyone buying a camera at this price point would get confused with 3D capabilities.  It might also be a good marketing line "resolution that gives your pictures the 3D look" etc.

Yes, I know that Canon have only just announced the 5D MkIII, but this is a rumours site and so I feel that speculation is acceptable, even at this early stage! An EOS 3D would be a welcome addition that would be good marketing and satisfy demand for a "big print" camera from landscape photographers who can't justify medium format prices. 

canon rumors FORUM

When will Canon launch the EOS 3D?
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: When will Canon launch the EOS 3D?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
The 3D has been rumored for so many years, that it's existence has unfortunately been taken to mythical status.  If the D800 is successful during the next few months (giving the 5D Mark III a run for its money), then Canon could very well decide to fill the gap between the 1D and 5D lines.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

crasher7

Unicorns
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
Let's stick to realistic hopes and dreams like a 70D or 7Dmk2.

Oh and my favorite, the 300Dmk2.
The 6.9 MP WunderKamera. 89% VF, 3 pt. AF, CF card, max capacity 256 MB, permanently affixed Canon EOS Strap, Lens cap leash, 18-55 3.5 ISL and BG-69 Battery Grip which takes 3 'C' batteries,
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:54:59 PM by crasher7 »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
The 3D has been rumored for so many years, that it's existence has unfortunately been taken to mythical status.  If the D800 is successful during the next few months (giving the 5D Mark III a run for its money), then Canon could very well decide to fill the gap between the 1D and 5D lines.

The 5D3 is the 3D other than it fell one unfortunate fps slow.
Top AF, smaller than 1 series, 6.9fps (err 6.0 fps as it turned out), but it's basically it minus that it has no option to quite manage true action fps (6.0 is sort of there, maybe half the time, lots better than 3-5fps though which are never there).

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »
Neuro has gathered all most important differences between 5d3 and 1dx. From that comparison I've read, there is still a place for something between them. Big MP studio and landscapes champ would be appropriate in such a place. 3D name is currently misleading, so better it would be 2D - great name for flat pictures from it :)
When? Now it's seems never be a good time for it this year although in June it would be nice to hear an announcement.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

D.Sim

Re: Unicorns
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:22 AM »
Let's stick to realistic hopes and dreams like a 70D or 7Dmk2.

Oh and my favorite, the 300Dmk2.
The 6.9 MP WunderKamera. 89% VF, 3 pt. AF, CF card, max capacity 256 MB, permanently affixed Canon EOS Strap, Lens cap leash, 18-55 3.5 ISL and BG-69 Battery Grip which takes 3 'C' batteries,

I wouldnt mind a sub-10megapix crop camera if it had good ISO levels... cheap mans version of an FF?  :P

kitomo

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
The 5D3 is the 3D other than it fell one unfortunate fps slow.
Top AF, smaller than 1 series, 6.9fps (err 6.0 fps as it turned out), but it's basically it minus that it has no option to quite manage true action fps (6.0 is sort of there, maybe half the time, lots better than 3-5fps though which are never there).
This. The 5D Mk III is the EOS 3D. Look at the stats of the two cameras. They're very similar. In fact, the Mk III is actually superior in a number of areas. The main features of the EOS 3 that people wanted in a mythical EOS 3D were frame rate, AF and weather sealing - and that's all in the Mk III (and before anyone says the Mk III isn't fully weather sealed, it's sealed as well as the EOS 3).

Also, it's worth remembering that while the EOS 3 was capable of 6.9fps, it could only achieve that with the booster grip attached. It dropped back to around 4fps if using the basic body. So actually, compared directly side-by-side, the Mk III is faster than the EOS 3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »