May 27, 2018, 12:00:50 PM

Author Topic: Should photographers hibernate?  (Read 10771 times)

Cannon Man

Re: Should photographers hibernate?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:38:27 AM »
I know what you mean. I live in Finland and we do have snow but its friggin' cold here! Now its -26c (-14f) and i really dont like freezing my butt out outside. Many winters i have only taken only couple hundred pictures but now i take pictures for a living so i have to use my imagination and mostly shoot studio portraits in the winter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:38:27 AM »

Lyra Video Productions

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Lyra Video Productions
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
I've been struggling with the same problem here in Tennessee, although with the Smoky Mountains nearby a decent photograph is only a short drive away. 

Something I decided to try my hand at last week was astrophotography time lapse.  The winter sky is beautiful at night if you can get away from city lights.  Of course, we are somewhat limited if we don't have some kind of tracking set up, but I still had a blast. Just make sure to wear tons of layers--it gets chilly out there.

MazV-L

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Have you tried Light Art Performance Photography?

Ryusui

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
I wish I had any kind of a winter to shoot - icy, dead or otherwise.

Where I live, it's year-round summer.  No beautiful fall colors, no pastel spring, no winter wonderland.  Just sun, sun, sun and green-brown flora.  Many people consider this place to be a "tropical paradise" but to me it's kind of hell.  I crave architecture, derelict buildings, subways, snow, falling leaves (palm fronds don't count)...

I have none of this here.  So what I do is I make myself work for it.  I go and force myself to look at everything around me and find something I like.  I love setting up abstract concepts, shooting "scenarios" or scripted scenes, models and portraits, and recently discovered how much I enjoy street photography (though really, we only have one street where anything like this is truly possible).

I think that regardless of where you are or what your situation is, there's still things you haven't tried and very likely something out there that you can find enjoyment in at any time of the year.

MTL-CPS_shooter

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
Wait a second here... Your still shooting film... If you do shoot B+W and process it yourself, go nuts, push film beyond its limits and get funky. Ever see an image with iso400 shot at 25000? Imagine life in a reverse nuanced canvas... Use shadows and darkness as your mains and capture glows from lights or from over exposed areas. Play with silouettes...

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:56 PM »
I live in Texas (DFW) and I feel your pain.  Everything is brown now, and there is a dearth of wildlife- scary really.

I live for the weekends for one thing.  I have been finding new, and rediscovering nature parks and taking pics while hiking off my winter fat.  My passion is wildlife photography, so now, not much to shoot.

Therefore, I try shooting anything.  I go to old towns, shoot grain mills, shoot buildings.  The zoos are good.  Look into photo meetups.  Here we have meetups ranging from kinky people to just about anything you can imagine.  Spring will be here in a few weeks and it will be green and hot again.

sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

ScottyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:30 AM »
Cardinals don't fly south for winter like most photogenic birds do.  I am up here in PA and I have been stalking the pair of cardinals we sometimes see at our bird feeder out on the deck.  Terribly elusive, though.  I only managed to get the camera out once while they were in a good position, but I cropped his tail off.  The few bad photos were so close to good, though, that I keep waiting for another chance.  There were snowflakes in the shot and everything.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 02:13:30 AM »

Ahven

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
I live up here in the northern parts of Finland and the sun doesn't come up at all for some time in the dead of winter. This is not a problem for me though because I enjoy long shutter speed nighttime photography. With a little practice and a good tripod you can take a scene that your naked eye cannot even see, put 5 minutes of shutter speed and every picture is a surprise! I like the feeling when you are waiting for the long exposure and you never know exactly how it'll turn out or what kind of colors it will have. Up here we have the northern lights which are a great subject, but you don't necessarily nee that, because any scene, especially dead trees and nature, will take on an eerie otherwordly appearance with this method. Try it out, its a lot of fun!

Greetings from Lapland!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahven1/6765034613/#

well_dunno

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »
I do shoot less during the winter but no hibernation, instead I sit next to the stove and spend time in CR forums  ;D 

Ahven, that is a very nice shot!

NormanBates

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • www.similaar.com
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 04:11:11 AM »
@OP:
You're not alone. This very nice 3-years-old blog post proves it. And it also offers some interesting ideas.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2009/02/breaking-photographers-block

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
I've been thinking of hibernating untill all the excitement over the 5D MK III dies down.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »
I've been thinking of hibernating untill all the excitement over the 5D MK III dies down.

I went on holiday for 3 days so missed most of the fallout from the event :D

I can see no one is getting over the price anytime soon
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:19 AM »