September 18, 2014, 10:02:04 AM

Author Topic: How is Canon going to compete with the grey market in Australia?  (Read 22429 times)

4thchicken

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: How is Canon going to compete with the grey market in Australia?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »

honestly I'm a bit confused about this grey market thing. these products are sold by well known companies so I suppose they're not illegal, we also get the same product as being sold by local big retailers with the same 1 year warranty and I believe these products are from the same manufacturer which is CANON, so what's the difference?

Only difference is that the items are not imported via the official importer (i.e. canon australia) and are therefore not subject to price gouging/profiteering by the importer. Based on current exchange rates, there's an approx $1000 USD price difference b/n US and australian pricing of the 5dIII. Even taking into account taxes and potential shipping cost differentials, canon stand to make a bucketload by putting up barriers to prevent nasty grey importing (i.e. not providing warranties) and encouraging people to 'buy local'.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »

nighstar

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
honestly I'm a bit confused about this grey market thing. these products are sold by well known companies so I suppose they're not illegal, we also get the same product as being sold by local big retailers with the same 1 year warranty and I believe these products are from the same manufacturer which is CANON, so what's the difference?

in addition to what 4thchicken said, i see it this way:

local stores bring products like the 5D Mark III to a store near you. support them in this effort. they don't like the ridiculous prices that Canon puts out anymore than customers do, so don't punish them by withholding your business because they aren't the ones who set the prices.

just my opinion on the whole "let's go gray!" thing.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

local stores bring products like the 5D Mark III to a store near you. support them in this effort. they don't like the ridiculous prices that Canon puts out anymore than customers do, so don't punish them by withholding your business because they aren't the ones who set the prices.

You do have a point!
But my nearest camera store is Ted's :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:12:37 PM »
The topbuytop prices look pretty good.

They get a good eBay rating; has anyone had experience with them?

april

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »

Only difference is that the items are not imported via the official importer (i.e. canon australia) and are therefore not subject to price gouging/profiteering by the importer. Based on current exchange rates, there's an approx $1000 USD price difference b/n US and australian pricing of the 5dIII. Even taking into account taxes and potential shipping cost differentials, canon stand to make a bucketload by putting up barriers to prevent nasty grey importing (i.e. not providing warranties) and encouraging people to 'buy local'.
[/quote]

ahhh ok so the main key here is canon australia and that they wanted to monopolise destribution and deny competition.....how greedy is that?. on the marketing side where canon global has given the SRP this means all the dealers and retailers have their mark up already on that price... and they still want more!!! when I was undergoing bussiness training some years ago, I was taught to have at least 50% markup for the every product to keep up. I can just imagine how much the camera is really worth thinking that it gone through so may hands before it reaches me.

nighstar

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »

You do have a point!

well, by "local" i don't necessarily mean only stores that are physically near you. there are Australian-owned & run businesses with Aussie stock that have websites and who ship nationally, like CameraPro in Brisbane or Leederville Camera in Perth. both have the Mark III and ship Australia-wide. :)

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
I can't support rip-offs. No go. If there's a cheaper price this should be the paid price. Fullstop.
If these go-betweens can't survive, sorry, they'll have to find another business. Or adapt to markets. There are many bad things about globalization, this is one of them. But the good thing is that we can exchange opinions and reviews and this helps with choices.
Yes, topbuy did a good job for me. I had to find out some days after ordering that they wanted me to confirm a minor VISA-card top-up amount which helps them against fraud. This made a good impression to me even if it doesn't prevent fraud but still. The only thing which I don't like are the separate shipping costs for all items, you can't get a bulk shipment (like DSLR+battery+grip+lens++++). But this relieves me from the pressure to order everything at once!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »

Canon has separate divisions setup around the world.  Each division operates like a separate company, and has to comply with local laws, etc.  They only provide warranties for the cameras they actually sell. 

I'm not defending this, but mentioned it to explain why things are so stupid.

Long ago, he US government used to enforce Canon, Nikon, and Pentax gray market rules and customs would seize any gray market imports.  This was happening until at least the late 1960's.

In order to buy a gray market camera from Hong Kong (at a much lower price), we could order it from the dealer, and they would remove the logo if possible, or paint it out with black or matching paint to get it past customs.

Then they would send you the logo and lens cap, manuals, etc by separate mail so you could glue the logo back on and get the manuals and accessories.  finally, someone passed a law telling customs to stop it, and US prices dropped.

I still remember that we bought all brands of cameras from TK Wood in Hong Kong.  I don't find a record of them on the internet now.

nighstar

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »
Absolute total rubbish.

They don't "like" the price? If they don't like the price, why are they selling it? IT'S BECAUSE SOMEONE'S BUYING. Profit is profit. Save the retailer whinging BS. Tell them to go whine and complain to the distributor or fuck off. Close the shop. Go out of business. They can go bankrupt all day for all I care, I don't give a flying fuck.

They even actually have the audacity to come out and spew their BS about online prices ruining business.

They even asked the government to put tax on items less than $1000 from oversea AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TAX PAYERS, so that they can continue their disgusting profiteering behaviour. It cost government more to administrate and tax on items less than $1000 than what the government get in return.

Local overpriced retailers gets no sympathy from me. They are just as guilty as distributor.

JB Hi-Fi is a good example. They acutally have some business sense and sells grey import. This forced Nikon to actually lower the price. They have my support. Ted, Paxton, and others are just whinging cry babies. Fuck off.

? i think you missed something from what i said as i wasn't even referring to chain stores like JB Hi-Fi, Ted's, Camerahouse, etc. i completely agree with you regarding them.

the stores that i was referring to are smaller, privately and Australian owned/run stores, such as the two stores i link to above. in fact those stores are pre-ordering the Mark III for cheaper than Ted's, JB Hi-Fi etc and it's because they are trying to be competitive.

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:02 AM »
maybe a letter, as dilbert suggested, would be the way to go, but i really can't see it accomplishing anything.  :'(

It forces Canon Australia to acknowledge and respond to the issue.

You may get a letter back from Canon that is just rubbish (they ignore the issue or pretend that nothing is wrong) but if you do, that's the kind of letter you photograph and upload to your blog/facebook/canon rumors. That can bring about change.

Of course, they may just ignore you, but companies very rarely ignore written letters to their CEO if the letter is well constructed and is intelligent (i.e. it doesn't rant.) Why do they take them seriously? Because very few people make an effort to actually do so.
maybe we can send that sort of letter with all our signatures on it :)

Good idea.  In fact perhaps we should start up a dedicated thread 'Letter to Australian Canon CEO - Please explain Australian prices' and all add our voices to it?  Who's good at writing letters?

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:10 AM »

You do have a point!

I agree.  In fact I just placed my order with http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/ (which was recommended by simonxu11 - thanks) for the 5DIII at $AU3599 (inc GST) which I think is reasonable compared to RRP's we're seeing.  I ordered via telephone, spoke to a friendly staff member and left a $400 deposit.  They expect to have stock by the end of the month.  They also offer the 24-70II kit for an extra $2200 (if I remember correctly) and I was very tempted but I think I'll wait.  They also offered an extended Canon warranty (extra 2 years) for $199. 

Edit: I've bought grey before but if I can help it I'd rather buy local.  It's no good for anyone for local businesses to go down.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:58:34 AM by melbournite »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 01:06:24 AM »

You do have a point!

I agree.  In fact I just placed my order with http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/ (which was recommended by simonxu11 - thanks) for the 5DIII at $AU3599 (inc GST) which I think is reasonable compared to RRP's we're seeing.  I ordered via telephone, spoke to a friendly staff member and left a $400 deposit.  They expect to have stock by the end of the month.  They also offer the 24-70II kit for an extra $2200 (if I remember correctly) and I was very tempted but I think I'll wait.  They also offered an extended Canon warranty (extra 2 years) for $199. 

Edit: I've bought grey before but if I can help it I'd rather buy local.  It's no good for anyone for local businesses to go down.

After going out for a weekend shooting and getting home Sunday night to find a lens cap or other bits missing, being able to walk into a store on Monday morning and buy replacements then and there has enormous value.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
Awesome just rang them and ordered one too i'm in the first shipment :D $3599

they are doing kits with the 24-70 mk2 at$5899 too

camera electronic prices are $4299 and $6799 respectivley

Leederville made a point of saying they are making it this price to send a message to canon that the price gouging is unacceptable and that they want to try to compete with the online pricing.

I have some loyalty to camera electronic however 2 local stores that close to me with such a price difference it's accademic really. i hope they are still doing the 24-70 kit deals after i've had a chance to test the lens out
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:11:54 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »

Thanks to all those people who have posted comments in regard to this interesting topic.

It's by making noise on 'significant' websites such as this that can make Canon (and other big Corp.) execs take notice. I'm really glad to see the momentum that is building.

Rest assured: the execs of such companies listen - they have paid teams keeping an eye on these more 'notable' sites, checking on how things are panning out. Yes, that's right, I know you're here. No, I don't give a proverbial about the negative Karma that you'll pile-on after this post :-D

So, keep it up! Emailing them and letting them know that you'll be bringing it up with your local federal member in Australia can be particularly useful ;-)

Can I add: it's a little hypocritical that these big companies are quick to point out about the "global economy" when it comes to cutting local jobs and hiring overseas, yet they are so keen to maintain their (grossly inflated, totally unjustifiable) regional pricing schemes in various countries.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »
Ok heres my 2c on the whole "grey" thing.

Issue 1

If its a "grey" import that has no warranty then its a bad thing.
If on the other hand the company imports it with warranty (even if limited) then move on to the next issue..

Issue 2

The company is based on eBay or the internet and do not sell their "greys" via a local base.

This is the reason why people like Kogen and JB are doing so well in the "grey" market. They are buying in bulk, getting through customs with little GST hike and then selling from a bricks and mortar base on the mainland. Even if a majority of their sales are done through their web site.

I for one am waiting to see what Kogen are selling the 5D3 for in the next few months. If its anything like their 5D2 discounts* i know where my money will be going.

*yes the internet prices like B&H or DWI may be slightly cheaper but you will get hit with import Taxes and GST due to it being over $1000 don't forget.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »